what boat is this?

Snarley

Super Anarchist
US
I think we agree on a Pacific Seacraft 31. I believe that this boat is a 2002 model year or later based on the aluminum toe rail.

According to Sailboatdata the PSC 31 was launched in 1987 and then discontinued at some point. It was then reintroduced in 2002. I can not find any examples with the aluminum rub rail prior to 2003.

So Pacific Seacraft 31, model year 2002 - ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Roleur

Super Anarchist
Orcas Island
I always wanted to like this boat. The quality, looks, and "bluewater" design are great, but everytime I looked at it closely and then compared it to the Valiant 32 that Bob drew, I could never see the point of the PSC 31. Bob's V32, especially the last few built in Texas, fulfill the same criteria in terms of quality and purpose, but the V32 is huge inside by comparison. You could say the same thing about the PSC 37 and Valiant 37 and the PSC 40 and Valiant 40. Otherwise very similar boats except the V's have a ton more room. PSC's are really quite tiny inside.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Rols:

I think if you had the chance to compare the actual hull lines of the Valiants to those of the Crealock PSC's you would see that the shapes are quite different.

Roleur

Super Anarchist
Orcas Island
Rols:

I think if you had the chance to compare the actual hull lines of the Valiants to those of the Crealock PSC's you would see that the shapes are quite different.
Sure, but to a buyer they "look" similar and they are built with the same type of sailing/cruising in mind. For that reason, I would think a lot of people would have both boats on their "list" if they are looking for that sort of boat.

Pretty sure each Valiant would sail circles around the similar sized PSC.

Soñadora

Super Anarchist
Some folks though get totally thrown off with canoe sterns. I would not be surprside if some nub would look at the PSCs (with canoe sterns) and wonder if it was one 'o them Hans Christans.

Soñadora

Super Anarchist
Just noticed our friend reis's posts...

I'm telling ya. If it walks like a duck and acts like a duck, it's gotta be a tard. We somehow concluded this guy wasn't danni boi but man, he sure demonstrates the same unstable psychosis of the least favorite nutjbo.

Snarley

Super Anarchist
US
OK I am very surprised. Because looking at both boats I do not see that big of a time difference for one time around the buoys. You guys were not kidding. It isn't even a race! The Valiant 32 owes the PSC 31 about 30 seconds in PHRF. But both are dated designs. I would love to see the PHRF number for 2012 design.

PSC put together a very nice boat. Those PSC 31's got a lot of interest from people on this and other forums. PSC needs some new designs because they definitely have a sought after quality.

I think PSC could really launch a good number of hulls with their main competition on the east coast being Island Packet. That is not going to happen with designs that a very dated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Snarley

Super Anarchist
US
Some folks though get totally thrown off with canoe sterns. I would not be surprside if some nub would look at the PSCs (with canoe sterns) and wonder if it was one 'o them Hans Christans.
Hans Christans did a very good job of persuading people that a canoe stern was not for them. On the US East Coast and many atlantic ports in Europe the Hans Christan was the new canoe stern boat that we saw in the 70's and 80's. As a kid I called the local HC the "Pirate" boat. It was slow, had a strange underbody and just looked like it sailed out of a pirate movie. I think this is a major reason why today we are not seeing many new efforts for canoe sterns in the atlantic. It was not until I read the posts on SA that I began to even look into canoe stern boats. I really do not think it is just nubs but a lot of people were turned off and it is hard to change perceptions.

born2sail

Super Anarchist
I have more than a little experience sailing on a Dana, HC 38, PSC 34, PSC 37 and PSC 44. IMHO, the PSC 44 is at least tied as the best cruising boat ever made. The Dana is more fun than you can imagine and the HC 38 with the Pullman berth has one of the best cabin layouts around. Dollar for dollar, a "stock" PSC 34 with no bells and whistles is the perfect "starter" boat for anybody wanting to begin some serious cruising. For probably some very good reasons, of the many good boats out there, PSC 37 in its many configs might be the most common cruiser around the Pacific rim...meaning you're likely to find at least one in just about every popular marina or on the various cruiser nets.

As an aside, Monitor has really perfected the their wind vane for the various PSC designs...especially the 44 cutter...

Latest posts