weirdos met in boatyards

dylan winter

Super Anarchist
The ship is ashore for one week prior to a 100 mile trip to the Scillies with older brother and school friend.

Scillies has marvelous sandy beaches so I have been making a pair of legs and fitting sikaflexed and bolted backing plates for the giant bolts... all in unphesably tight spaces. My hands are knackered.

the bloke with the boat next door appeared - he drove a toyata pick up.

fastish 30 footer.

we fell into conversation.

he did offshore stuff - Ostar etc.

He started complaining about the cost of insurance for man asleep under sail at 6 knots in the dark.

He was an antivaxer..... never worn a mask.

stopped his family from masking. and vaccinated too.

then he was onto rothchildes and banking.

Never thoujght of third party insurance.

Then I mnetioned that I had worked form the BBC - man he was on a ranrt then  

I suddenly remembered that I had some bolts to tighnten up below decks

clrearly bonkers.

D

comments and stories welcomed about nutters in boatyards.

D

Don't know about boatyards but 'small steel boat syndrome' is what I seem to come up against.

Home built about 30/35 feet , married couple who have been cruising on it for 10 or 20 years while happily reinforcing each other's  prejudices .

Talk about strong opinions.

Weirdest was an Australian living in Canada with a pathological hatred of Australians and all things Australian.

So we were at a BBQ in BA. 'I can't even stand the Australian accent ' sez he.

'Well, I'm glad I don't have one ' sez I.

'Yes you do!!!!' sez he as his wife led him away .

I put it down to  a Christian Brothers education in Western Australia..

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
A customer for one of my boats brought an acquaintance around to do a "sort of" survey.

This clown was a real piece of work - German, about 35 years old, claimed he had 4 - count'em, 4 PhD's. :rolleyes: Knew everything about everything - knew more than me about the boat I had owned & restored for 10 years.

I was giving them a ride back to town and when I lit a cigarette - in my car - he told me not to smoke - didn't ask, told me.

I let him out at the side of the highway.

I'm almost certain he was the biggest asshole I have ever met - definitely had unusual psychological problems.

The buyer later apologized to me for bringing him around.

olaf hart

Super Anarchist
Don't know about boatyards but 'small steel boat syndrome' is what I seem to come up against.

Home built about 30/35 feet , married couple who have been cruising on it for 10 or 20 years while happily reinforcing each other's  prejudices .

Talk about strong opinions.

Weirdest was an Australian living in Canada with a pathological hatred of Australians and all things Australian.

I put it down to  a Christian Brothers education in Western Australia..
Fair enough…

Last edited by a moderator:

Munz

A customer for one of my boats brought an acquaintance around to do a "sort of" survey.

This clown was a real piece of work - German, about 35 years old, claimed he had 4 - count'em, 4 PhD's. :rolleyes:  
Not uncommon in Germany (the first one will be earned, the others are probably honary degrees), still 4 by the age of 35 is good going........ If he has two PhDs, you're supposed to address him as "Herr Dr. Dr." After that it's "Herr Dr. Mult."

But, yeah, anyone who stays in the ivory towers long enough to get a PhD probably has psychological issues

Santanasailor

Charter Member. Scow Mafia
North Louisiana
It's a hard life, getting caught by obsessive salesmen or folks who's political ideas are directly opposite of yours.  But compulsive liars kill me the worst.  

Vietnam veterans seem to get the worst of it.  When we were there, everyone hated us as no one group has ever been hated in the history of the nation.  Now, everyone wants to be one.  Problem is, they don't have a clue.  Having to listen to their bragging starts to hurt, but its easy to catch them.  (because, as I said, they really don't have a clue.)  

toddster

Super Anarchist
The Gorge
But, yeah, anyone who stays in the ivory towers long enough to get a PhD probably has psychological issues
Hey! I re… re… re… represent that remark!  

Basically, a Ph.D. means that you’ve been admitted to a little club.  Figuring out what kind of little club, and what it means can be difficult.

When I worked with NASA, EPA, and DOE, I met people who were so smart it scared me.  And a lot more people who were so dumb it scared me.

Arcot

Lund BC
Strangest one I met was at the Government Dock in Comox BC 20 years ago.

His sailboat was about 34 feet in length and he was German.

I admired the self steering.

Probably a Wind pilot from Germany.

We talked and he told me about rounding Cape Horn with his wife who was sadly deceased.

I wanted to photograph the interesting self steering rudder and vane.

5 minute trip to get the camera......his boat was out of the harbour and at Goose Spit by the time I returned.....

Autonomous

Turgid Member
PNW
There was this creepy red headed guy that made it a point to try to talk to everyone at the dock. You could see him sizing up everything he could steal from other boats.

The real wierdo was his 'brother-in law' he was taking on a 'favor to his sister' cruise. That guy was a scary psycho. Really.

Last edited by a moderator:

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Not uncommon in Germany (the first one will be earned, the others are probably honary degrees), still 4 by the age of 35 is good going........ If he has two PhDs, you're supposed to address him as "Herr Dr. Dr." After that it's "Herr Dr. Mult."

