Way to go WCB!

TeamFugu

Super Anarchist
SLC, UT
Good on ya mate! I know you've worked long and hard to built up the Park City Sailing Assoc. from almost nothing to one of the largest Laser fleets in the Rocky Mountains. I think the award from US Sailing isn't near the reward you get from seeing all your hard work actually make a difference.

Congrats, keep it up, and thanks!

How's that Moth coming along?

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
Good on ya mate! I know you've worked long and hard to built up the Park City Sailing Assoc. from almost nothing to one of the largest Laser fleets in the Rocky Mountains. I think the award from US Sailing isn't near the reward you get from seeing all your hard work actually make a difference.
Congrats, keep it up, and thanks!

How's that Moth coming along?
Hey Fugu...thanks for the kind words. Where did you hear/read this?

It's funny but I was just working on logistics to go to Cali for the Laser Midwinters to also pick up 2-3 used boats for our growing fleet. We can't seem to get enough of these boats.

The Moth project is moving along slowly. I'll be working on the mast and boom over the next couple of weeks and then onto the deck creation and then assemble the boat. The Moth project and the small fleet that's likely to result is going to be fun. We're also working on debuting our new Junior Program this coming Summer too. No rest for the weary. I thought I was going to give the wife a break from boat talk but she didn't luck out in that department this Winter.

I'm planning/hoping to have the moth ready for sailing in June so it will be available for some demo rides too.

TeamFugu

Super Anarchist
SLC, UT
I received an e-mail from US Sailing one design news through my Swift Solo involvement. Viola there you were listed and the recipient of the leadership award.

I hope the wife knew what she was getting into back when she said "yes". First you drag here out of her comfort zone into this crazy land out west, then you subject her to boats, boats, and more boats. If she isn't totally shocked, you've definitively got a keeper.

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
I received an e-mail from US Sailing one design news through my Swift Solo involvement. Viola there you were listed and the recipient of the leadership award.
I hope the wife knew what she was getting into back when she said "yes". First you drag here out of her comfort zone into this crazy land out west, then you subject her to boats, boats, and more boats. If she isn't totally shocked, you've definitively got a keeper.
So I won the award? I thought I may have just been nominated for it.

I don't think she knew how bad it was until recently. When we first got out here I sailed at the Great Salt Lake once a week and my Laser then A Cat on the weekends, pretty casual. Now there's a 505 hull plug hanging above a Laser in the back of the house, a Moth in the garage and another Laser in the front yard that I brokered to a new member in the fleet. Now I'm working on 3-4 new members, locating them boats and we went from no Optis in the area last year to 17 at this point. Scary when you put it down on 'paper'.

Last edited by a moderator:

TeamFugu

Super Anarchist
SLC, UT

I don't think she knew how bad it was until recently. When we first got out here I sailed at the Great Salt Lake once a week and my Laser then A Cat on the weekends, pretty casual. Now there's a 505 hull plug hanging above a Laser in the back of the house, a Moth in the garage and another Laser in the front yard that I brokered to a new member in the fleet. Now I'm working on 3-4 new members, locating them boats and we went from no Optis in the area last year to 17 at this point. Scary when you put it down on 'paper'.
All this when everyone says one person can't make a difference. There you go proving them all wrong.

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT

All this when everyone says one person can't make a difference. There you go proving them all wrong.
Thanks Fugu...I appreciate the recognition.

Chris 249

Super Anarchist
Brilliant work, ACB. It's also great to see someone who loves and respects such a wide range of boats.

As Fugu says, one person can make a difference; we just need more of them making a difference like ACB.

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
Brilliant work, ACB. It's also great to see someone who loves and respects such a wide range of boats.
As Fugu says, one person can make a difference; we just need more of them making a difference like ACB.
Thanks Chris...

It's rare that I've met a boat that I don't like. I miss being on the coast for all of the variety of boats I used to sail like the boats mentioned above, plus other OD boats like Etchells, J24s, 210s, 110s...etc.

Of course one has to have the energy to help everybody they meet to get into the fleet but it isn't new, I learned a lot of the tricks from another fireplug back East in a fleet I used to race in. I think that the web, Yahoo list groups...etc, have a lot to do with success as some of our best attribuites are a high level of communication and involvement from a core group of seasoned sailors who are willing to help newer sailors get up to speed quickly.

Dixie

Reporters
SF
QUOTE (MR.CLEAN @ Feb 18 2010, 12:36 PM) linky?

Sorry Clean. No linky. It is just in the e-mail I was sent as part of the one design report.
Click here and then on 2010 and the pdf of the newsletter will download.

Actually I can just attach it. I have to say, it must come as a big surprise to find out on a thread in Sailing Anarchy that a committee at US Sailing is awarding you with this honor!

OD News - 2010 Feb.pdf

Attachments

• OD News - 2010 Feb.pdf
    222 KB · Views: 14
Last edited by a moderator:

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
Just saw this WCB congratulations.
Thanks kmccabe!

You aren't kidding...Dixie. I opened up the Dinghy Anarchy that morning and saw my 'name' on the thread started by Fugu. I wasn't sure what he was up to and I wasn't sure if I had won or if it was just that he saw that I had been nominated. It's all very cool.

Link here:

http://media.ussailing.org/US_SAILING_Media_Home/Latest_News/2009_One-Design_Awards.htm

Nice job and thanks for the "plugs". I'm often jealous of the way you were able to start with a clean slate vs. having 50 years of "traditions" to deal with, lol, plus some competing classes (that brought the Lightning Worlds to MBBC this year). That kept us a bit busy, but was lots of fun.

Maybe another 10 feet of pow pow, and we could keep up with your progress...

Al

Latest posts