well this is bullshit

Editor

Administrator
Staff member
carlsbad
The port of San Diego just announced that recreational boating in San Diego bay is prohibited, effective today. This is totally unnecessary, a typical overreaction, and I am super pissed.

Here’s why it is ridiculous. Here is their previous policy:

Consistent with state orders regarding recreation, it’s allowed so long as you can maintain a safe social distance of six feet from people who aren’t part of your household. Per the state stay-at-home order, non-essential gatherings of any size are not allowed. Everyone has the responsibility to “Flatten the COVID-19 Curve” by maintaining a social distance of 6 feet or more when recreating in the outdoors, and staying home if they are sick. If you cannot maintain social distancing, you need to go elsewhere or return home.

What is wrong with that? It is near perfect. But no, the dopes on Port board had to go and fuck it up and install draconian measures that do almost NOTHING to keep people safe, but do EVERYTHING to piss of the thousands of boaters here. Talk about government overreach.

And so are people going sailing tomorrow supposed to know about this late in the date horseshit announcement?  What, are they going to ticket people? Impound their boats? Arrest them?

Guess what? I’m going sailing tomorrow anyway. Arrest me, bitches. I need some good content. – ed.

Last edited by a moderator:

hdra

Anarchist
Agreed - been out on the bay a few times in the last week and it's been pretty quiet, and the boats that have been out have all been pretty empty - 2 or 3 people.  Doesn't seem like the problem is on the water.  They can go fuck themselves.

FlyTheCode

Toledo, OH
Everyone loves the government. Especially in California. Surely they wouldn't wrongfully take your freedom away! I'm sure you just don't appreciate how good your overlords are being to you!

Just kidding. That sucks. 

Ron Swanson

Los Angeles
Don't go paddleboarding either: https://ktla.com/news/local-news/officials-paddleboarder-arrested-at-malibu-pier-for-flouting-state-stay-at-home-order/

uniquechallenge-504x600.jpg

snipelee

The local governments are most certainly applying punitive measures designed to subject the subjects to the new normal. Simply obey - no questions please. You don't need to sail, or play golf, or fish, or go camping, skiing....because we say so. These activities waste valuable resources better utilized for supporting homeless and illegal aliens. And since you can't participate in these activities any longer, you don't need your SUV or pick-up truck. These will be collected shortly. You must have an approved EV.  Gasoline and diesel will be rationed to those deemed most valuable to the collective. Vacation homes will be commandeered for repurposing. 

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
The local governments are most certainly applying punitive measures designed to subject the subjects to the new normal. Simply obey - no questions please. You don't need to sail, or play golf, or fish, or go camping, skiing....because we say so. These activities waste valuable resources better utilized for supporting homeless and illegal aliens. And since you can't participate in these activities any longer, you don't need your SUV or pick-up truck. These will be collected shortly. You must have an approved EV.  Gasoline and diesel will be rationed to those deemed most valuable to the collective. Vacation homes will be commandeered for repurposing. 
weirdalfoil_2322.jpg

Ron Swanson

Los Angeles
Did you read the LA Times article that links to? Some wingnut atmospheric chemist is all worked up in a lather over seafoam being the source of aerosolized coronavirus.
Yes, absolute garbage. She is either a straight up liar or an idiot. I'm going with the former, an ideologue who is sure the ends justifies the means. Just like how early on the CDC told us not to wear masks because they wouldn't help. 

On second thought, maybe she really is an idiot. Then there is the idiot that put it in the article without any questioning.

Varan

Super Anarchist
Hey Ed,  <thread-drift>How do you delete attachments when you are near the limit. Can we please delete all attachments more than say 6 months old?</thread-drift> Thank you.

sailsail

Boston
 I almost agreed with the first half....

However I don’t care about a bunch of rich fucks in California cryin about not being able to sail. You can sit at home with the rest of us. The ramps are already closed to us poors so if you slipped boaters go out I hope they throw the book at you.

Not saying any of this is right but fuck the fucking fuckers who have slips and can get around the ban. I doubt they will be enforcing it for them. 

The Dark Knight

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas
I don't get this thread....

Scooter is a left wing nut job with little tolerance for anyone right of left and then he cries like a baby when the Government acts to curtail his freedoms in exactly the way that the hard left and communists do when they are in power.

Make up your fucking mind Scooter.

The centre rule, go fuck yourself extremists of either side...

Not My Real Name

Not Actually Me
The shut down all recreational boating in NZ for a couple of reasons.

The main reason given is that the rescue service here is voluntary, not part of government, and if you go on the water and need help people will need to break quarantine themselves to rescue you. Also I think the intend was to cut out social behaviors like rafting, heading out with lots of people, etc.

I also suspect it's because posting rules about who you can sail or fish with makes enforcement difficult, and I don't know how many resources they have to police this. I mean, who do guys fish with usually? Their spouses or their buddies? Ditto for many sailors.

So if you say "here are these rules for boating, comply" then you don't check it, there's no way to see if those two guys in that boat together live in the same house without going up to them and checking IDs.

I don't think governments want to extend themselves to get into checking every boat on the water right now, since there's more than enough bullshit to deal with on land.

Trouper

Auckland
I see in the USA you are now getting 1000's of deaths a day, and this will increase over time as infected people show up as positive. Look at the published stats, the contagion rate is exponential & the death rate around 5%. So, for all you people who think it is OK to go sailing this weekend, what if just one person who goes out with you is contagious? That could result in you contracting the virus and in the week before everything shows you could well have resulted in a further 128 people also having the virus. With a death rate of 5% that's around 6 people who will die. It won't be a pleasant death, they'll essentially die gasping for breath probably in a hospital corridor given a shortage of ICU beds and ventilators, there will be no family allowed near - but hey your are all tough yachties so you probably don't give a fuck anyway. They are already throwing bodies in refrigerated containers to be carted off for cremation.

So, if you are keen to go out, maybe don't go the whole hog, post on here how proud you are to disregard official advice & nominate just two close contacts you would be happy to see die!

Doesn't need to be a huge post - maybe something along the lines of "I'm going sailing this weekend regardless of the worldwide pandemic because my recreation is more important than anything else & I nominate my parents to be the ones to die!" - or wife, kids, uncle, shopkeeper, yourself, or whoever you don't give a shit about.

Last edited by a moderator: