West Coast 8m fleet

Cyn

Maryland
I have a Mirage 30, built in 1984, which I am renovating in the Annapolis, MD area.  It is a well built boat. It has one weakness, which is the design of the floor of the cockpit sole.  I had to have the surface peeled off, the soggy wood removed and the entire section filled with glass and a new surface put on top.  Now it is as solid as a rock. In one other place, the fin keel was rough construction, which has been fixed.  The engine is 13HP.  Other than that the layout is very good.  It is a dry boat.  There is almost no cracking in the gelcoat.  The hull had very small blisters, which have all even repaired. The old gelcoat is shining up very nicely and it cleans up very well.  It looks much younger than its many years.  The boat is fun to sail.  It is responsive and fast. It has simple 1980s technology, which is a good thing in my book. I am installing a windlass on the corner of the sail locker.  I saw this installation in the Hunter 27 owner's cite.  We are not finished, but is going better than we hoped. Bob Perry designed the Mirage 30.

I have a Mirage 30, built in 1984, which I am renovating in the Annapolis, MD area.  It is a well built boat. It has one weakness, which is the design of the floor of the cockpit sole.  I had to have the surface peeled off, the soggy wood removed and the entire section filled with glass and a new surface put on top.  Now it is as solid as a rock. In one other place, the fin keel was rough construction, which has been fixed.  The engine is 13HP.  Other than that the layout is very good.  It is a dry boat.  There is almost no cracking in the gelcoat.  The hull had very small blisters, which have all even repaired. The old gelcoat is shining up very nicely and it cleans up very well.  It looks much younger than its many years.  The boat is fun to sail.  It is responsive and fast. It has simple 1980s technology, which is a good thing in my book. I am installing a windlass on the corner of the sail locker.  I saw this installation in the Hunter 27 owner's cite.  We are not finished, but is going better than we hoped. Bob Perry designed the Mirage 30.
Cool story, tell us more

Cyn

Maryland
Thanks for the compliment. First it was a Hunter 37 owners group showing the installation of the windlass in the corner of the anchor locker, not a Hunter 27--I misspoke.  The Hunter 37 owner did the absolute minimum amount of change and damage to the traditional construction of the anchor locker.  I have to get the photos moved into my computer. If I can figure out how to do this, I will.  A local tech working on my Mirage 30, which I call "Wind Song," and we now informally call her "Baby's Bottom," because Tommy Solomon has done such a fabulous job on the hull.  He has told me that the Mirage is a very well constructed sailboat. Tommy has his own business and is well respected and very experienced in the Annapolis area, so his word counts. He told me that if I had to buy the boat NEW at this level of construction quality, it would cost me $249,000. Hard to believe. The first tech I had working on the boat kept telling me as he was going through the boat, and would say that one thing was well designed, or another was very well done, or a different feature was a very good build, etc. and on and on while he was going through internal features sticking his head in places. It was a relief to hear all of this because fixing up a boat has turned out to take much more time than I thought and costs much more. The boat does not have a lot of water or gas tankage.  We added water tanks.  I have no plans for big adventures.  If I can make it comfortable and easy to sail, all I plan to do is "potsy" around the Chesapeake Bay.  My daughter is getting married and plans to have a youngster. Anyway, I am hoping to take the little one out sailing lots when he or she is older.  It will be great fun.

Cyn

Maryland
I have been looking for a Mirage 30 site in Sailing Anarchy and not finding one. This site is certainly lively.  The boat link showing the older boat, 8mR is really nice, Upp3.

Cyn

Maryland
Here is my "Teak repair" story.  My first tech was upset that a long ago previous owner had gotten his tool out and put a number of bad and useless holes in the boat, including in the beautiful teak in the interior. He called this long ago owner, "Monkey Butt."  He had gouged two holes while held the speakers in the bulkheads between the main cabin and the fore cabin. How to deal with the mess?  Well, I realized that the ETSY website has tons of old stuff for sale.  When I grew up, every self-respecting woman had a teak salad set.  I realized that a teak salad bowl would cover up the back of the speaker in the fore cabin as well as the ugly gouges in the bulkheads.  Sure enough, two teak bowls I bought from the ETSY website covered up the backs and the ugly gouges and matched the teak wood.  I had four bowls left over which are in the galley now for salad. Cost was $45. There were other horrible holes in the teak.  I bought flat, very cute cutouts of fish in teak and my tech put them on the holes in a decorative fashion and they covered the holes very nicely. That was another ETSY purchase less than $30. The teak decorative fish match the teak in the boat.

Cyn

Maryland
I have to get out to the boat and promise to take pictures of the 1950s teak salad bowls nailed on to the backs of the bulkheads that cover up the backs of the speakers and hide the ugly gouged holes that they are in. It worked. The teak fish are very cute and cover up ugly holes on the teak--will take pictures of those. Oh, I thought about it, and my first tech did not call the guy who put so many gouges in the boat "Monkey Butt,"  he called him "Monkey Brains."  Same difference.  Monkey Brains cut a huge rectangular hole in the bottom of the locker right by the nav station. I do not know what possessed him to do this.  So I went back to ETSY and bought a teak grill that is used to keep hot pans from burning a counter. The grill has strips of teak in two directions with a rectangular frame on the outside.  My tech put it over the big rectangular hole and it looks good. That was about $50. I have to find another 6 x 9 teak cover to go over a slightly smaller fiberglass hole in the cabin, so it will be back to ETSY, which has been great. My new tech, Joe is taking off thru hulls which will be replaced, probably with a reinforced fiberglass vinyl thru hull--I will have to get advice on this.  I have been told that the old thru hulls can erode around the opening in the hull. Joe says the openings so far are in pretty good shape, but you do not know until they are taken off and checked.  The boat is 36 years old. 

Cyn

Maryland
Here are some corner installation photos of the windlass on my Mirage 30 similar to the installation on the Hunter 37.  It is on the Right hand corner of the sail locker and does minimal violence to the anchor locker and interior of the boat as you can see.

IMG_0190.jpeg

IMG_0191.jpeg

IMG_0192.jpeg

IMG_0193.jpeg

Latest posts