VOR returns to Melbourne 2017-18

Alysun

Australia
Glad they are finally back in Australia considering the number of Australians crewing. But no in Port race wtf... Worst time of the year to plan a trip from Sydney around Christmas time...

Last edited by a moderator:

duncan (the other one)

Super Anarchist
Siderney
I don't really get their decisions some times.

Why not make Tassie a waypoint ? It'd make for much more spectacular footage, and more coastal / near-coastal time -- which surely increases coverage ?

Ditto NZ -- should be Auckland to Cape Horn via Cook Strait, Waipapa light or Stewart Island. The way its mapped out now, they pop out of Auckland and they're gone

Alhadder

Super Anarchist
Left coast of Oz
Excellent stuff that the VOR yachts are going to Melbourne.

My question is this - back in the 2005/06 race, when they last stopped in Melbourne, and the two races before then, there was a waypoint off the South Coast of Western Australia at Eclipse Island, about 10nm south of my home town of Albany. Will Eclipse Island be a waypoint in this edition? From the map on the media release they've published it doesn't look like it but I'm not ruling it out. I'll be emailing the race organisers to find out.

Some of you may recall that in the 2005/06 race that 2 yachts actually stopped in Albany for a quick pitstop. Movistar & Pirates of the Caribbean. That's about the time when I found out about this place.

R

Rob Zabukovec

I don't really get their decisions some times.Why not make Tassie a waypoint ? It'd make for much more spectacular footage, and more coastal / near-coastal time -- which surely increases coverage ?Ditto NZ -- should be Auckland to Cape Horn via Cook Strait, Waipapa light or Stewart Island. The way its mapped out now, they pop out of Auckland and they're gone
+1...... Look at the extra coverage JPD got in the Vendee Globe this time round by going through Bass Strait.

SCARECROW

Super Anarchist
Melbourne, Aus
No. 99% of the Australian population including 20% of the sailing population won't even know it's happening, but they'll still tune in to the Hobart on Boxing Day.

Chasm

Super Anarchist
Without in-port, or as a 24h stop: Meh.

Certainly a top way to do a double point leg, splitting it in two. :rolleyes:

Anywho. We'll find out what happens soon enough.

Terrorvision

Super Anarchist
Glad they are finally back in Australia considering the number of Australians crewing. But no in Port race wtf... Worst time of the year to plan a trip from Sydney around Christmas time...
Follow the money -- two in-ports in China

Probably more to do with safety- a week stopover to check the boats for damage and no in-port so the crew can rest/swap-out as needed.

Tropical Madness

Super Anarchist
"“The Volvo Ocean Race is another chance for Victorians to see some of the world’s best sailing teams in action. Major events are fantastic for the entire visitor economy – they keep our restaurants and hotels full and our shopping precincts bustling."

So they see them pull into the dock, then leave a week later off a start line... how exciting! No way anyone i know would fork out for a premium airticket to see a boat at a dock then leave.

I live in HK so looking forward to that in port race! Winter.. just before CNY, could be blowing dogs off chains!

Swanno

Super Anarchist

My question is this - back in the 2005/06 race, when they last stopped in Melbourne, and the two races before then, there was a waypoint off the South Coast of Western Australia at Eclipse Island, about 10nm south of my home town of Albany. Will Eclipse Island be a waypoint in this edition? From the map on the media release they've published it doesn't look like it but I'm not ruling it out. I'll be emailing the race organisers to find out.

Some of you may recall that in the 2005/06 race that 2 yachts actually stopped in Albany for a quick pitstop. Movistar & Pirates of the Caribbean. That's about the time when I found out about this place.
I remember watching the VOR documentary and seeing your head...

Alhadder

Super Anarchist
Left coast of Oz

I remember watching the VOR documentary and seeing your head...
On the front page of the local rag too. A very busy couple of days that was. I'm up for another one this December :)