well this is bullshit

ThijsK

UK
When we look back in hindsight with 20/20 knowledge and start judging the decisions that were made, I think it is fair to say that at the moment most governments around the world, are doing the best they can and are prioritising the saving of life over economic pain. 

The idea behind social distancing is to minimise the amount of potential contact points between people as it is possible to be contagious for up to two weeks before you are aware that you have Covid-19.

Every time you leave the house there are potential contact points, whether by accident or not. Cars breakdown, accidents can happen in the most innocuous of circumstances.

In the UK all the kids in the RYA youth program have had their winter training cancelled and advised to stay at home, off the water, and I believe the Olympic squad sailors are also safely staying ashore. 

I hope that I will be able to look back at myself in the mirror at the end of this and know that I did my best to ‘flatten the curve’ and preserve the life of people more vulnerable than me. 

Think of all the people that have had their livelihoods wiped out and are staying at home with an uncertain future.

There are some great video clips out there and the one I think most appropriate is of an old guy playing the piano and the hook phrase in his song is:

Stay The Fuck At Home

Ex Machina

Anarchist
New Zealand
When we look back in hindsight with 20/20 knowledge and start judging the decisions that were made, I think it is fair to say that at the moment most governments around the world, are doing the best they can and are prioritising the saving of life over economic pain. 

The idea behind social distancing is to minimise the amount of potential contact points between people as it is possible to be contagious for up to two weeks before you are aware that you have Covid-19.

Every time you leave the house there are potential contact points, whether by accident or not. Cars breakdown, accidents can happen in the most innocuous of circumstances.

In the UK all the kids in the RYA youth program have had their winter training cancelled and advised to stay at home, off the water, and I believe the Olympic squad sailors are also safely staying ashore. 

I hope that I will be able to look back at myself in the mirror at the end of this and know that I did my best to ‘flatten the curve’ and preserve the life of people more vulnerable than me. 

Think of all the people that have had their livelihoods wiped out and are staying at home with an uncertain future.

There are some great video clips out there and the one I think most appropriate is of an old guy playing the piano and the hook phrase in his song is:

Stay The Fuck At Home
Yeah man “leaving the house “ is the key , not how good you are at not needing the coastguard or staying 6 feet away from other boats .

boatings not the problem it’s the leaving the house and stopping off to get shit on the way , getting gas maybe a bit of chuff for the pipe that will put you at even more risk of drowning in snot .

grimoire

Oregon
My boat is in the Gorge and off limits. I can’t think of a better quarantine activity than sailing alone.

But.....

I also work in the hospital. I have been issued one N-95 mask and told not to lose it because we’re out. People are bringing in hand sewn masks. The anxiety is high. 

My sister lives in China. They have quarantine. We do not. They have it under control.The statistics say we are super fucked

Good year for a solo, non-stop jaunt around the globe...

stay healthy.... dying of a lung constricting pneumonia is real shitty, I’ve heard

Last edited by a moderator:

mad

Super Anarchist
33FE2560-C331-4593-9EF6-2D126D51050B.jpeg

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
Yeah man “leaving the house “ is the key , not how good you are at not needing the coastguard or staying 6 feet away from other boats .
^^^^ This. It's not what your doing after leaving the house. It's leaving the house for essentials only. Boating is not an essential unless you can show otherwise ie. a place of isolation. End of story.

Not rocket science.

faijai

south coast
Very anarchy of you Scott. Not looking at the big picture , just me, me, me.

The issue is if everyone thinks like that,  then you can't have social distancing because everyone is out doing their own thing, be it playing in the park or on boats.

For the sake of solidarity and one pain, all pain. STAY IN , for everyones sake.

Plumber

Anarchist
East
The port of San Diego just announced that recreational boating in San Diego bay is prohibited, effective today. This is totally unnecessary, a typical overreaction, and I am super pissed.

