What am I looking at in this pic of an X-Yacht?

2slow

Super Anarchist
Georgia
photo 38 under full specs, what is that?

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/boatMergedDetails.jsp?boat_id=2089622&ybw=&units=Feet&currency=USD&access=Public&listing_id=1797&url=

2089622_66.jpg

Nomenclature

Super Anarchist
Cloud 9
That's the 'Portal',

you go through it and you come out

on the other side...

and suddenly you are on a Wally 100 in the Med,

crewed by topless Super Models.

CowboyKell

Super Anarchist

[email protected]

President Eisenhowler

Super Anarchist
It's kind of cool because the amount of mechanical advantage changes as you pull on more backstay - I'm not sure what's in the innards - I think you are winding the primary line onto a cone or something like that.

Rain Man

Super Anarchist
Wet coast.
I had a similar POS backstay adjuster on my boat when I bought it. Getting rid of it and replacing with a standard multi-part purchase was the best thing I did. I was forever crawling into the transom to clear tangles when the rope fell off the drum.

Its a good idea, but it fails in the KISS department.

dash

Jambalaya

Super Anarchist
Hamble / Paris
First saw this on a X35 - struck me as a pain in the arse, something else to go wrong. What happens offshore if there is someone in the bunk or gear falls into it ?

SPORTSCAR

Super Anarchist
We have just completed a successful Winter Series here on an X-35 and have never had any problem with the backstay adjustment system. My wife trims main and adjusts the backstay with no problem at all - it's a clever system and it works very well. Agree it should have a protective cover of some sort if sailing offshore and sleeping in the stbd quarter berth - an easy fix with some sailcloth and velcro.

Latest posts