Trust me, he didn't have even one.

Anyway, no-one gets 3 honorary PhD's by their mid 30's - not even Newton or Einstein

NZK

Anarchist
Roaming
prior to a 100 mile trip to the Scillies
there's plenty more odd folk to meet over that way, and it also gives me a very tenuous link to tell this story...

Not exactly a boat yard story but I had one of my more interesting boating adventures whilst living on the Scilly isle of St Agnes.... got to know a guy who turned up on an old wooden fishing boat he'd turned into a lateen rigged live-aboard (Dylan, you may actually have made his acquaintance as he harks from the Deben).

One night a year the locals get dressed up and a have a party, pretty much everyone comes out -  kind of a pre-summer season shindig. Anyway, weather was pretty terrible that evening and just as we're all suited and booted and about to head down to the island hall someone spots that the anchor on the boat has dragged and it's getting washed onto one of the beaches. Full action stations - the island 'heavy machinery' guy has an Atlantic 21 inboard diesel RIB and I end up on that with him in his old tuxedo under a set of overalls smashing around from the other side of the island to try and get a tow line onto the bow. A host of others are arriving onto the beach with their old tractors or whatever might be useful. Nothing worked, the boat got washed beam-on, popped a few planks and then settled at the very high water mark. This was about 23:00 at which point we all got decidedly drunk to drown our sorrows and then set about for the next few weeks helping make repairs and prepare for a re-launch. 

For the launch we had big old Jon Deere and a tracked excavator towing in-line (with safety screens welded into the windows in case the tow lines snapped), another tractor pulling a low-load trailer that was alongside the yacht supporting the legs to keep it level and then about 20 of us digging old railway sleepers into the sand to create a launch slip to get it down below the next high water line. The sheer amount of help in time, tools, materials and hospitality that was freely given by so many people on that island during the whole affair was just amazing. For reference, the Scillies are a pretty isolated set of islands with a very tight knit community - I got a very similar feeling up in Maine from some of the island and small town populations up there. 

Once launched my buddy decided to stay and haul out on the island for the winter. This was going to require a trailer. We located an old HGV chassis on another island that had been rigged for hauling fishing boats out - perfect. Just the small issue of there not being a big enough boat to transport it between islands... bring on the circus; we scavenged, borrowed, collected and retrieved as many 50 gallon drums, buoys, fenders etc (anything that had positive buoyancy) as possible and lashed them all around this trailer, rolled it down onto the beach and then using the same boat that had only just been re-floated itself stuck a 90ft tow line on the thing and slowly dragged it out into the watery abyss. And it floated! It looked utterly comical with all the multi-coloured floats lashed around it like some sort of psychedelic set of pustules...

We proceeded to be exceedingly British by towing the thing at about 2 knots whilst taking the opportunity of the motor running to boil endless cups of tea and make rolling rounds of toasted cheese sandwiches. Can't believe the thing made it across, but it was one of the most ridiculous and enjoyable days of messing about on boats I've ever had. 

Jim in Halifax

Super Anarchist
Nova Scotia
Hey! I re… re… re… represent that remark!  

Basically, a Ph.D. means that you’ve been admitted to a little club.  Figuring out what kind of little club, and what it means can be difficult.

When I worked with NASA, EPA, and DOE, I met people who were so smart it scared me.  And a lot more people who were so dumb it scared me.
My BIL - a Herr Doktor himself - used to say that getting a Ph.D. was all about learning more and more about less and less until you knew absolutely everything about nothing...

Kris Cringle

Super Anarchist
'He started complaining about the cost of insurance for man asleep under sail at 6 knots in the dark.'

281861294_10217724981956800_1638880136421294466_n.jpeg

sugarbird

Caribbean
Caribbean boatyard almost always have a fine assortment of nut cases, weirdos, straight up goofballs on display. It used to be fun... sorta... to be hauled out in a Caribbean boatyard next to guys running dope, trying to get back in the water in time for there next escapade. They knew they had to tell cockamamie BS stories about themselves and their cruising plans, ("Oh, Mike has a trust fund you know, and wants to sail around the islands for a couple of years) - then most evenings they'd go out to dinner at the fancier restaurants on island, drinking copious amounts of high end champagne, with great looking young ladies who would occasionally pop up out of nowhere, host late night meetings of strangers at the boat in the dark, and generally skulk about like they were filming Mission Impossible. There would usually be at least one guy aboard who seemed to have a good handle on yachts, sailing and boatyard etiquette, who often seemed a little embarrassed by the obvious cluelessness of his boneheaded buddies. Every now and then a guy looking like Al Pacino in Scarface might turn up and be given a grand tour. I once saw a $25k yard bill paid in $20 bills. That was like the big reveal. "Nah, all that shit I've been feeding you is BS." Nowadays the more common sight is a couple young local guys piloting a 35' go fast boat, probably worth $500k+, likely running coke, sex workers, regular illegals, money, or God knows what. They don't seem to have any interest in throwing up any cover, it's just balls out, and there are a couple high speed nighttime pursuits and arrests by USCG every month. 

Latest posts