What’s next for J?

SEC16518

Carbon Hall rig 7’ taller than stock, masthead (136m2) and fractional (89m2) kites 

7’ keel (looks like a J/125 without as long a trailing edge on the bulb)

Carbon/GRP rudder (looks like a J/111)

155% genoa

500lb lighter than a stock boat

View attachment 381983
Why?  Seriously, seems like a lot of money sunk into a boat that only rates 66 and has no one design fleet....

LI_sailor

The boat we wanted didn’t exist in 1994. If we were doing it today, maybe we’d go for a 111. As it stands, it is the light air performer we wanted. 
When you crawl into the grave; no one will ask if you did everything the "right" way .... only if you enjoyed the ride.  I love your response!

Alaris

Super Anarchist
Maryland
I’m sorry, but I’ll happily stand behind anyone that “turbos” a boat. It’s simply more fun!
It is fun! And we have the added benefit of lifetime ownership, because it can’t be reverted to class legal so no one would buy it from us!

Last edited by a moderator:

WANDERLUST

I also own a J105!

lovely yours Alaris!

We have problems in light, and we are not able to do your changes!

what about a bigger main and biggest jib and kite?

Alaris

Super Anarchist
Maryland
I also own a J105!

lovely yours Alaris!

We have problems in light, and we are not able to do your changes!

what about a bigger main and biggest jib and kite?
These are our measurements for the small kite (fractional 89m2). We also have a masthead 136m2 but PHRF really kills us on the rating so we are trying out a smaller kite this season. Measurements are accurate unlike a lot of PHRF certificates because the boat has an ORC rating.

941C3F79-C2A0-431D-B44C-274356E1C011.jpeg

Squalamax

Super Anarchist
The Melges 24s I’ve raced against in PHRF regularly get clobbered by boats rating both far higher and far lower. The best boats and crews don’t bother with PHRF. 
Depends on the area, rating and course. In PHRF NE Melges 24's rate 108.

In W/L racing in breeze and waves they don't do that well. The larger boats that rate the same or close can punch through the chop better. They get hammed to the first mark and can't recover downwind. 

In point to point racing with the kite up in breeze they're virtually untouchable.  

Alaris

Super Anarchist
Maryland
I bet its a PHRF weapon at 72. 
We have fun. We’re really a weapon when the wind is so light many people consider canceling races (<6kts). Otherwise a pretty good contender but if there is any upwind in a blow, we get annihilated. Beyond overpowered. Which makes sense, because we designed the boat to race in the summer on the Chesapeake which has traditionally been very light.

We have reduced the size of the main since she was originally built. For one thing the boom came across the pedestal at approximately the helmsman’s teeth, and for another, it was just too much main. She now actually has a shorter E than a stock 105 but several feet more on the hoist.