Was Suggested a Rule 69 for This Risky COVID Behavior

Baldur

Super Anarchist
Wouldn't know how to pursue it, and I wouldnt myself anyway. But that was the remedy someone suggested for what I consider some asinine behavior, at the least.

Here is the situation; Militant antivaxxer / antimasker comes to the skippers meeting on Friday night. Standing room only, 50+ ppl in attendance. Also to the Club for drinks and hang out Fri and SAT during our big regatta. and then DNC Sunday. Club rules are the basic state guidance here (WA) right now, masks on while walking around but can take off at your table. 

Dudes wife had already been diagnosed with covid. Dude claims to me it is a lie that he had any symptoms when he came down to the club. I dont think that makes about 5% difference. He knew he was exposed as close as you can get. He wont even wear a proper mask. And didnt wear even during the skippers meeting in a crowded nearly unventilated room. 

I say any reasonable person would know they had been exposed, and have a high chance of being positive and should avoid crowds and he is a complete fucking asshole. I'll say it to your face too, no probs!

And yes he is positive! and yes, he actually agreed to release his name, but I am withholding it here by @Editorrequest. And FYI to everyone.... No, We are not covered in by HIPAA privacy rules unless we are providers of healthcare services to this patient. HIPAA does not apply to me asking or telling everyone what I know about you medically. We dont need anyone's permission to discuss their medical history in public.

That leads to someone's suggestion on another, unmentioned here, forum that he be rule 69'd and banned from further competition, and entry to clubs. I mean, it looks to me like wanton disregard for the safety of other competitors and club members.

Can that be done? How? Who? like I said, I am not interested to pursue it. But the point of my post here is to have this discussion.

I really hope nothing really bad comes of this. As much as I would like to say I hope it gets him, I dont feel that way. I hope the asswipe is ok. I dont want to wish harm on anyone, and I wont. Well, I could hope he is sick as FUCK ALL for a few days. Sick enough to make him reconsider his ignorance anyway.

This is the kinda shit that can easily become a superspreader event and bad shit does happen.

Just a sad coincidence, but we lost one of our well known, and popular, long time sailors here on Sat night to covid. :(  Also a good friend lost 2 friends last week and another friends otherwise healthy 40yo wife just got out of 19 days in the hospital with almost a week on the vent. And its not even really bad here as in the south. 

I wont be surprised if Dude chimes in here actually.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Roller Skates

Super Anarchist
North
Fully agree, worth opening or discussing a 69. but also.

like I said, I am not interested to pursue it. But the point of my post here is to have this discussion.
If you're not interested in pursuing it as a protest, is it worth discussing?
Just feels a bit focused on confirmation of your feelings, rather than preventing the gonzo from killing you all. :ph34r:

George Dewey

Super Anarchist
Charleston, SC
If it's a private club, you don't need a Rule 69 action to ban him from the premises, I would think that's up to the management an/or membership of the club. I also don't see the relevance of him being a "militant anti-vaxer" or whatever you called him. If someone who supported even mandatory vaccination did this, would it be any less egregious in your opinion?  

And you said this was a big crowd in a very tight space? There could have easily been someone there who felt fine but had Covid and didn't know it. People take their chances by going to such an event, and have a responsibility to evaluate the risk in doing so. Certainly it's irresponsible for people who should know they are exposed to attend such a thing, but don't assume that if he had not done this everything would be hunky dorey. 

jesposito

Super Anarchist
Wouldn't know how to pursue it, and I wouldnt myself anyway. But that was the remedy someone suggested for what I consider some asinine behavior, at the least.

Here is the situation; Militant antivaxxer / antimasker comes to the skippers meeting on Friday night. Standing room only, 50+ ppl in attendance. Also to the Club for drinks and hang out Fri and SAT during our big regatta. and then DNC Sunday. Club rules are the basic state guidance here (WA) right now, masks on while walking around but can take off at your table. 

Dudes wife had already been diagnosed with covid. Dude claims to me it is a lie that he had any symptoms when he came down to the club. I dont think that makes about 5% difference. He knew he was exposed as close as you can get. He wont even wear a proper mask. And didnt wear even during the skippers meeting in a crowded nearly unventilated room. 

I say any reasonable person would know they had been exposed, and have a high chance of being positive and should avoid crowds and he is a complete fucking asshole. I'll say it to your face too, no probs!

And yes he is positive! and yes, he actually agreed to release his name, but I am withholding it here by @Editorrequest. And FYI to everyone.... No, We are not covered in by HIPAA privacy rules unless we are providers of healthcare services to this patient. HIPAA does not apply to me asking or telling everyone what I know about you medically. We dont need anyone's permission to discuss their medical history in public.

That leads to someone's suggestion on another, unmentioned here, forum that he be rule 69'd and banned from further competition, and entry to clubs. I mean, it looks to me like wanton disregard for the safety of other competitors and club members.

Can that be done? How? Who? like I said, I am not interested to pursue it. But the point of my post here is to have this discussion.

I really hope nothing really bad comes of this. As much as I would like to say I hope it gets him, I dont feel that way. I hope the asswipe is ok. I dont want to wish harm on anyone, and I wont. Well, I could hope he is sick as FUCK ALL for a few days. Sick enough to make him reconsider his ignorance anyway.

