WCB's new toy

TeamFugu

Super Anarchist
SLC, UT
I may get in trouble and be nice to the guy. It was his first time out and we only had a small window of time.

P1010021.JPG

The proud new owner of an A class cat.

P1010026.JPG

The water was still a little lumpy from the storm that rolled through last night. The wind was about 8-10 and about 57 F air temp. and similar water temps. The "old" guy looked good for a first timer. I think the mast was a little too far back to power up the rig correctly. When he found the slot, the boat would shoot off. Give him time, he might get scary on this thing. Now I'll need to get a ride next time. :)

TeamFugu

Super Anarchist
SLC, UT
Was that the GSL?
Yes it was. The marina sucks to get out of if you don't have a motor but once out on the lake it is great. With the dense water, the boat floats with both ends out of the water rigged.

I had a ride on a Nacra 20 yesterday and the wind was just a little less but the water was like glass. It is wild flying along with the spinnaker upand not a ripple on the water. Today was a little rough because we had a strong storm that blew through last night and early this morning. Some of the leadmines that had furled jibs now have a lot of baggy wrinkle. Didn't I say how much I hated leaving sails on the furler in another thread?

TeamFugu

Super Anarchist
SLC, UT
Leadmines but you get an idea of what we call our "magic moments".

P6230027.JPG

And one more of the A to balance things out so I don't feel so guilty.

P1010027.JPG

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
Thanks Fugu!

Specially for the help making the set up go a bunch faster today. Luckily take down was pretty uneventful except for the lack of a freshwater hose so the boat was looking mighty crusty and white when I got it back to PC for a good cleaning.

Next time we'll stand the rig up a little straighter and tighten that leech a bunch.

WCB

TeamFugu

Super Anarchist
SLC, UT
Not a problem. It was fun to see you out there. I just wish I had had enough time I could have joined you with the Swift. Today was the better of the last three days for wind. Solo on Friday, no camera. Assisting on a Nacra 20 with no camera on Saturday so I guess it never happened except I do see some extra cuts here and there from doing something. :)

The A is a cool toy. I can't wait to see you doing the "wild thing" this summer. By then you should be hard to catch.

Carbon

Super Anarchist
Fugu,

That does sound a bit fishy. Maybe you like the way WCB looks in his Ronstan skiff suit? ;-)

Congrats WCB. You've given me reason to keep plugging away on my boat despite the fresh 6" of snow we got just recently.

Carbon

TeamFugu

Super Anarchist
SLC, UT
Fugu,
That does sound a bit fishy. Maybe you like the way WCB looks in his Ronstan skiff suit? ;-)

Congrats WCB. You've given me reason to keep plugging away on my boat despite the fresh 6" of snow we got just recently.

Carbon
Now that I think of it, it does sound a little strange. The cat sailors will know exactly what I meant. It is the cat version of a three sail reach on the edge of disaster. Also this is a single hander and so he'll be doing it with himself. :)

The acceleration of this boat was amazing. When he got it sorted out and hit the grove, you could see the boat jump to a whole new level of speed in an instant.

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
You'll get there Carbon...keep chipping away at the projects one at a time.

It was 57deg out on the GSL yesterday, not the warmest it's been recently. Our Winter is likely over at this point. Though we have a forecast for some snow later this week.

Fugu, thanks again for the Champagne. Next time we'll have it chilled and we'll pour some on the bow(s) and christen the boat properly, and enjoy the rest!

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
Now that I think of it, it does sound a little strange. The cat sailors will know exactly what I meant. It is the cat version of a three sail reach on the edge of disaster. Also this is a single hander and so he'll be doing it with himself. :)
The acceleration of this boat was amazing. When he got it sorted out and hit the grove, you could see the boat jump to a whole new level of speed in an instant.
The acceleration part was a lot of fun. I spent a bunch of the time sailing with the old "head in boat" syndrome. When I wasn't head in the boat, I was able to put a few good moments of sailing together.

TeamFugu

Super Anarchist
SLC, UT
The acceleration part was a lot of fun. I spent a bunch of the time sailing with the old "head in boat" syndrome. When I wasn't head in the boat, I was able to put a few good moments of sailing together.
I'm sure that you'll not spend much more time with your head in the boat. Soon you'll be sailing the boat well and I'm sure the grins will be wide. You might have to sell the Ducati and spend more time on the A. :lol:

One thing it does show is how cats can move well on their own but it does take skill to make them fly. Nothing time on the water won't cure.

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
I'm sure that you'll not spend much more time with your head in the boat. Soon you'll be sailing the boat well and I'm sure the grins will be wide. You might have to sell the Ducati and spend more time on the A. :lol:
One thing it does show is how cats can move well on their own but it does take skill to make them fly. Nothing time on the water won't cure.
The Ducati is a whole other type of fun...it won't be for sale anytime soon. :lol:

Latest posts