What brands from the 70s/80s would you resurrect?

Maxx Baqustae

Super Anarchist
Canadian Southwest
Surfers had a big influence on the ski scene in the 70's...

1af8105c6ae0ec220952c5ec8db6ba0c.jpg

d643501c4ef0d1d3088b27d9ea9ca716.jpg
Wholly phuquolly! Are those Durafiber XR2 skis in the right shot???. Wow!!!

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
For the cat rig I suspect the wishbones would be better - from my book learnin' anyway.

I was wondering if any had been conventionally rigged - sloop or cutter.
I've sailed a couple of big Nonsuches with wishbooms. I would much prefer the newer rig.

If you're locked in to pre-1970s technology, then they're probably the best thing going

Some would dislike the combination of stack pack and full battens, and it's true that you have to learn the quirks of how to hoist & lower without getting the lazyjacks wrapped around the battens. But you can get much better, much longer lasting, sails that are bigger, more powerful, and at least no more difficult to handle with the potential of being much easier. I've never sailed a Chinese junk rig with anybody who was expert enough to make it look easier (or their expertise was in making it into a flaming PITA while going slow). IMHO the solid vang, stack-pack, full-batten combination is the more functional equivalent of what the junk rig is often claimed to be.

FB- Doug

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
I found with lazyjacks that clipping them to the mast before raising the sail worked best.

Deploying them before dropping the sail never caused any hangups for me.

Tanton Y_M

Super Anarchist
Newport R.I
SloopJonB.

Here is the Cutter Pilothouse version.

Besides the Sail Plan and the carbon free-standing masts, the difference is in the keel with 12" more draft for the cutter to take account of the increased weight of the rig.

11143573_1059108100774330_345542022973214417_n.jpg

Maxx Baqustae

Super Anarchist
Canadian Southwest
Now that's a blast from the past! We used to have this poster  when I was a kid. We didn't really know who he was, but we sure thought Wong was cool. View attachment 297241

I always thought these red white and blue K2s were classic. We had another poster of the same skis featuring Spider Sabich.
Looks like Wayne was about to do a "Wong Banger". Didn't know him really as he was on Mt. Seymour where I was on Grouse Mt. Did ski with his brother Mik Wong though.  I lived near the base of Grouse near Edgemont Village. After school, we would go up Grouse and night ski until close at 10PM. 7 days a week most of the time between opening in Dec 1 or so to 3rd week of April. Then people stopped coming up as they had better things to do. I actually skied home a few times as the roads from the base of the mountain was unpassable when it snowed in town.

But I digress: I was a K2 guy myself. Several pairs "Winterheat" K2's and a pair of "Bermuda Shorts" for ballet. I got sponsored by Durafiber with a selection of skis as I became a "carded" pro until retiring in my early 20's. There wasn't much money being a pro in those days unless you would podium all the time. Me? Rated 5th in the world at my last pro contest. I was full into racing sailboats by that time too.

I was talking to brother DA-WOODY on Wastebook - this was our backyard:

47688977_614818505603735_3924690438765674496_n.jpg

46745853_23843076951130569_1444463429392793600_n.png.jpg

IStream

Super Anarchist
For the cat rig I suspect the wishbones would be better - from my book learnin' anyway.

I was wondering if any had been conventionally rigged - sloop or cutter.
There are two Tanton 43s on my dock. Hull #1 is stayless and may be on her way to Mexico shortly (possibly heading upwind at 60mph). The other has a stayed cutter rig. She's heading to the big water in a few years too.

IStream

Super Anarchist
SloopJonB.

Here is the Cutter Pilothouse version.

Besides the Sail Plan and the carbon free-standing masts, the difference is in the keel with 12" more draft for the cutter to take account of the increased weight of the rig.

View attachment 297260
A pilothouse with unstayed masts and a sugarscoop would be the ideal 3 season boat in the PNW. I know that if you have to ask, etc., but what would it take to make it a reality?

Maxx Baqustae

Super Anarchist
Canadian Southwest
Speaking of beloved 70s brands... let's bring back Hexcel skis!  Had several pairs, and  they were always great, right up until the core failed....
Good ole' Hexcel! And I was going to say about with the core. In our repair shop on the hill we saw a few of those get flattened. One them had a failure of the side walls and became a trapezoidal shape. Pretty funny actually. I think there was ski maker that alleviated the problem using foam into the honeycomb. Century skis or something?       

Last edited by a moderator:

10thTonner

Hazard to Navigation
South of Spandau
I was a Renntiger guy myself but I don't know if that is something to brag or to be embarassed about.

As an adult I moved on to Rossignol. Luckily, they're still alive, although you'll have to search around a little.

Maxx Baqustae

Super Anarchist
Canadian Southwest
dunno.  I remember Graves made skis (for a short while) of fiberglass over a foam core.  Never tried a pair, but I'm told they were ridiculously springy.
Ya, I tried Graves too. I'm not a big guy so I found them pretty springy too. Bloody bulletproof though. The big downhillers with Lange boots loved them.

Maxx Baqustae

Super Anarchist
Canadian Southwest
Vuarnet sunglasses huh? We'd always lose them out sailing. Friggin' expensive to lose. We started to get the Chinese knock off's on the market. People would say: Are those "Vuarnet's" I'd reply: "No - these are Phunet's" .

Latest posts