Wanting to Buy 1/4 tonner or less,

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
J-22, J-24, Santana 20.  Keep in mind, these are sailboats, not summer cottages.  (Which is to say Not luxury travel trailers on “keels.”)OM
The J-22 is my boat of choice.  The Santana 20 is also a great suggestion.  My dad had #5, great boat.  

Thanks, very thoughtful.

Black Jack

Super Anarchist
there is a fine 1/4 tonner for sale in SF. 

http://histoiredeshalfs.com/Quarter Tonner/Q Summertime Dream.htm

Designed by Carl Schumacher and Build by Dennis Choate in 1979.  It's the boat you'd want.

Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 8.57.34 AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Cheap & plentiful too - they made well over 1000 of them.

My custom Kirby QT was a development of the SJ24 - great performer and lots of just plain fun to sail.

Steam Flyer

Super Anarchist
Eastern NC
Santana 23D.

All day, every day. Will sail rings around every boat mentioned so far except possibly a well-sailed J24, will sail rings around them in light air and will -usually- beat them upwind. Tuned up with decent sails, points like a tourist.

The problem is finding one that isn't having the deck fall apart; but that's also an issue with any other 1970s boat. If you get a J-22 that's been raced recently, it's likely that somebody has paid attention to the bit needing it.

- DSK

floater

Super Duper Anarchist
quivira regnum
does that thing have a prodder? I guess much more modern that the 1/4 tonner variety.. (edit. nope. that would be the 2023).

all the other 4ksb listed here sell for pretty much the same price - near free - so it's just a matter of finding a nice example. of something.

Last edited by a moderator:

bgytr

Super Anarchist
J24, most uncomfortable boat ever built, unless you are the driver.

J80 is a very fine all around boat.

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
A boat that makes me smile going upwind.  Recommendations are very much appreciated.
Any additional criteria other than that?  If not, J/22 or J/80 fit the bill.

But if you want something you can somewhat comfortably weekend, there is the Martin 242.  Mainly found in BC and SoCal as an OD class, but I believe a smaller number of them reside on Lake Ontario.  Quick on all points of sail and loves light air. https://www.boats.com/reviews/a-wolf-in-wolfs-clothing/

LB 15

Cunt
Yes - they were called Mini-Tonners
We called them 'Micro tonners' here in Aus. The JOG fleet was huge back in the day. I owned a Admiral 21 that we did 220 hundred mile offshore races in. When we finished one race a couple of guys that we knew sailing on the Maxi Apollo can over to have a beer with us and after looking down below one said 'if you sentenced criminals to live in that thing there would be outrage.'