Here’s why it is ridiculous. Here is their previous policy:

Consistent with state orders regarding recreation, it’s allowed so long as you can maintain a safe social distance of six feet from people who aren’t part of your household. Per the state stay-at-home order, non-essential gatherings of any size are not allowed. Everyone has the responsibility to “Flatten the COVID-19 Curve” by maintaining a social distance of 6 feet or more when recreating in the outdoors, and staying home if they are sick. If you cannot maintain social distancing, you need to go elsewhere or return home.

What is wrong with that? It is near perfect. But no, the dopes on Port board had to go and fuck it up and install draconian measures that do almost NOTHING to keep people safe, but do EVERYTHING to piss of the thousands of boaters here. Talk about government overreach.

And so are people going sailing tomorrow supposed to know about this late in the date horseshit announcement?  What, are they going to ticket people? Impound their boats? Arrest them?

Guess what? I’m going sailing tomorrow anyway. Arrest me, bitches. I need some good content. – ed.
You're an idiot. Go sail if it's that important to you. I'm in Quebec. Your lack of judgement won't have any impact on me. Just don't come crying on this platform when a month from now you're hooked on a respirator...

AClass USA 230

Anarchist
Louisiana
Hmmm, this is interesting and I appreciate all view points. So far, my wife and I have indulged in the following activities since Louisiana issued Stay At Home guidelines (not mandatory yet) (Gov. John Bell Edwards still encourages people to engage in outdoor activities but advises using common sense and exercise social distancing. The guidelines also discourage gatherings of over 10 people and to exercise social distancing if over 10).

We go to the grocery store and keep our distance and wash our hands (frequently).

My wife spent 3 days last week with a close friend bird watching in north Louisiana (they are avid birders) and they took their own food with them and they only came into proximity of others if they stopped for gas and misc supplies (mainly water). They made the decision to go since neither for the last month have had any sign of a cough or fever. The hotels they stayed at for two nights were well setup for the current guidelines and were happy to have them as customers. They felt safe the entire trip while exercising vigilance and awareness.

I’ve done three rides on my road bike in the country by myself. I stopped on two of them on the way back and got a post ride coffee going through a drive up.

I go stand up paddle boarding on a river by myself, the launch is a 1/4 mile from our house.

My wife and I are going to the dry storage of our yacht club this afternoon and hoisting our Sprint 750 tri in for a sunset sail, just the two of us. We’ll bring provisions from home and maintain our social distancing if we run into anyone else at the dry storage area.

So are we selfish and irresponsible ( I’ve not had any close contact for the last month with any friends and my wife has only had contact with her birding friend)? I don’t think so (but I’m sure others do and so I’m ready to called whatever). I think we are using common sense while being considerate and careful of others.

While I’m chuckling at Scott being fed a bit of his own medicine, I’m sympathetic to his frustration but he lives in a much more population dense area than I do.

cbulger

Newport
So here in Boston we have 70 firefighters who have tested positive so far - We know the Navy has a big problem -  we will see how many police officers get sick breaking up parties on beaches or boats.

Responsible smart sailors know that we share the water with plenty of idiots.  This plague is bad and could get a lot worse.  We will see what RI decides to do, Ive got 4 boats that will be ready, but I’m OK if first responders don’t want to endure the risks associated with supporting yachting right know.

Sailing (or boating in general) is not a problem in Richmond VA BUT despite urging people to be sure and exercise, the mayor has ordered city parks and park parking places closed on WEEKENDS. Why not during the week as well especially when even local governments in some cases have had massive layoffs to various governmental bodies?

DustyDreamer

Anarchist
Not being able to sail is driving me insane and breaking  my heart. I was out up to 4 days a week every week since January... 

But to say this again because apparently it needs to be repeated over and over: this doesn't get done if people insist on going out and about. Every time you leave the house you potentially come into contact with CV. It's a risk. And the more people who do that, the greater the risk and the greater the spread. It's not fucking rocket surgery and it truly isn't just about you. 

