well this is bullshit

snipelee

Newbies don't usually burst on the scene with a flamethrower at the Ed.  Maybe this is your preacher's avatar?
The death toll is not "thousands per day" in the US - there have only been around 8,000 since this flu arrived - and something like 87% would have been dead within 6 months regardless. 

Matagi

Ambassador of the Republic of R'lyeh
The death toll is not "thousands per day" in the US - there have only been around 8,000 since this flu arrived - and something like 87% would have been dead within 6 months regardless. 
It is now.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Scroll down a bit.

Mind you, the figures are always lagging some days. UK was underreporting by a factor of 3 last week. So roughly 150 deaths reported for the 29th turned out to have been more than 400.

And: every life matters until the last breath. If this concept works for you, this should work for everyone. If not, we should really shut this species down and leave it to the dolphins and octopussies.

CFS Klopas

There is a reason you're allowed to go outside. The last thing the US needs from a health perspective is for everyone to give up on exercising. 

I caught a nice break that Indiana deemed marinas essential, so I'll be working on my boat next week.

Last edited by a moderator:

LB 15

Cunt
We have the same restrictions on boating here but you can still sail 'for exercise'. (Who ever came up with that little gem has never seen the crowd at the end of a yacht race - most 'athletes' look like the before picture in a Jenny Craig ad). But a senior Doc explained it that the government want to stop people moving about and out of their neighborhoods. If there is an outbreak in an area they can jump on it if people are staying locally and it makes contact tracing so much easier. Nevertheless it truly sucks. The boat ramps here have been a shitfight and I think that had a bit to do with there thinking. Yet 1000's of morons went to the markets in Brisbane yesterday - and the government allowed it. 

TheDragon

Super Anarchist
"Stay-at-home" means just that for all the reasons explained here. How else are we going to stop this thing short of a vaccine? 

I find it as hard as anyone else, our local lake is closed to everything, even fishing and kitesurfing. I still walk my dog, but that truly does not involve either risk (getting the virus myself, or transmitting it to others while still asymptomatic). And I go for bike rides, again without touching anything else or getting near anybody else. I go grocery shopping as rarely as possible, so far twice in two weeks of the Illinois lockdown. I've also done car trips to nearby woods for walks. The only exposure from this is the need to fill up the gas tank, so we use the Prius instead of the Sienna, and wait till near empty, and use a disposable plastic bag to handle the gas pump (both to avoid picking up the virus, and to avoid giving it to someone else if I am asymptomatic). Here's my current conundrum, I'm seriously tempted to head to an open lake further away for kitesurfing given the forecast for a nice strong warm SWester on Tuesday, but will try to restrain myself. I nearly died of pneumonia about 10 years ago, so I know what that drowning feels like, and don't want to go there again or cause anyone else to go there.

sailsail

Boston

sailsail

Boston
"Stay-at-home" means just that for all the reasons explained here. How else are we going to stop this thing short of a vaccine? 

I find it as hard as anyone else, our local lake is closed to everything, even fishing and kitesurfing. I still walk my dog, but that truly does not involve either risk (getting the virus myself, or transmitting it to others while still asymptomatic). And I go for bike rides, again without touching anything else or getting near anybody else. I go grocery shopping as rarely as possible, so far twice in two weeks of the Illinois lockdown. I've also done car trips to nearby woods for walks. The only exposure from this is the need to fill up the gas tank, so we use the Prius instead of the Sienna, and wait till near empty, and use a disposable plastic bag to handle the gas pump (both to avoid picking up the virus, and to avoid giving it to someone else if I am asymptomatic). Here's my current conundrum, I'm seriously tempted to head to an open lake further away for kitesurfing given the forecast for a nice strong warm SWester on Tuesday, but will try to restrain myself. I nearly died of pneumonia about 10 years ago, so I know what that drowning feels like, and don't want to go there again or cause anyone else to go there.
I’ve been enjoying biking without all the cars around. That has been nice...

A

Amati

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/officials-paddleboarder-arrested-at-malibu-pier-for-flouting-state-stay-at-home-order/

Why does the state just say:

” We will no longer provided residue and assistance to recreational boaters at this time.”  

That way people can still be on the lakes or ocean while practicing social distancing. But no first responders are at risk. You drown, burn, hurt yourself then you’re on your own. Sort of like a “At your own risk” situation. 

Those floating bodies.  Who goes and gets them?  My wife and I would love to go sailing 2 up.  Or me solo on the K1.  But when I was lifeguarding, every once in a while we’d have to call the local authorities to fish out a corpse- usually someone who went night swimming at the beach, after hours, a suicide, or a murder.   What would an infected dead stiff bloated Petri dish do to the aqua?  To the folks fishing it out?  So I get the rules, but it’s a pain.  Meanwhile the boat deteriorates, and I can’t go down to check her.  

A

Amati

Not being able to sail is driving me insane and breaking  my heart. I was out up to 4 days a week every week since January... 

But to say this again because apparently it needs to be repeated over and over: this doesn't get done if people insist on going out and about. Every time you leave the house you potentially come into contact with CV. It's a risk. And the more people who do that, the greater the risk and the greater the spread. It's not fucking rocket surgery and it truly isn't just about you. 

Personally I'm starting to get mighty pissed off because every person I see wandering around doing non-essential shit, like the fucking weekenders coming up here with the dirt bikes, means more and more time until I can sail. I find myself genuinely hoping they get sick so at least they'll be immobilized and the rest of us, who are paying attention to how this works, can get on with our lives sooner. 
The Islands up here finally put a 14 day quarantine on anyone non essential coming from off island, and have asked anyone who doesn’t have to not to go off island and come back,  With any luck we can keep the sick list down to 6, and not turn into Sun Valley.

We are also going insane not sailing.  We retired here to go sailing.  

Last edited:

sailsail

Boston
usually someone who went night swimming at the beach, after hours, a suicide, or a murder.  
Those sound like things that are illegal already. 

I was a lifeguard in LA county beaches for three years I’m well aware of the risk. Maybe you worked some terrible areas but Will Rogers never had too many problems. The occasional drunk guy, I think one suicide is all I experienced. Yes, lots of rescues but everyone one I did was someone doing something beyond their ability or not lying attention to the surroundings. Even the kids you pull out were there because their parents didn’t give a shit. Nothing like pulling a kid out and then having to find her parents passed out drunk on a towel. That’s the reason the beaches are closed I assumed, for those idiots. 

If you’re a competent coastal sailor with the right equipment who cares if you sail in marina del ray or stick your nose out? Luckily people are still being safe in Marina Del Ray and it’s still open. I have no issues if they arrest or fine people for being on a boat with people they’re not living with.  However if my wife and I want to drift around Marina Del Ray in a WWP 19 then fuck it. Yeah not going to take the cat out as there is more risk but my 1 knot shit box (that’s being generous) is perfectly safe in the inlet. 

A

Amati

Those sound like things that are illegal already. 

I was a lifeguard in LA county beaches for three years I’m well aware of the risk. Maybe you worked some terrible areas but Will Rogers never had too many problems. The occasional drunk guy, I think one suicide is all I experienced. Yes, lots of rescues but everyone one I did was someone doing something beyond their ability or not lying attention to the surroundings. Even the kids you pull out were there because their parents didn’t give a shit. Nothing like pulling a kid out and then having to find her parents passed out drunk on a towel. That’s the reason the beaches are closed I assumed, for those idiots. 

