Weta anarchy

herveybayregatta-web.jpg

Easter Racing in Queensland - from Kevin Bates - QLD dealer

This year we have 4 so far with 1 from NSW. Brian Harrison and wife are coming up from NSW, 2 boats from Bundaberg an hour away from Hervey Bay and me.

The regatta is again being hosted by the Maryborough Sailing club, Hervey Bay and this is the 87th year of hosting this event and competitors will be coming from all over. We can expect some 60-70 entries across several mono classes.

The Weta is the only multi hull entry. The races will be held over Good Friday, Saturday and Sunday with a presentation night on the Sunday. There are 5 races in total with registration and entries being taken till 11am on Friday along with a briefing at midday and a race in the afternoon. There are 2 races on the Saturday and Sunday. Entry is just $60.

Hope to see some more Weta sailors there!

Kevin

CRAM (Catamaran Racing Assoc. of Michigan) has invited the Weta to their event in Muskegon on July 26-27, 2014. Four Wetas are already registered giving us our own start. Sign up on the CRAMsailing website.

First 2day event with CRAM is free!!

Come sail Lake Michigan - Unsalted and Shark Free

The CRAM regatta in Muskegon promises to be a great opportunity to enjoy racing the WETA. Super protected beach launching and more fresh water than you can imagine. Best of all, it's a terrific way to promote and showcase the WETA. Many may see it as a good alternative to traditional beach cats. My new boat comes in June as part of the Lake Lanier Sailing Club ( Atlanta ) fleet purchase. I can't wait to get on the road and start racing. Join us for some great racing! Knox Rodgers Atlanta

Infidel

Super Anarchist
My early edition Weta is getting an awl grip job to brighten up things. Anybody done this before? I'm guessing there will be some custom projects with these amazing little machines. Metallic Blue. Pics coming.

Nor'Banks

Duck, NC
Nor'Banks Sailing will be displaying a new Weta at the upcoming Annapolis Spring Sailboat Show, April 25-28. This is a great mini version of the Fall Sailbat Show with plenty to see and do. Nor'Banks will be offering a boat show special, but you will need to come and see us or contact us directly for the details. We now have another Weta that has joined WRSC and we are looking keep that fleet growing by offering additional discounts to anyone who joins WRSC with their Weta. Again, you have to contact us for details!

Pete Pollard

Super Anarchist
Today I sailed into the gulf, solo, for the first time in years. This is the right boat for me, it has enough performance to allow good range for day sailing and still be manageable.

We now have a small, casual Weta fleet and will be racing on May 10th. Yahoo!

Multihull Source is hosting a Go Fast Clinic for Weta's July 12th & 13th

The Multihull Source, Inc based in Wareham, Mass is putting on a Go Fast Seminar over the weekend of July 12 & 13 at the beautiful location below.

Concentrating on rigging and sailing skills, the format may be more like a clinic but if we get more knowledgeable sailors who want to hone their racing skills we can do that too.

The main point is to make it fun and get owners and prospects alike interested in sailing Wetas more and practicing some racing maneuvers.

Things like man over board drills, heaving to, sailing backwards, start and stop are as important as sail trim and how to get the boat going fast. Learning your boat more to allow you to be in control, go faster and be more comfortable on the race course. The other areas to touch on are tactics and learning to read the wind and waves.

Contact Bob or Ira from the Multihull Source to find out more! www.themultihullsource.com

wareham.jpg

We're thinking of organising a WetaFest in Australia next year (between Nov-Feb 2014) which will include a distance race.

Fill in the survey here if you're interested in having a holiday down under instead of being snowed in for three months - we might hold it near WetaFest NZ so you can do both events.

I'd love to do something like the Townsville-Cairns trip too - although there's the saltwater crocodiles, Irukandji jellyfish, sharks and venomous snakes and spiders to consider ;-)

There's also the Peter Loft Marathon Race in May which is a 20Km race with a Le Mans start!
Sounds absolutely delightful, nothing like a challenge or two

We're thinking of organising a WetaFest in Australia next year (between Nov-Feb 2014) which will include a distance race.

Fill in the survey here if you're interested in having a holiday down under instead of being snowed in for three months - we might hold it near WetaFest NZ so you can do both events.

I'd love to do something like the Townsville-Cairns trip too - although there's the saltwater crocodiles, Irukandji jellyfish, sharks and venomous snakes and spiders to consider ;-)

There's also the Peter Loft Marathon Race in May which is a 20Km race with a Le Mans start!
Sounds absolutely delightful, nothing like a challenge or two
the NZ WetaFest will be November 21 - 23 2014 anyone who makes it down we can get you a boat!

Last edited by a moderator:
santacruz1.jpg

Sounds like the guys and gals had a great time at the Hobie Kick Off in the weekend - a couple of lines sent in from Jonathan Weston this morning -

Conditions couldn’t have been better for the 2014 Hobie Kick-Off Regatta, held May 4-5 at Santa Cruz YC. This year the Hobie’s invited the Weta Fleet to participate, where it all came down to a photo finish in final race 6. After trading off victories between Jonathan “Hot Donuts” Weston and Dave “Davo” Berntsen in the first five races on Saturday in winds building to 18knots on Saturday, the wind kicked up its heels on Sunday with gusts to 25 knots.

Berntsen took the start and pulled away on the first two legs, only to have that lead shortened on the final weather leg as Weston clawed his way back. On the downwind with Berntsen still a good 100 yards in front, Weston dove deep, surfing the swells to narrow the gap. With a starting fleet of Hobie 20’s in the mix, Weston chose the leeward end of the finish line, and Berntsen failed to cover, instead running into traffic at the pin giving Weston the race and the regatta.

The wind then rose to 30 knots, and seeing as two of the Hobie sailors and one Weta skipper were swimming for their boats, the RC called the fleet to harbor. It was an exciting finish to a great regatta put on by the SCYC and Hobie Fleet. We’ll see them again in Monterey on July 5-6, where all Weta’s are being called on for this fun two-up (two person crew) event.

Results

More Info - https://www.facebook.com/surfcitycatamarans

santacruz5.jpg

unShirley

Super Anarchist
Ventura
I buy it. When you catch a swell or whitecap while gennaker reaching in high winds, as you pointed out, the boat will surf really well. When you "drop in" the boat can accelerate and for one or two seconds go quite fast.

I use my GPS regularly, primarily to check my speed. I hit 18 knts one time. It was probably only for a split second, but it got recorded.

Last Saturday I was out in 12 - 14 kts of wind. Most of the time when I was gennaker reaching I was doing hi 8s and lo 9s occasionally getting up to 11. When I checked my max speed on my GPS at the end of the day, I had hit a 12.4 once. The point is: the Weta is capable of surfing quite easily and when it does so it accelerates dramatically. Therefore, although the average speed may be quite pedestrian, at times the boat can be quite thrilling.

Over the years Weta sailors have found that the boat will easily get going up around 14 kts, but it is difficult to go much faster than that....unless you have some whitecaps or swells to give it a boost....then it will squirt up in speed quite well.

Last edited by a moderator: