What Action Do You Want Biden to take WRT Cuba?

Burning Man

Super Anarchist
Back to the desert
I had hoped we would have invaded Cuba by now.  Inside every Cuban is an American wanting to be set free.  Maybe we'd finally have a country that would welcome us as liberators.  All the rest of the ones we've tried have been ungrateful cunts.  

Once the US military has secured the island, I volunteer myself to go check out all the coral reef dive sites to make sure there are no underwater hazards.  Of course I'll need some local help from the female dive guides to...... you know...... dive.  

image.png

Sol Rosenberg

Girthy Member
Earth
I had hoped we would have invaded Cuba by now.  Inside every Cuban is an American wanting to be set free.  Maybe we'd finally have a country that would welcome us as liberators.  All the rest of the ones we've tried have been ungrateful cunts.  

Once the US military has secured the island, I volunteer myself to go check out all the coral reef dive sites to make sure there are no underwater hazards.  Of course I'll need some local help from the female dive guides to...... you know...... dive.  

View attachment 510566
There’s no need to invade by military means. They want us there. I wasn’t welcomed as a liberator but it wasn’t far from it. When I was scouting Varadero for the race, a Maitre d’ told me “lift the embargo and in six months, this entire island would be speaking English.” He wasn’t wrong. We just need a few more old men to die and it will happen. Once the boomers are done fucking the world for their own benefit, things will shake out. 

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
There’s no need to invade by military means. They want us there. I wasn’t welcomed as a liberator but it wasn’t far from it. When I was scouting Varadero for the race, a Maitre d’ told me “lift the embargo and in six months, this entire island would be speaking English.” He wasn’t wrong. We just need a few more old men to die and it will happen. Once the boomers are done fucking the world for their own benefit, things will shake out. 
99% agree.

I'm not sure about "The entire island speaking English" bit.....

Puerto Rico (Which although certain portions of our country don't understand this) is part of the USA.... But large parts of the island are pretty much habla Espanol only... Like parts of Miami.....

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Biden Is Right: We Shouldn't Restrict Americans in the Name of Liberating Cuba

The White House on Monday announced welcome changes to America's long-contentious policy toward Cuba. It will now be easier for Americans to travel and send money to the communist island, and easier for Cubans to escape to the United States.

The move reinstates the Cuban Family Reunification Parole Program, which from 2007 to 2016 allowed up to 20,000 Cubans per year to come and stay in the U.S. while applying for permanent legal resident status. It also removes the $1,000-per-quarter restriction on how much money Americans can send to family, friends, and private entities across the Florida Straits.

The liberalizations, which followed a lengthy policy review, came under attack not just from Republicans, for whom (with the exception of the occasional Jeff Flake) support of the six-decade U.S. embargo has become a litmus test, but also from the influential Cuban-American chair of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, Bob Menendez (D–N.J.). Menendez's arguments, versions of which are common to foreign policy discussions of countries like Russia and China, are worth considering at length.

There are no Washington-imposed restrictions on Americans traveling to communist China, communist Vietnam, communist Laos, or even communist North Korea, let alone to non-communist totalitarian states such as Saudi Arabia. As Flake told Reason in 2011, "If someone's going to limit my travel, it should be a communist, not my own government."

I'm not so sure I agree. I considered Menedez's arguments at length and they weren't worth it. I should have spent the time wiping down the sink or something. Menendez is wrong, Flake was right in 2011.

spankoka

Super Anarchist
Do people in Cuba know that the war in Ukraine is happening?  When I listen to Radio Havana on shortwave, they do not bring it up. They got some pretty good music, but the English language news is always the CIA did this, or the CIA did that. 

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
Do people in Cuba know that the war in Ukraine is happening?  When I listen to Radio Havana on shortwave, they do not bring it up. They got some pretty good music, but the English language news is always the CIA did this, or the CIA did that. 
Radio Havana, and Voice of the Andes were my two favorite short wave frequencies back in 1980-2

Yes the CIA does consume a lot of their time, but..... maybe there's a reason for that.

