What cat would be a good step up from the Wave?

βhyde

Super Anarchist
Beside Myself
No Wetas here. Fellows lake. Not a great sailing venue, but opinions vary on that. :)

Hopefully, I will be sailing the Weta somewhere else.
Nice little lake. Looks like an hour drive down 65 gets you to Table Rock or you can go up to Stockton if you need some more water to play in. Take a small tent and a cooler and do some sail camping. Big fun.

Never

Nice little lake. Looks like an hour drive down 65 gets you to Table Rock or you can go up to Stockton if you need some more water to play in. Take a small tent and a cooler and do some sail camping. Big fun.
Table Rock has lots of motorboats. Stockton is not bad, but as far as I know no rentals there.

I rented the Wave in NJ. Big difference.

Fat Point Jack

Super Anarchist
40 years ago, Me & Kevin !RIP! went down to a reservoir lake in central Indiana with the Hobie 16 after working midnights. While we were setting up, Mr. Green Jeans walked by and said, "That's a nice coupla' boats Ya got there".

MultiThom

Super Anarchist
Benicia, CA
40 years ago, Me & Kevin !RIP! went down to a reservoir lake in central Indiana with the Hobie 16 after working midnights. While we were setting up, Mr. Green Jeans walked by and said, "That's a nice coupla' boats Ya got there".
Seriously, this guy?
Screenshot 2022-11-22 18.07.05.png

SolGato

I wouldn’t write the Hobie Wave off if you haven’t yet sailed one with a Jib.

There’s a lot you can do with them to make them really fun and responsive if you ever find yourself owning or having the opportunity to own one.

With the mast raked back, tillers cut down, and the rig properly tuned for wind conditions, they can be a real blast single-hand and so simple to operate and control.

Once you get those hulls up out of the water with only the low aspect keel and boards below, the big buoyant hulls act Ike bouncy balls in chop and mild swell as the boat skips across the water.

Fun to surf them too!

MultiThom

Super Anarchist
Benicia, CA
I wouldn’t write the Hobie Wave off if you haven’t yet sailed one with a Jib.

There’s a lot you can do with them to make them really fun and responsive if you ever find yourself owning or having the opportunity to own one.

With the mast raked back, tillers cut down, and the rig properly tuned for wind conditions, they can be a real blast single-hand and so simple to operate and control.

Once you get those hulls up out of the water with only the low aspect keel and boards below, the big buoyant hulls act Ike bouncy balls in chop and mild swell as the boat skips across the water.

Fun to surf them too!
Yah, Waves are fun in good wind-and a jib helps (there's a local guy I watch). But OPs complaint was Lasers pass him in light wind. Not sure, actually, if a weta will be faster than a Laser in light wind. Lasers are nice light wind boats and folks who sail them tend to be pretty good at it.

Crooked Beat

A family at my club is looking at the NACRA 460.
They noticed that there is not a dolphin striker across and below the front beam.
Is this a concern?

They will have about 380 pounds aboard.

SolGato

Yah, Waves are fun in good wind-and a jib helps (there's a local guy I watch). But OPs complaint was Lasers pass him in light wind. Not sure, actually, if a weta will be faster than a Laser in light wind. Lasers are nice light wind boats and folks who sail them tend to be pretty good at it.

Actually he mentioned Lasers pass him in all conditions which made me wonder if the Waves he has rented are well rigged/setup, and if they even had a Jib.

The other Cats he asked about all have head sails, and how you rig and setup a Wave makes a huge difference in how they perform.

Regardless of having a Jib, it still takes a bit of work and know how to get Waves to perform at their peak, and they have to be setup for the particular conditions of the day to get the most out of them.

I posted mainly because I think most people write them off as beginner/family boats, but you can Hot Rod them with a few tricks and for the money of what they sell for used, you’d be well ahead of comparable newer boats that are harder to find used because so few have sold.

This is all coming from a single-hand bang for your buck perspective of course.

martin 'hoff

Super Anarchist
Miami
A family at my club is looking at the NACRA 460.
They noticed that there is not a dolphin striker across and below the front beam.
Is this a concern?

They will have about 380 pounds aboard.
IMHO, only a concern if you put the 380 pounds on trapeze wires in big weather conditions. Crew weight on the trapezes will bear down on the middle of the front beam.