Personally I'm starting to get mighty pissed off because every person I see wandering around doing non-essential shit, like the fucking weekenders coming up here with the dirt bikes, means more and more time until I can sail. I find myself genuinely hoping they get sick so at least they'll be immobilized and the rest of us, who are paying attention to how this works, can get on with our lives sooner. 

axolotl

Super Anarchist
San Diego
A good idea.  Being out on the water is no problem, but *getting there* is, if your boat's in a slip.  Docks aren't six feet wide, gotta use the restrooms, dockcarts, open gates, use handrails, etc.  I'm a liveaboard so it'll be interesting to see how this stricture plays out.  It'd be easy to enforce,  just park a Harbor Police/CG patrol boat at the entrances to the marinas.

Israel Hands

Super Anarchist
coastal NC
I see in the USA you are now getting 1000's of deaths a day, and this will increase over time as infected people show up as positive. Look at the published stats, the contagion rate is exponential & the death rate around 5%. So, for all you people who think it is OK to go sailing this weekend, what if just one person who goes out with you is contagious? That could result in you contracting the virus and in the week before everything shows you could well have resulted in a further 128 people also having the virus. With a death rate of 5% that's around 6 people who will die. It won't be a pleasant death, they'll essentially die gasping for breath probably in a hospital corridor given a shortage of ICU beds and ventilators, there will be no family allowed near - but hey your are all tough yachties so you probably don't give a fuck anyway. They are already throwing bodies in refrigerated containers to be carted off for cremation.

So, if you are keen to go out, maybe don't go the whole hog, post on here how proud you are to disregard official advice & nominate just two close contacts you would be happy to see die!

Doesn't need to be a huge post - maybe something along the lines of "I'm going sailing this weekend regardless of the worldwide pandemic because my recreation is more important than anything else & I nominate my parents to be the ones to die!" - or wife, kids, uncle, shopkeeper, yourself, or whoever you don't give a shit about.
Newbies don't usually burst on the scene with a flamethrower at the Ed.  Maybe this is your preacher's avatar?

Look at the shit that went down last weekend with boaters all over the USA having big old raft-up parties.  A lot of folks with boats are idiots, and so the state has to shut down boating entirely.  Seriously, folks, JUST STAY HOME.  Yes, it's boring.  Yes, it may well save your life, or someone else's life. It will help all of us to get past this Covid stuff faster.  Stay home--show that you actually care about somebody other than yourself.

bourbon on the bow

You don't need to sail, or play golf, or fish, or go camping, skiing....because we say so. These activities waste valuable resources better utilized for supporting homeless and illegal aliens. And since you can't participate in these activities any longer, you don't need your SUV or pick-up truck. These will be collected shortly. You must have an approved EV.  Gasoline and diesel will be rationed to those deemed most valuable to the collective. Vacation homes will be commandeered for repurposing. 
Damn I wish even half of this was true cause it would rule.

Matagi

Ambassador of the Republic of R'lyeh
I'll try to add something productive here:

If you have a boat, you are already on the somewhat luckier side. So far. Enduring the recurring costs of your beautiful asset and see its value going south is a different discussion.

But: please keep in mind that the more disciplined we are today, the sooner we can party again. And with people who haven't died. Parents even, maybe. Yeah!

We all miss our time on the water. It's what gives us life and the best memories we want to keep.

But: this is a crisis as we haven't seen it in the last 75 years. The kind of stuff, Grandpa will talk about someday. And lets hope, this sht remains a medical and financial thing that does not induce further action.

So. Did your Grandpa tell you of his sailing trips during WW II, how he waived goodbye to the others, going for Europe or Japan? No.

If you can't sail and don't have access to your boat, do the next best thing: help your community. Maybe start at your club. Any doctors etc. there currently working overtime? Any seniors who shouldn't go out for errants? Help them out.

Possibly we'll get out of this poorer in health or money. So get richer in friends.

sailsail

Boston
Look at the shit that went down last weekend with boaters all over the USA having big old raft-up parties.  A lot of folks with boats are idiots, and so the state has to shut down boating entirely.  Seriously, folks, JUST STAY HOME.  Yes, it's boring.  Yes, it may well save your life, or someone else's life. It will help all of us to get past this Covid stuff faster.  Stay home--show that you actually care about somebody other than yourself.
What state?