well this is bullshit

Trouper

Auckland
The death toll is not "thousands per day" in the US - there have only been around 8,000 since this flu arrived - and something like 87% would have been dead within 6 months regardless. 
image.png

You may notice the exponential nature of the plot... A month ago you had no infections, today over 300,000, fatalities lag as it takes time for people to die. Also, it's not flu - there was a flu pandemic in 1918 & 50million people died worldwide, today there's vaccinations for flu. This Coronavirus has killed around 65,000 worldwide so a fair way behind - although medical experts had told the US government they could expect 2.2million deaths if you did not enforce isolation.

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
. They will not board any boat unless they're wearing full PPE, which is a drain on a badly needed resource that should be reserved for the people who need it to save lives, not check compliance with county regulations.
Putting aside risk to them without PPE and PPE shortage. Enforcing social distancing on something non-essential because not prohibited (save for where essential), they are then helping spread what they are enforcing to assist not spread. That's really smart.

Last edited by a moderator:

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
It is interesting how different the trmporary restrictions are from place to place.

Black Jack

Super Anarchist
One of the best days ever.

Some of you may be dead next week because you went to the grocery store that won't send sick baggers and cashiers home or refuse to pay sick days when they catch the virus. 

BE SAFE. PLAY SAFE. LIVE HAPPY.

Left Shift

Super Anarchist
Seattle
The port of San Diego just announced that recreational boating in San Diego bay is prohibited, effective today. This is totally unnecessary, a typical overreaction, and I am super pissed.

Here’s why it is ridiculous. Here is their previous policy:

Consistent with state orders regarding recreation, it’s allowed so long as you can maintain a safe social distance of six feet from people who aren’t part of your household. Per the state stay-at-home order, non-essential gatherings of any size are not allowed. Everyone has the responsibility to “Flatten the COVID-19 Curve” by maintaining a social distance of 6 feet or more when recreating in the outdoors, and staying home if they are sick. If you cannot maintain social distancing, you need to go elsewhere or return home.

What is wrong with that? It is near perfect. But no, the dopes on Port board had to go and fuck it up and install draconian measures that do almost NOTHING to keep people safe, but do EVERYTHING to piss of the thousands of boaters here. Talk about government overreach.

And so are people going sailing tomorrow supposed to know about this late in the date horseshit announcement?  What, are they going to ticket people? Impound their boats? Arrest them?

Guess what? I’m going sailing tomorrow anyway. Arrest me, bitches. I need some good content. – ed.
Well, aren't you fucking special.  

If your sense of personal entitlement was only 10% larger you could be mistaken for a tRump Tater Tot.  Go ahead, you do you. 

Left Shift

Super Anarchist
Seattle
Unfortunately law enforcement is their job, it may suck but hey they have to do a lot of other stupid shit.
Well, aren't you fucking special.  

If your sense of personal entitlement was only 10% larger you could be mistaken for a tRump Tater Tot.  Go ahead, you do you. 

Wess

Super Anarchist
The port of San Diego just announced that recreational boating in San Diego bay is prohibited, effective today. This is totally unnecessary, a typical overreaction, and I am super pissed.

Here’s why it is ridiculous. Here is their previous policy:

Consistent with state orders regarding recreation, it’s allowed so long as you can maintain a safe social distance of six feet from people who aren’t part of your household. Per the state stay-at-home order, non-essential gatherings of any size are not allowed. Everyone has the responsibility to “Flatten the COVID-19 Curve” by maintaining a social distance of 6 feet or more when recreating in the outdoors, and staying home if they are sick. If you cannot maintain social distancing, you need to go elsewhere or return home.

What is wrong with that? It is near perfect. But no, the dopes on Port board had to go and fuck it up and install draconian measures that do almost NOTHING to keep people safe, but do EVERYTHING to piss of the thousands of boaters here. Talk about government overreach.

And so are people going sailing tomorrow supposed to know about this late in the date horseshit announcement?  What, are they going to ticket people? Impound their boats? Arrest them?

