Wanking- A short history.

Tucky

Super Anarchist
Maine
There has been mention of wanking in several threads recently, but I thought it worthwhile to devote a thread to "the sail plan that dare not speak its name". My hope is that others can help fill in details of the origins of the practice with proper citations so the facts can be cleared up once and for all and the practice can finally "come out of the locker", so to speak..

No one knows how old the practice is even though some estimates suggest that 10% of sailors wank and have always wanked. If it was done in days gone by, no one wrote about it- maybe a "what goes on at sea stays at sea" attitude prevailed, but you never read about wanking from Slocum sailing alone or the Smeetons, even though their signature voyages were undertaken as a threesome. The first crack in the facade was probably Moitessier sailing with poled out jibs, but he was French, sailing to Polynesia and, besides, two jibs straining together is attractive to almost any sailor, not just Wharram and other advocates of "alternative" sailing practices. Of course women wank as well, though Ann Davison or Claire Francis never mentioned it, and Ellen MacArthur sails much too fast to have time for it, at least according to her writings.

It may have been Francis Stokes or Hal Roth, sailing strong sloops with tree trunk aluminum masts, un-tapered by all descriptions, who first mentioned going with "just a jib", as if this was normal practice. Some say it began in New England itself as a reaction to overbearing excessive criticism of the practice in Yachting or Sail magazine which treated the practice as "unseamanlike" and simply "beyond the pale", and was especially prevalent on the outer shores of Cape Cod. Some say it was free thinking Californians in response to the strong winds of San Francisco Bay who wanked in full view of anyone looking out over Alcatraz. It has ben suggested that easy going sailors on the southern tip of Florida were the first to publicly "show the flag", fueled by an excess of tequila.

However it started the practice slowly began to be acceptable, and now seeing boats "just wanking along" is commonplace everywhere, and shown with no hesitation in mainstream magazines that carry ads from manufacturers of furling aids which stimulate the activity. Even the Sea Scouts have modified their code of conduct to include it with appropriate safety guidelines and there is hardly a sailmaker left that doesn't offer sails especially made to facilitate a good wank. Diversity of sail plans is now completely mainstream, and most think we are better for it, though a few shake their heads still, and there are yacht clubs where wanking in sight of shore is a sure way to never become a flag officer.

boomberry

Super Anarchist
This is brilliant. A fun follow up to previous threads. Thanks for the chuckles.

I think it might be more difficult for females to come out of the locker.

Who will be the first to say, pics or it didn't ....

Last edited by a moderator:

WunHungLo

Super Anarchist
PNW
LOL an excellent review of this strange yet relaxed practice, and no need for "hand over fist action" when short handed !

py26129

Super Anarchist
Montreal
No need to wank with a couple of these around. :ph34r:

galway_hooker.jpg

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
"Yanking"? I may have done that at some point in the future. Not cerain about that. But now I know what it is called I can assure you I will never do that.

" And there was Bob yanking his way up the bay."

So, if you just have your spin up is that "spanking"?

I've heard that wanking is frowned upon, and is only for the lazy sailors who have given up or can't be bothered to put forth the effort to do it the traditional way. I've also heard that every time a sailor wanks, God kills a kitten. Just think about that...

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
I've heard that wanking is frowned upon, and is only for the lazy sailors who have given up or can't be bothered to put forth the effort to do it the traditional way. I've also heard that every time a sailor wanks, God kills a kitten. Just think about that...
That's why I have you wank for me. It's perfectly acceptable if you're not wanking yourself.

That's why I have you wank for me. It's perfectly acceptable if you're not wanking yourself.
Damn! All this time I was only being used for my wanking skilz...

IrieMon

Super Anarchist
Confessional: I was wanking last weekend with my wife aboard... she didn't offer any assistance. A poor showing......

My apologies to the kittens

Expat Canuck

Anarchist
Salish Sea
I'm fine with admitting to wanking on occasion. I figure it beats not going out at all.

In the attached, my wife and I are wanking. It was the first time I had her back out on the boat after a very bad experience (which almost resulted in the sale of the boat).

IMG00053-20120804-1639.jpg

Soñadora

Super Anarchist
"Yanking"? I may have done that at some point in the future. Not cerain about that. But now I know what it is called I can assure you I will never do that.

" And there was Bob yanking his way up the bay."

So, if you just have your spin up is that "spanking"?
I'm not 100% certain that has anything to do with a spinnaker

and certainly we'll have to forego 'stanking'. Unless, of course, you want to keep other boats away.