What’s next for J?

Matagi

Ambassador of the Republic of R'lyeh
But I agree, a modern version of a 125 would be a good counterpoint to all these inflated bathtubs. Just to show them, that you can do it differently. A slightly faster 99 or 88 would also be good, maybe a re-iteration of the J/90?

Call me now for other accurate 2021 predictions: 0800-Prophe-J

:)

dacapo

Super Anarchist
NY
Depends on the area, rating and course. In PHRF NE Melges 24's rate 108.

In W/L racing in breeze and waves they don't do that well. The larger boats that rate the same or close can punch through the chop better. They get hammed to the first mark and can't recover downwind. 

In point to point racing with the kite up in breeze they're virtually untouchable.  
108 is a gift from the gods..............

Alaris

Super Anarchist
Maryland
The 121 has been out a few years. Personally I wouldn’t be surprised to see something in the 43-45’ range. This is the first time since the 44 was introduced in 1989 that they haven’t offered a single boat over 40’.

Looks like I nailed this one 

danstanford

Anarchist
Lake Ontario
So I have been scheming and dreaming about my next boat which would naturally be a J/99 or more likely a J/111. Being used to product cycles today, I am seemingly reluctant to buy a decade old product probably because of the risk that a zoomier new design will come along that will diminish the value of the J/111. 

Is it the case that there is little they can do to better a design like this so it won't likely be replaced by a similar but better product even if it is a decade old? 

Dan 

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
So I have been scheming and dreaming about my next boat which would naturally be a J/99 or more likely a J/111. Being used to product cycles today, I am seemingly reluctant to buy a decade old product probably because of the risk that a zoomier new design will come along that will diminish the value of the J/111. 

Is it the case that there is little they can do to better a design like this so it won't likely be replaced by a similar but better product even if it is a decade old? 

Dan 
I'm not sure if J will start to follow the scow designs, but that would be one option that would really show a performance improvement (in certain conditions of course).

But - don't worry about it. Boats depreciate. That's what they do. 

Take very good care of it and it will depreciate a bit less than one rode-hard/put away wet.

Fintho

Tasmania
So I have been scheming and dreaming about my next boat which would naturally be a J/99
Have sailed one, albeit one with a wheel instead of tiller, and it hasn't blown me away, but they seem to make a good compromise between racer and cruiser, and very easy to handle...

LI_sailor

Dan 
Its pretty much all about timing, how long do you want to wait, and how much you want to spend. With the full disclosure that I own a J/111, I want you to be aware of my bias:

Not buying a J/111 today:

1. New design comes out and its epic. Cost of buying the new boat will be $500 - $750k for a 40+ boat?  Look at the pricing of the J121 when it first came out. But if you can handle the prices on new toys vs old toys, why buy used?

2. Usually J-boat comes out with a new design when the used boat market = 50% of a new one, and we are there. If a new design comes out that rocks, the J/111 will be worth less money and you are throwing money away

3. Old boats

4. Waterline is amazing going upwind in a blow; 36.5 feet isnt a lot of waterline vs the rating

Reason to buy a J/111 today:

1. Once the new design comes out, it will take some time to see if its a good / race winning boat the race to her rating

2. Cost vs a new boat; no comparison. Used boats are great values, assuming you get a good one

3. They are fast boats than can win in a variety of conditions

4. They plane downwind in 17+ knots

5. Strong race record in multiple countries

6. A few weeks ago, before we got the spin up, we were doing 15.6 knots with just the jib up. Fun factor is huge

7. Look at the J-105, J-109 races .... still a boats racing shows that the classes have long legs.

danstanford

Anarchist
Lake Ontario
Its pretty much all about timing, how long do you want to wait, and how much you want to spend. With the full disclosure that I own a J/111, I want you to be aware of my bias:

Not buying a J/111 today:

1. New design comes out and its epic. Cost of buying the new boat will be $500 - $750k for a 40+ boat?  Look at the pricing of the J121 when it first came out. But if you can handle the prices on new toys vs old toys, why buy used?

2. Usually J-boat comes out with a new design when the used boat market = 50% of a new one, and we are there. If a new design comes out that rocks, the J/111 will be worth less money and you are throwing money away

3. Old boats

4. Waterline is amazing going upwind in a blow; 36.5 feet isnt a lot of waterline vs the rating

Reason to buy a J/111 today:

1. Once the new design comes out, it will take some time to see if its a good / race winning boat the race to her rating

2. Cost vs a new boat; no comparison. Used boats are great values, assuming you get a good one

3. They are fast boats than can win in a variety of conditions

4. They plane downwind in 17+ knots

5. Strong race record in multiple countries

6. A few weeks ago, before we got the spin up, we were doing 15.6 knots with just the jib up. Fun factor is huge

7. Look at the J-105, J-109 races .... still a boats racing shows that the classes have long legs.
Fantastic response with lots of very valid points so thanks for taking the time to write it out. I do understand the bias and congratulate you on owning a boat you feel that way about. 

I don't understand point 2 above referring to the used market = 50% of new. Is that the price in the used market? 

Thanks again, Dan 

LI_sailor

Fantastic response with lots of very valid points so thanks for taking the time to write it out. I do understand the bias and congratulate you on owning a boat you feel that way about. 

I don't understand point 2 above referring to the used market = 50% of new. Is that the price in the used market? 

Thanks again, Dan 
With the caveat I have nothing to do with the marine industry, i have noticed that J-boats puts out a new model when the price of the used boats = 50% of the price when it was new.  It could help them on the timing of when they can get the biggest bang out of a new model ... but its an observation and thats it.