What companies sponsor sailing in the USA?

I want a list, please. Big or small, local or national, the only criteria is that their marketing dollars go towards sailing events that are basically US in origin. I want to spend my money on companies that support my sport. Please include an event you know they contributed to.

• Oracle (Americas Cup)
  • SAP (505 Worlds)
  • Thomson-Reuters (Stamford-Vineyard)
  • Mount Gay Rum (everything?)

Only a year in and Ballard Sails is doing their darndest in the Seattle area - not only through YC and race parties at their loft, but donating to races and supporting an online sailing info site. Ballard Sails - Yah sure, Ya Betcha!

left hook

Super Anarchist
The first companies that come to mind are Heinekin, BMW, Nautica, Bacardi and Sperry. Obviously there are many many more.

The first companies that come to mind are Heinekin, BMW, Nautica, Bacardi and Sperry. Obviously there are many many more.
I don't count The Heinekin Regatta on St Maarten, since that's not a US protectorate. What else do they sponsor? Also, does BMW sponsor racing separately from its (now defunct, as I understood) relationship with Oracle?

garyedelman

Anarchist
Depends what you mean by sponsorship-

Companies like Harken provide limited

dollars for regattas, but have supplied

trophies, swag, etc. Local dealers have

been doing the same for years. Manufacturers

have sponsored parties at regattas, purchased

trophies, skipper bags/packets, etc. And

materials companies have also done this.

For instance, a major sponsor of the Beneteau

36.7 NAs when they were held at Buffalo was

the company that made the fiberglass Beneteau

used to build the boats.

Depends what you mean by sponsorship-

Companies like Harken provide limited

dollars for regattas, but have supplied

trophies, swag, etc. Local dealers have

been doing the same for years. Manufacturers

have sponsored parties at regattas, purchased

trophies, skipper bags/packets, etc. And

materials companies have also done this.

For instance, a major sponsor of the Beneteau

36.7 NAs when they were held at Buffalo was

the company that made the fiberglass Beneteau

used to build the boats.
Fair enough.

I mean companies that are not directly involved in the business, such as Harken, North, that are spending money on sailing events to bring awareness to their products through the exposure of being associated with sailing.

Sponsoring an event to say thanks for building your boats out of the sponsoree's raw material is a classy thing to do, but not really what I mean.

I'd have thought that Alpha Graphics sponsoring the US Sailing Team would have been an obvious one.
Not really.
WTF do you mean, "Not Really"?

The main title sponsor for our Olympic aspirants and you reply with "Not Really"!
You're right, we should all know that Alpha is the main sponsor. But the Olympics are another universe to a schmuck like me - I'm just another spectator in that world. It's the Olympics first, and sailing second. Lame excuse, but there you go.

garyedelman

Anarchist
Ok, if you're not looking for sailing

related sponsors, or raw materials

suppliers, how about HP which was the

first big sponsor of what was then America

One (later BMW/Oracle). Zip Lock a while

ago sponsored "The Ultimate Yacht Race"

series. SAIC the defense contractor/

aerospace firm underwrote a bunch of

America's Cup research costs, and had

Eric Schlageter on staff working on this

stuff.

Locally, you'll find a lot of companies

pitch in. The Lexus dealer in Clearwater

area used to sponsor a couple of Midwinter

events. I could go look at a bunch of old

NA T shirts from various classes which all

had sponsor logos from local beer/liquor

companies, and I remember even a local

heating oil company.

WHK

Super Anarchist
Newport, RI
Here are some companies that sponsored J/30 Class national events and local New England events ($ and / or swag, or free products (e.g. the kegs and barrels) dating back to 2008....

Sailing Anarchy

West Marine

Hall Spars

Mack Boring

Newport Storm & Thomas Tew Rum

Ipswich Ale

North Sails

Quantum Sails

Sailfast Apparel

Biba Water

Sailflow

Atlantis Weather Gear

Layline

Blount Seafood

Spectrum Photo

Comcast

bowgeezer

The Puma Brand is a German company that has stepped in big time in the Volvo Race with sponsorship and a line of clothing and footware to support their efforts. Like most global "Brands" like Mt. Gay Rum (actually a Barbados distillery distributed in the US by the branch by a French company Remy)it is hard to call them a US company although they have a US based sales and marketing presence.

Finding a Fortune 500 Brand or Company that actively seeks out the US competitive sailing market as a brand building initiative is akin to finding the same names at an Ultimate Frisbee tournament. And the more that sailing as a sport ventures away from Park Avenue (read "Yacht Racing")and gravitates towards mainstreet (Joe Six-Pack racing, crash and burn, Extreme sailing) the harder it will be to pull in premium brands to the sport. And to attract mainstream support for the likes of Coke, Pepsi, Budweiser and Walmart will have Sailing competing with the already overcrowded number of sports that seeks sponsorship, and will be no better situated than Professional Lacrosse or the aforementioned Frisbee competitions because it isn't really that big a spectator draw.

I'm actually surprised that Insurance Companies like Geico, Progressive, and Travellers haven't been brought into the sailing mix. They've got huge advertising budgets and the yachties have a myriad of toys and housing that need insurance protection. Perhaps they shy away from the liability aspect of putting their name on the masthead of a big regatta..Deep pockets and all that..

Matt Baldwin

The Puma Brand is a German company that has stepped in big time in the Volvo Race with sponsorship and a line of clothing and footware to support their efforts. Like most global "Brands" like Mt. Gay Rum (actually a Barbados distillery distributed in the US by the branch by a French company Remy)it is hard to call them a US company although they have a US based sales and marketing presence.

Finding a Fortune 500 Brand or Company that actively seeks out the US competitive sailing market as a brand building initiative is akin to finding the same names at an Ultimate Frisbee tournament. And the more that sailing as a sport ventures away from Park Avenue (read "Yacht Racing")and gravitates towards mainstreet (Joe Six-Pack racing, crash and burn, Extreme sailing) the harder it will be to pull in premium brands to the sport. And to attract mainstream support for the likes of Coke, Pepsi, Budweiser and Walmart will have Sailing competing with the already overcrowded number of sports that seeks sponsorship, and will be no better situated than Professional Lacrosse or the aforementioned Frisbee competitions because it isn't really that big a spectator draw.

I'm actually surprised that Insurance Companies like Geico, Progressive, and Travellers haven't been brought into the sailing mix. They've got huge advertising budgets and the yachties have a myriad of toys and housing that need insurance protection. Perhaps they shy away from the liability aspect of putting their name on the masthead of a big regatta..Deep pockets and all that..

Miss Geico Racing

Coupla points - first, I don't care if the company is American or not, just that they put their money into my sport in my country. Second, if your logic about going downmarket is sound, then Nascar should be holding out its hand, and vintage racing would be sponsored by Budweiser. I hope you're wrong.

Acura sponsored KWRW for a while

Heineken sponsors the storm trysail intercollegiate regatta

Patagonia sponsors college sailing through awesome deals on their gear.

i dont know any others off the top of my head that havent already been mentioned. those might have been mentioned already too and i missed it, oh well.

echo

Super Anarchist
charlotte , nc
Check out the CRW website. Big list, both local and national.

When I ran sponsorhip for a local regatta I got

Print media; free ads in the local entertainment rag.

Radio;, free ads.

Hooters; food and the girls to hand out door prizes.

Clothing and sailing/boating gear companies.

The Budweiser beer distributor; keg trailer.

Coke/Minute Maid for soft drinks.

It was easy back in the lustful 80's...

Latest posts