Guess what? I’m going sailing tomorrow anyway. Arrest me, bitches. I need some good content. – ed.
Be careful.  Here in MD we have the same order and DNR has been issuing citations like crazy.   In theory you are allowed to fish or crab if you are eating what you catch but they are citing those folks as well. Threatening to seize boats as well; don't think they have gone that far yet but bet they will to make the point.  You can't fight city hall.  Huge fines and loss of boat ain't worth it.  The funny thing they allowed folks to be on water for exercize so kayaks and SUP were exempt. Was talking to a friend about how law of unintended consequences means if that was the only way to get out somebody would... and sure enough, no kidding, some Kennedy goes out in a canoe  and kills self and kid.  Can't make this shit up (and would not wish that on anyone).  This whole covid thing seems tom be turning into a perverse political game, Darwin contest, economic suicide for those who can least afford the restrictions and bring the red and blue politician closer together huddled in their home away from the unwashed masses. Don't like your civil liberties taken away... get to the polls in November and send a message.  Anyway; good luck out there. The only thing for sure about covid-19 is this whole situation sucks for most everyone in every way possible.

Here in Florida we are allowed to bike, hike, fish, boat or sail as long as we don’t have 10 or more together and don’t pull up on the beach. Our boat is in a slip. My wife and I drove there Thursday, went from the car to the boat , cast the lines and sailed for two hours on a large bay away from everyone. Back to the dock, in the car then straight home.   It was legal and we didn’t touch anything or get within 50 feet of a single person. 

Today I rode my motorcycle in the forest for a couple hours. No stopping except for in the middle of the woods. Been walking 4.5 miles a day (again, not near anyone). We’re lucky that we provisioned early so no grocery trips needed...we’ve been through multiple hurricanes here over the years that shut everything down so we’re pretty used to going off the grid for long periods of time. 

linaszuk

Everyone makes some good points but every bodies situation may be different.  My business is considered essential, we do public works engineering as well sanitation engineering and service the waste disposal industry (i.e. landfills).  All of my 22 employees are working from home as much as possible but billing, access to large plotters, and field work still need to get done if I am going to keep these people employed.  I am fortunate that my office is 50 yards from my boat.  I have been sailing about twice week just for a mental break.  Every time I enter the dock gates I sanitize the handle with either wipes or spray disinfectant, entering and exiting the dock.  I sail only solo and having been going out in less than 15 knots.  I have the ability to sail my boat in and out of the slip if needed.  I drive to work in an EV which I charge at home in my driveway (I have not been to gas station 12 months yo!!!).  My office is enclosed and I usually only deal with employees through my closed office glass door or through phone calls or emails.  I have told all employees as of Monday they must wear face masks in and out of office. So what is wrong with me if go for sail at lunchtime?  I believe that we all have a responsibility, and I would endorse the coast guard boarding any recreational boats with more than 1 person to ensure they are all household members but I think banning all recreational boating is a bit extreme.

p.S.  If you are a multiple car household and you do not drive at least one EV your a douche and get with the program.
So everyone gets to stay at home unless you own a boat?  I'm not sure I heard an exception to that in the various state "shelter in place" orders.  A lot of people are having to go without playing with their toys or doing various activities.  Get over it.  There are a lot of people that are very sick AND fucking dying from this Covid-19.  I'm an "essential" employee. I found out 3 days ago,  that I was in the same space as a contractor that has been tested positive for Covid-19 10 days ago.  Scared the crap out of me for a while. There are thousand of healthcare worker being exposed to the virus all day long.  In Chicago, the dead are being stacked in refrigerator trailers.  So, if you want to be a whiny little bitch about not being allowed to go play with your boat.... go fuck yourself.  I have zero sympathy for you and your boat.  I hope your family and friends survive you.

There is no way that we are all going to avoid this.  We are all, eventually, going to be exposed at some point in the future.  The idea is to spread that out so that the health care professionals/industry can treat us and possible save us from that eventual exposure.  If we all get exposed near enough together, a lot of us are going to die.  You can look at Italy for what happens in that scenario.  

