WetaFest 2015

cfarrah

Anarchist
FL
6 WEEKS TO WETAFEST 2015

The showdown is on.

Will local legend Jim Leonard defend? Will Mike Krantz and Bob Hodges bring A-Class technique and win victory? Will Keith Rice continue his winning ways? Will Knox get an upset? And don't forget the donut... Jonathan Weston is driving from California hoping 3rd time is the charm... Sneaky damn fast is where you'll find Richard Stephens, the Godfather of the Weta racing scene. And local phenom Linda Wright will be in the mix, returning her Smyth modified Expedition rig to a normal OD setup for the racing. Finally, and new this year, we'll see a doublehanded class for the first time, where the Wieringa Bros and their daughters/nieces will be mixing it up with the Strategery crew (my daughter gave in and agreed to go sail with her old man!).

There is some really great sailing to be had as the class matures.

Highlights:

• 14 entries to date
  • Randy Smyth racing seminar
  • First doublehanded WetaFest class
  • New sponsors: Velocitek, Zhik, Brown-Strynar, Ronstan, Fudpuckers and a secret mystery sponsor to be announced shortly (thanks JonathanW)
  • Drone/Video coverage planned
  • Nightly video recap
  • Spectator boat for racer families/friends
  • Housing assistance - on property, donated housing from yacht club members, reduced rates at area hotels
  • See Linda Wright's Smyth modified campaign boat for the Everglades Challenge - Weta muscle boat

I know at least 12 more entries that are not yet entered (get those entries in!), so this is shaping up to be a great event, and I hope those of you who can dig your boats out of the snowbanks up North decide to come play.

Unbelievably, we have no rental boats available. To all of those who asked, I'm sorry we weren't able to make that happen. However I know of at least one pristine, late model green used boat that will be for sale and could be picked up at the event and raced :lol: . Contact Jon Britt...

Second weekend in April cannot be beat down here on the Florida Panhandle... sun, breeze, rum, beer, music, food and friends. This is how a regatta should be. If you close your eyes for a second, you can almost feel it... taste it... Why fantasize? Come make it a reality!

WetaFest 2015

Fort Walton Yacht Club

04/09/2015 - 04/12/2015

Online Entry: https://www.nextsailor.com/app/page/reg_start/46

From Peter,Paul and Mary ( if you are old enough ) " All my bags are packed. I'm ready to go " Cliff, I can't wait. Atlanta has been pretty cold this winter so the April Ft Walton WX will be a welcome relief. Looks like a record turn-out to boot. Thanks for all your work in advance. I'm starting the car now! Knox Rodgers Weta #1010

cfarrah

Anarchist
FL
Why I love FWYC and you should too...

In response to a racer coming to town early, asking if they would be in the way, our Fleet Captain, Mr. John Farris not only extended an early welcome, but invited all the Wetas traveling in early to participate in the Wednesday Night Fun Race at the club. I had forgotten that the TX boys dominated this in the past... should have worked it in to the schedule!

WetaFest - because you've got another 6" of snow coming your way...

Nor'Banks

Duck, NC
Weta Fest starts this week! Heading out tomorrow to Atlanta to pick up and prep Cliff's new Weta. Racing in the Wednesday night fun race at FWBYC, clinic with Randy Smyth on Thursday and Weta Fest for the weekend. Speaking of Cliff getting a new boat, he has traded in his awesome condition Green boat and that boat is available for purchase at Weta Fest (PM me if you are interested).

Thanks to John and Cliff and the crew at FWBYC for making this event awesome!!

Last edited by a moderator:

cfarrah

Anarchist
FL
She's a mean green machine... With all the go fast tweaks (T-handles, padded hiking straps, compass, deck sweeper jib tie, velcro autopilot, center hiking strap, side mount furling line, padded ama bars, screecher tell tales)...

Jon - See you soon. 22 boats registered... still expecting some on premise entries. Should be a fantastic event!

Nor'Banks

Duck, NC
Weta Fest is Awesome!! Fort Walton Beach Yacht Club is doing a great job as hosts and race committee!! Special shout out to John Farris and Cliff Farrah who have been the main organizers. Thursday was a great opportunity for the sailors to take a seminar with Randy Smyth. This seminar was complements of Weta Florida, Nor'Banks Sailing and Weta Marine. Friday was some great racing with 5 races in some good conditions. Results after day 1:

Single handed class is led by Mike Krantz with Richard Stephens & Bob Patterson in 2nd and 3rd places

Double handed class (which is 4 Father/Daughter teams and 1 Uncle/Niece team) is led by Marcus Eagan with Todd Huggins & Cliff Farrah in 2nd and 3rd

Check out Weta Marine's Facebook Page for complete results (so far) and some great pictures.

cfarrah

Anarchist
FL
Got in 10 races so far. Distance race today...

image.jpg

Latest posts