Western America road trip anarchy?.....

Timo42

Super Anarchist
You are only 2137 miles from Rock City, then there's the World's Largest Ball Of Twine you were asking about...
cool.gif
You could check out Friday Harbor, Wa. and see what's going on there.
ph34r.gif

Mike in Seattle

Super Anarchist
Latte land
I think yu all might want to be careful sending the Canukistan hater that close to the northern territories.

TOG
not to worry,,

If he makes it this far north,,

I'll abduct him, drag him into the mountains,

and rent him to three-some of Squatchettes as a sex slave.

,, he prolly won't want to invade Canuckistan for a while after that,,

B)

Mojo31

Super Anarchist
guys.....fred's shop!?!? really?

for sailing themed barbe's i usually prefer to step off a boat onto the dock, then be absolutely no more than 10m or so from cold beers.......fred's shop is not conducinve to this SOP........

not to mention it would be stupid hot and miserable in there in july!!!!
No, not really. But, then again we are talking about Rick Boothe.

I wouldn't really subject him to Lone Star either.

Tucky

Super Anarchist
Maine
I'm in the "Seen one cave you've seen them all" camp, but had a great experience at Carlsbad a few years ago, thanks to asking a Ranger in a laundromat the night before what to do at the cave. His advice was

1. Drive up to the park entrance ahead of time- you want to be waiting at the Visitor's Center when it opens, not driving up the road (I think you can eat there).

2. Go right to the desk and ask about the ranger trips and try and sign up for something . Most of the time in the cave you have no real sense of where you are and you are just walking along paths in big rooms with no windows. On our trip (me and my daughter), we put on gear and were led off the path and down a ladder and deep into the unlit parts of the cave- it gets interesting when the cave gets tight and then we shut off our lights and experienced total darkness, which is cool though your eyes go crazy.

The internet may have changed things about signing up, but I'd check ahead if it ends up on your list.

I'll also put in a word for Canyon de Chelly instead of the Grand Canyon- drive to one of the Grand Canyon overlooks and cross it off your list, but spend some time at Canyon de Chelly, which has a scale and beauty unmatched.

Have a great trip.

DaveK

Super Anarchist
Well, when you are in our fine state you will just have to stop by and shake hands with Gouvernail. Guarandamnteed one of a kind experience. And when you find yourself jogging early in the morning on the fine trails of Austin, watch out for our real Governor. I hear he likes to shoot coyotes, nuts from Kalifornia, and things like that with his concealed handgun while he jogs.

On your way from San Antonio to El Paso, make sure to stop in Ozona. Not really much there, but you could see the The Chihuahua Trail and Escondido Water Hole marker. The Escondido Water Hole is reputed to have saved the lives of many a traveler. You never know.

When you leave Ozona, take 385 south to Beg Ben National Park. That's a cool place, or maybe it's a hot place in the summer. Definitely a big deal.

After that, stop in Van Horn. Not much there, but you might want to buy gas.
That's funny! Van Horn is like one huge trailer park. I keep waiting for a tornado to take it out.

Mojo31

Super Anarchist
Well, when you are in our fine state you will just have to stop by and shake hands with Gouvernail. Guarandamnteed one of a kind experience. And when you find yourself jogging early in the morning on the fine trails of Austin, watch out for our real Governor. I hear he likes to shoot coyotes, nuts from Kalifornia, and things like that with his concealed handgun while he jogs.

On your way from San Antonio to El Paso, make sure to stop in Ozona. Not really much there, but you could see the The Chihuahua Trail and Escondido Water Hole marker. The Escondido Water Hole is reputed to have saved the lives of many a traveler. You never know.

When you leave Ozona, take 385 south to Beg Ben National Park. That's a cool place, or maybe it's a hot place in the summer. Definitely a big deal.

After that, stop in Van Horn. Not much there, but you might want to buy gas.
That's funny! Van Horn is like one huge trailer park. I keep waiting for a tornado to take it out.
Been to Ozona? Not much different, but they do have a DQ.

austin1972

Super Anarchist
Between Grand Canyon and Moab, try to swing through Bryce Canyon if you have time. Very cool place to hike for a day or two and higher elevation than some of the places you mentioned so won't be as hot during the summer. We took a family trip there and to Zion this spring and loved it.
+1. I really love this area of the country. There is nothing like it anywhere else that I know of.

EAA in Oshkosh, WI. About 1.5 hours from Madison. Depending on your timing, the annual fly-in is end of July.

House on the Rock - Spring Green, west of Mad-town. And/or Taliesen - Frank Lloyd Wright estate.

Whitewater??? Somebody going to school there?
EAA is cool but the timing is critical. House on the Rock is overrated IMO. You can see FLW homes all over the midwest.

Personally, I like the bluffs in La Crosse and it's on Boothies path. Good bars in La Crosse too.

My sis lives in the Dells. Tourist trap of the midwest! Good if you have young'uns though.

learningJ24

Super Anarchist
If you get into Montana, you have to hit the Custer Battlefield; looks untouched and feels like the guys from the 7th are still wandering around.

Kansas City: WW I Museum is stunning, Nelson Atkins art Museum is equally impressive and La Bodega Tapas Bar is the perfect evening stop.

Zion and Bryce are awesome. Bryce Canyon picture . if you go to the route of that folder you'll see a small portion of the photos i took when my old man and i did a loop around the country. However, some of the best times we had werent at the main parks, but stopping at a random trailhead some place and going for overnight hikes etc. Craters of the Moon is cool if for only the placard over there that said that Hawaiians called the shop, black/hot, volcanic ground "ah-ah!" rocks.... no shit, thats what i'd call 'em too if i tried to walk on them barefoot...

Oh, and the big ass canyon is pretty cool from the air as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

dreadom

Super Anarchist
Geelong
I am taking notes. Mrs dreadom and myself will be spending 5 days in vegas in September, then a day or two around the bug arse canyon.

Jeff B said:
Rick, how long are you staying in Vegas? I can give you some ideas if you're going to be here a couple of days.

As far as stuff out west - I highly recommend Zion and Bryce Canyon in Utah. Hoover Dam is cool, for about 10 min and the crowds are painful. Go on a weekday if want to see it. Colorado is amazing, jaw-dropping and Colorado Springs is a cool town. Agree with Taos, but its kinda touristy. Tuscon is a cool town too. No road trip is complete without seeing Graceland. And of course Elle in NOLA is her own attraction :) I'm sure you've been to Yosemite, but if not - I think its the most beautiful spot on earth.

Places to avoid - don't drive through KS or NE unless you want to commit suicide. BORING!
Ok Jeff, we did some fine tuning on this route thing----so we'll kidnap you for a couple of hours in Vegas for a cocktail, then we're gonna head to Zion N/P & Bryce for a couple of dayz. And then back-door it somehow up to the Tetons and then Jellystone Park for some sightseeing. After that we'll throw in a tack and head due east, 'til we discover some new lands and claim them for The King..........

Zion and Bryce are awesome. Bryce Canyon picture . if you go to the route of that folder you'll see a small portion of the photos i took when my old man and i did a loop around the country. However, some of the best times we had werent at the main parks, but stopping at a random trailhead some place and going for overnight hikes etc. Craters of the Moon is cool if for only the placard over there that said that Hawaiians called the shop, black/hot, volcanic ground "ah-ah!" rocks.... no shit, thats what i'd call 'em too if i tried to walk on them barefoot...

Oh, and the big ass canyon is pretty cool from the air as well.

Quite the nice little portfolio you got going there, Punk-ass...... :p

Latest posts