And, right to B dock,  I call BS to your p.S - not everyone is in a financial situation to be able to afford an EV.  Calling people a douche because they do not have the financial capacity to live their lives according to you, actually highlights what being "a douche" really is. How much damage has making the batteries for that clean EV done to the planet?  How many times  will they need replacing and how often?  I've been keeping my two cars on the road and out of a landfill.  I'm hoping to try to get them to my retirement (hopefully 10-15 years).  When I get to that point, we'll see what transportation options are available.And I have looked into converting one to electric.  I'm not disparaging EVs. I'm disparaging the sanctimonious calling people "a douche" for not being wealthy enough to afford one. I have 2 groceries, 4 liquor stores and a bunch of other shops and services all withing walking distance.  I do ride a bike for groceries when I can.  My old ass mountain-now-cargo bike burns no fuel.  It doesn't rely on grid-fed power to charge itself to move. 

And, if you want a real p.S.  - "your a douche" is not correct.  "You're" demonstrating poor usage of the English language.

onecoolone

You know, we have a constitutional right to navigate, don't ya? Here in California it's even in our State Constitution. Hey, Ed, ain't you some sort of lawyer or somfin?

Applicable Provisions from the California Constitution. The three key principles of the common law Public Trust Doctrine; the right to fish, the right to navigate, and the right to access public tidelands and submerged lands, have been enshrined in the California Constitution since 1879.

Left Shift

Super Anarchist
Seattle
Be careful.  Here in MD we have the same order and DNR has been issuing citations like crazy.   In theory you are allowed to fish or crab if you are eating what you catch but they are citing those folks as well. Threatening to seize boats as well; don't think they have gone that far yet but bet they will to make the point.  You can't fight city hall.  Huge fines and loss of boat ain't worth it.  The funny thing they allowed folks to be on water for exercize so kayaks and SUP were exempt. Was talking to a friend about how law of unintended consequences means if that was the only way to get out somebody would... and sure enough, no kidding, some Kennedy goes out in a canoe  and kills self and kid.  Can't make this shit up (and would not wish that on anyone).  This whole covid thing seems tom be turning into a perverse political game, Darwin contest, economic suicide for those who can least afford the restrictions and bring the red and blue politician closer together huddled in their home away from the unwashed masses. Don't like your civil liberties taken away... get to the polls in November and send a message.  Anyway; good luck out there. The only thing for sure about covid-19 is this whole situation sucks for most everyone in every way possible.
I know three people who have died intubated and gasping.  How many do you know?

Not My Real Name

Not Actually Me
You missed the right to be stupid enough to become a victim.

But carry on, its your right.  
Frankly, I don't give a shit if the stupid and assholic go out and get themselves sick and even maximize their Darwinic potential.

But I have family in their 70s and 80s, I have family with respiratory issues - I've got a history of asthma FFS, I've got family and friends with other health issues and risks. I know doctors, nurses, medical assistants, hospital employees, cops, firemen - there are a lot of people in my direct and indirect circle at risk for infection and death. And so do most other people.

Those at-risk people have to eat and get stuff from the pharmacy. Zero contact is...difficult...at best and unwieldy, expensive and impractical as a rule. Someone has to go to the pharmacy to pick up the meds my FIL needs, you know? Peapod in the town where my parents live is booked solid, so if they want food they have to go to the grocery every now and then.

What I have is issue with is the stupid, ignorant, selfish assholes that put OTHER PEOPLE at risk by continuing to refuse to self isolate, reduce social contact, and maybe for 30 seconds of their lives think of someone else.

BOTTOM LINE: Everyone that gets infected increases the risk that the contagion might reach someone at-risk, because everyone has contact with everything from doorknobs to walk light buttons. And it pisses me right the fuck off that people like my parents, who are doing their utmost to keep themselves safe and uninfected, might get sick because some fucktarded, selfish, soulless asshat decided he couldn't live another day without doing something dumb or thoughtless.

paps49

Super Anarchist
Adelaide Australia
And this my friends is why the US is going to have such a huge problem.

Way too many of you guys just hate being told what to do, even if it kills you.