What’s next for J?

Alaris

Super Anarchist
Maryland
The 121 has been out a few years. Personally I wouldn’t be surprised to see something in the 43-45’ range. This is the first time since the 44 was introduced in 1989 that they haven’t offered a single boat over 40’.

IMR

Anarchist
SF Bay Area
dust off the drawing board and build a fast boat. In the 40 foot range, think 125 with just a little more beam aft and the rudder moved forward.  

Alaris

Super Anarchist
Maryland
dust off the drawing board and build a fast boat. In the 40 foot range, think 125 with just a little more beam aft and the rudder moved forward.  
They were so close with the 121. Could they strip it out and make it cheaper and faster without going full carbon a la 125?

Matagi

Ambassador of the Republic of R'lyeh
I think in the talk with the Ed there were some hints of something like that being in the works, 46ft or so? Would need to listen to it again but less important stuff keeps me from it.

It's an interesting interview from a design perspective, though. You will never see a Pogo/Dehler 30 etc. style boat in the near future as they believe in rather slim lines aft, no chines and an emphasis on a boat that goes upwind as well.

But I agree, a modern version of a 125 would be a good counterpoint to all these inflated bathtubs. Just to show them, that you can do it differently. A slightly faster 99 or 88 would also be good, maybe a re-iteration of the J/90?

img699.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Roleur

Super Anarchist
Orcas Island
They were so close with the 121. Could they strip it out and make it cheaper and faster without going full carbon a la 125?
I feel like they could just turbo the 121 and be there.  The 121 hull is all that, but the rig is so conservative, that it rates basically the same as a 122, despite being much lighter and having water ballast.  Put a decent stick on it, and watch it go.  

Alaris

Super Anarchist
Maryland
I feel like they could just turbo the 121 and be there.  The 121 hull is all that, but the rig is so conservative, that it rates basically the same as a 122, despite being much lighter and having water ballast.  Put a decent stick on it, and watch it go.  
I just looked at the specs and didn’t realize the SA/D was so low. Seems like a missed opportunity but then again they tend to skew conservative generally and the design brief was for short handed sailing. 

IMR

Anarchist
SF Bay Area
I think in the talk with the Ed there were some hints of something like that being in the works, 46ft or so? Would need to listen to it again but less important stuff keeps me from it.

It's an interesting interview from a design perspective, though. You will never see a Pogo/Dehler 30 etc. style boat in the near future as they believe in rather slim lines aft, no chines and an emphasis on a boat that goes upwind as well.

But I agree, a modern version of a 125 would be a good counterpoint to all these inflated bathtubs. Just to show them, that you can do it differently. A slightly faster 99 or 88 would also be good, maybe a re-iteration of the J/90?

The 90 and the 125 have the same dna. 

Varan

Super Anarchist
How about a J75 that can keep up with a 25 year old Melges 24?

Unlikely. 

Alaris

Super Anarchist
Maryland
Those are treading awfully close to the J/70 even given the caveats you both list. I don’t see J stepping on their own toes like that. 

Latest posts