This is the kinda shit that can easily become a superspreader event and bad shit does happen.

Just a sad coincidence, but we lost one of our well known, and popular, long time sailors here on Sat night to covid. :(  Also a good friend lost 2 friends last week and another friends otherwise healthy 40yo wife just got out of 19 days in the hospital with almost a week on the vent. And its not even really bad here as in the south. 

I wont be surprised if Dude chimes in here actually.....

I don't think you would have, or you wouldn't have dragged out here.

bloodshot

Super Anarchist
United States
If it's a private club, you don't need a Rule 69 action to ban him from the premises, I would think that's up to the management an/or membership of the club. I also don't see the relevance of him being a "militant anti-vaxer" or whatever you called him. If someone who supported even mandatory vaccination did this, would it be any less egregious in your opinion?  
gotta be careful of rule 76.1 about rejecting his regatta entries though

Baldur

Super Anarchist

I don't think you would have, or you wouldn't have dragged out here.
Havent seen him face to face yet. I did call him a "complete ignorant fucking dickhead" in a long direct messaging chat we had yesterday and an "asshole", "Asshat" and a few other vulgarities i would have to go find in the chat log. No, I dont talk shit behind anyones back. So already been directly addressed as is possible at this point to the person.

But more interested in the Rule 69 discussion. Is that type of thing possible? Has it happened. Trying not to start thread drift post #2

SailRacer

Super Anarchist
If your club did not mention in the SI's that "people who have been in close contact or have symptoms of COVID should not attend etc." then, I do not think a 69 would result in anything. Internally at your club, you could do what you want.

Sail Safe!

George Dewey

Super Anarchist
Charleston, SC
Havent seen him face to face yet. I did call him a "complete ignorant fucking dickhead" in a long direct messaging chat we had yesterday and an "asshole", "Asshat" and a few other vulgarities i would have to go find in the chat log. No, I dont talk shit behind anyones back. So already been directly addressed as is possible at this point to the person.

But more interested in the Rule 69 discussion. Is that type of thing possible? Has it happened. Trying not to start thread drift post #2

Here is the relevant text of the rule:

69.1. Obligation not to Commit Misconduct; Resolution

1. A competitor, boat owner or support person shall not commit an act of misconduct.
  2. Misconduct is: 

conduct that is a breach of good manners, a breach of good sportsmanship, or unethical behaviour; or
  3. conduct that may bring, or has brought, the sport into disrepute.

[*]An allegation of a breach of rule 69.1(a) shall be resolved in accordance with the provisions of rule 69. It shall not be grounds for a protest and rule 63.1 does not apply. 

Look in a mirror, and be careful what you wish for. It's a very broad rule.

Somebody Else

a person of little consequence
PNW
Opening up a Rule 69 investigation is a serious undertaking. To begin with, you have to involve national judges from outside your immediate area. It takes months and months.

As an aside, this asshole exposed me indirectly even though I was not at the event.

Baldur

Super Anarchist
Fully agree, worth opening or discussing a 69. but also.

If you're not interested in pursuing it as a protest, is it worth discussing?
Just feels a bit focused on confirmation of your feelings, rather than preventing the gonzo from killing you all. :ph34r:
I am interested in the discussion if this is even possible? has it been done? Is it within the bounds of reality of rule 69 use?

I enjoy a good discussion. I dont feel the need for external validation on this one.

I do think he was reckless. If he had symptoms (I have been told by others in attendance he DID have symptoms. Though he has denied that directly to me) and someone dies I think that is, or is close, to criminal negligence. If no symptoms than he is just a complete selfish, ignorant, asswipe. That's how I feel. No one will change my mind on this subject and I dont need to discuss that stuff.

Not sure if Rule 69 could even be used this way, that is the point of the post.

Baldur

Super Anarchist

And you said this was a big crowd in a very tight space? There could have easily been someone there who felt fine but had Covid and didn't know it. People take their chances by going to such an event, and have a responsibility to evaluate the risk in doing so. Certainly it's irresponsible for people who should know they are exposed to attend such a thing, but don't assume that if he had not done this everything would be hunky dorey. 
Well, I dont know anyone who wants a vaccine at this point that hasnt got it. But no, it would not be less egregious if they supported mandatory vax, but that really couldnt happen at this point. The relevance of him being a "militant anti-vaxer" is that I beleive that cavalier attitude is at the bottom of the shitty decision making.

I was sitting in that meeting and thought "Why arent we doing this outside?" I left my mask on the whole time, as did maybe 1/3 of the room. Yes, I took a risk, and I considered it and made a desion. Too bad I didnt have all the info I needed.

And absolutely agree that if he had not done this is no indication of if things would otherwise be ok. 

Baldur

Super Anarchist
You are saying it was his intention to infect the crowd? This connection is highly specious. 
Any reasonable person would know he was likely infected at this point. So he is either stupid and doesnt realize it is dangerous, or he did it on purpose. I know he wont admit to being stupid, or making a bad judgement. Sooooo....

Baldur

Super Anarchist
Absolutely. And if he is on his own boat, he is probably 6 feet away from the competitors on other boats.
Not talking at all about him going on his boat. talking about sitting in a crowded room when any reasonable person would know they are likely infected. If he told his crew the situation and they made that choice - SO WHAT? We didnt know and had only an uninformed choice to make.