If you’re a competent coastal sailor with the right equipment who cares if you sail in marina del ray or stick your nose out? Luckily people are still being safe in Marina Del Ray and it’s still open. I have no issues if they arrest or fine people for being on a boat with people they’re not living with.  However if my wife and I want to drift around Marina Del Ray in a WWP 19 then fuck it. Yeah not going to take the cat out as there is more risk but my 1 knot shit box (that’s being generous) is perfectly safe in the inlet. 
What can I say- I’ve been having dreams where I’m listening to the head guard explain rules that didn’t make any sense.  50 years ago.  Aaaack..

oh well, shut down here in NY too, not allowed to really even enter the Marinas as they are closed to the public. I kind of get it but then why are the fucking golf courses open and crawling with golfers? My son in law is a golf pro and I am glad he is busy and making money but really? I cant go see my boat in an empty cold boat yard yet the lawyers, idled doctors and taxfunded civil servants can crowd the golf courses? fuck me :(

B dock

SF bay
Everyone makes some good points but every bodies situation may be different.  My business is considered essential, we do public works engineering as well sanitation engineering and service the waste disposal industry (i.e. landfills).  All of my 22 employees are working from home as much as possible but billing, access to large plotters, and field work still need to get done if I am going to keep these people employed.  I am fortunate that my office is 50 yards from my boat.  I have been sailing about twice week just for a mental break.  Every time I enter the dock gates I sanitize the handle with either wipes or spray disinfectant, entering and exiting the dock.  I sail only solo and having been going out in less than 15 knots.  I have the ability to sail my boat in and out of the slip if needed.  I drive to work in an EV which I charge at home in my driveway (I have not been to gas station 12 months yo!!!).  My office is enclosed and I usually only deal with employees through my closed office glass door or through phone calls or emails.  I have told all employees as of Monday they must wear face masks in and out of office. So what is wrong with me if go for sail at lunchtime?  I believe that we all have a responsibility, and I would endorse the coast guard boarding any recreational boats with more than 1 person to ensure they are all household members but I think banning all recreational boating is a bit extreme.

p.S.  If you are a multiple car household and you do not drive at least one EV your a douche and get with the program.

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
 I would endorse the coast guard boarding any recreational boats with more than 1 person to ensure they are all household members but I think banning all recreational boating is a bit extreme.
Enforcement officers shouldnt be put at risk running around enforcing a non-essential activity or taken from something more critical. 

RobG

Super Anarchist
Everyone makes some good points but every bodies situation may be different.
Your situation is unique, laws are not made for individuals but for communities. Through their actions, boaties have shown that they will not comply with social distancing measures when asked to voluntarily, so now it's a blanket ban.

The Coast Guard and Water Police do not have the time or resources to check that every boat on the water is complying with social distancing requirements. They will not board any boat unless they're wearing full PPE, which is a drain on a badly needed resource that should be reserved for the people who need it to save lives, not check compliance with county regulations.

p.S.  If you are a multiple car household and you do not drive at least one EV your a douche and get with the program.
You refuse to comply with lawful directions aimed at saving lives, but start name–calling when people don't follow your example for the cars they drive?

B dock

SF bay
Unfortunately law enforcement is their job, it may suck but hey they have to do a lot of other stupid shit.

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
Unfortunately law enforcement is their job, it may suck but hey they have a lot of other stupid shit.
So B dock it's a police/marine enforcement officers job to go out there and enforce instead of banning it and so not having to enforce the stupid.

This for a disease that spreads like wildfire, where you can have it and show no symptoms but still spread it.

A disease where in UK 125,000 front line health workers with symptoms are at home isolating for 2 weeks (not enough PPE and testing to go around) when there is crisis in health care worker number availability.

- Yes Sarge.

- Son I want you to round around and check on these boaters to make sure they are all social distancing while they have a good time.

- But Sarge I don't have any PPE and isn't there a risk I might get it and or might be helping spread it doing that? 

- That's too bad, it's your job.

Unfortunately law enforcement is their job, it may suck but hey they have to do a lot of other stupid shit.
Wow, I think you may win the A hole post of the year award. Your concern for all the public servants out there who are not neglecting there duty is awe inspiring.  Unlike the many whining posters about having recreational activities halted, they go out daily putting themselves and their families at risk for the betterment of everyone else.