Anyway. AFAIC The USA should "normalize" relations with Cuba. Punishing the people for the actions of a no longer existing govt. is problematic. BECAUSE CUBAN EXPATS from 1959 are still pissed off that the commies stole their mafia run businesses is stupid. The Batista regime was worse than the Castro regime in so many ways. But I digress..... Let's let old wounds heal. The rest of the world has no problems with Cuba, why should we?..... (Aside from donations to republican candidates from south Florida).

spankoka

Super Anarchist
Fair enough, I just don't understand why Radio Havana will not say anything about the conflict in Ukraine this long after the Soviet Union is gone. I got Havana loud and clear tonight, and they discussed monkey pox and hepatitis. 

El Borracho

Verified User
Pacific Rim
Fair enough, I just don't understand why Radio Havana will not say anything about the conflict in Ukraine this long after the Soviet Union is gone. I got Havana loud and clear tonight, and they discussed monkey pox and hepatitis. 
Perhaps it is the Russian vote in the UN Security Council. Small countries worry about such things. 

Olsonist

Disgusting Liberal Elitist
New Oak City
Cuba has long standing ties to Russia. Same with India. But they're not sending aid to Russia. They're just checked out. It's not anywhere near as bad as Israel 'abstaining' and trying to be some sort of power broker, well, until we told them to fuck off.

We've seen Cuba and India as an opportunity to not make a big deal about it. There's no win by getting upset, well, except for populist entertainment. Fact is, monkey pox probably is a more important problem for Cuba.

BTW, Ireland, Switzerland and Sweden took a pass on WW2.

What are the Miami Cubans saying?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sol Rosenberg

Girthy Member
Earth
Cuba has long standing ties to Russia. Same with India. But they're not sending aid to Russia. They're just checked out. It's not anywhere near as bad as Israel 'abstaining' and trying to be some sort of power broker, well, until we told them to fuck off.

We've seen Cuba and India as an opportunity to not make a big deal about it. There's no win by getting upset, well, except for populist entertainment. Fact is, monkey pox probably is a more important problem for Cuba.

BTW, Ireland, Switzerland and Sweden took a pass on WW2.

What are the Miami Cubans saying?
Communism is bad. Democrats are communist. Marco is good. 

Sol Rosenberg

Girthy Member
Earth
They just want to get by without pissing anyone off, I suspect. The CIA is always their boogeyman. All problems are due to the US…. They just want their people fed, housed and literate. And the people? My buddy at the Marina knows all about Putin’s war. He knows who the problem is but there isn’t shit he can do. My chick in Havana just wants to be able to go to work and keep a roof over her head. She does pretty well because she works in the private economy, but it’s still just getting by. People there are always hanging on by a thread. 

There are a few people there who get all the money, and they spread just enough of it around to keep the peace. They blame it all on the US and stay in control. 

The US has a slightly larger group that gets all the money, and they spread a little bit more of it around to keep the peace. They blame all the problems on communism and stay in control. 

Olsonist

Disgusting Liberal Elitist
New Oak City
Another comparison for Cuba would be the G20. Indonesia wants to invite Putin. Hell, France wants to sweep all this shit under the rug and get back to eating cheese. They even narrowly avoided electing a Shitstainian Putin bitch.

Last edited by a moderator:

Navig8tor

Super Anarchist
Another comparison for Cuba would be the G20. Indonesia wants to invite Putin. Hell, France wants to sweep all this shit under the rug and get back to eating cheese. They even narrowly avoided electing a Shitstainian Putin bitch.
And why France didn't elect a Shitstainian Putin bitch was because they saw how well that worked out in the USA.
Cuba has suffered too long at the hands of old school expats in Florida that were hellbent on reversing Castro, time marches on and we now know if you want to change things you don't penalize a country you invite them to join the party-Laissez Faire baby!

Sol Rosenberg

Girthy Member
Earth