What do you use to store and playback music?

Quickstep192

Anarchist
Chesapeake
I just realized that I inadvertently became a music Luddite.

I used to rip CDs and keep them on an MP3 app in my phone, then I starting using Amazon Music that’s free with Amazon Prime.

Now I find myself interested in music that’s either not available on the free Amazon Prime Music app or in some cases, music that’s not available on Amazon Music Unlimited.

I’d like to find a solution that lets me buy music either by download or CD and store it on my phone or computer without being tied to Apple or Amazon.

What are others doing?

sunseeker

Super Anarchist
Apple Music $120 a year. 90 million songs. Curated playlists. “Radio Stations” by genre. I can stream and/or download them from/to any device. It was a no brainer for me.
I have my three kids on a family plan with Apple +, or whatever the combo of music tv and storage is called. It’s been an interesting evolution when they add music which started when the oldest begged me to add Hannah Montana. They are all now late teens, and it’s interesting to hear what they say when they get into some of my music. Youngest son was into serious headbanger stuff for a while. asked him if he ever heard of Uriah Heap. The reaction was priceless “dad, how do you know about them?” My young dude, I’ve been listening to them since the early ‘70’s. He had no idea they were that old. It was actually an interesting bonding moment. My daughter has taken a liking to Fleetwood Mac. For us, Apple works great, and when you are in their ecosystem everything just works. While other services have spacial audio, the new Apple headphones are amazing with spacial audio. It seems a bit weird to pay a monthly subscription for music, but the $20 a month is less than I’d be spending if I was buying CD’s or vinyl (though I’m probably going to start a vinyl habit again soon).

giegs

Anarchist
Arid
Depending on how involved you want to get, setting up a Plex server might be worth looking into.

I don't like having a bunch of different ecosystems to deal with, especially when they don't let me have local files.

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
Mostly I use my mind.
I used to have a fairly large collection of Vinyl LPs, CDs, and even Cassette tapes. I got rid of them all when I moved, except for one CD that was inside the Bose Wave machine, that I was unaware of.
I have songs that get stuck in my mind, and play over and over again, especially if I'm trying to fall asleep.
Right now it's "Dreadlock Holiday" by 10CC and "Night shift" by Jon Pardi.

Snaggletooth

Morrelle Compasse
I haive that on Snatche sondtrack, love it. Jumbalaya hase beene rattelling aronde in my heade foire aboute to weekes nowe........ :)

Not for nothing

Super Anarchist
jupiter
When we moved, I boxed an old CD player, my wife wanted to hear some of our old CD " when music was good"
last night she hooked it and we were listening to the Eagles, Stevie Nicks and others
Today Cars don't even have CD players,

yoyo

Anarchist
mp3's ripped from cd's or dl from Amazon can be put on microSD card and installed on a cheap tablet. Playback via Bluetooth. Most apps will allow you to make playlists, see album art, etc.

I know a bunch of Spotify users that love the service and can dl songs for offline playback. I don't want another monthly subscription so I'm content with the tablet setup and on occasion free pandora.

h20man

Anarchy Organiser
ocean
Depending on how involved you want to get, setting up a Plex server might be worth looking into.

I don't like having a bunch of different ecosystems to deal with, especially when they don't let me have local files.

Plex requires internet to function. Emby can run concurrently on the same server and shall work without internet... So great for a boat as well.

Also works for ripped Video...

if you are moving music/video from youtube check out yt-dlp a command line program that works on windows, mac-OS and linux, that can rip video and audio (without adverts) from youtube.... or even video streaming services....

Grrr...

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰ 100%
Detroit
I liked pandora. Then I tried to download a list of all the songs I had thumbed up. Nope. They don't allow it because they don't want to make it so you can easily leave their service.

That kind of anti consumer bullshit pisses me off. I won't use them now.

DarthSailor

Super Anarchist
I use amazon that's free with prime, I have built a playlist of about 700 songs that I like enough to listen to more than once in a couple weeks. I play it on random when I drive/commute I can usually go a week before it repeats, my wife works at home and we have a Sirius radio for her office as she has a number of folks she likes to listen to during the day talk shows mostly. I use the Sirius app through my phone when I want something besides my playlist. I usually listen to a book via audible on the way home from work, travel time 45 mins to an hour.

Point Break

Super Anarchist
Long Beach, California
I liked pandora. Then I tried to download a list of all the songs I had thumbed up. Nope. They don't allow it because they don't want to make it so you can easily leave their service.

That kind of anti consumer bullshit pisses me off. I won't use them now.
That’s one thing I like about Apple Music. I can download all I like. Somehow……if I leave, the downloaded songs won’t play. I have no idea how but I’m not leaving so I don’t worry.

PurpleOnion

Anarchist
New York, NY
Luddite status has it's benefits. Namely you actually own/possess what you've paid for and don't have to keep paying or worry about it being removed from streaming service. You also do not require internet for playback.

I have all music (and most DVD, Blu-ray) ripped or MP3s saved and stored on a NAS. The files are synched to my phone and accessible to tablets and computers in the house. Plex runs on the NAS and can serve video and audio to those that want the nicer interface. Chromecast audio devices with optical interface connect to old school ampliers. Stream from phone/tablet/computer to Chromecast.

That said, I'm the only one who uses most of it regularly. The kid uses YouTube and plays via Bluetooth to the amplifier or, more irritatingly, through the tablet or Chromebook speakers.

The point of the above missive is that there are benefits to owning and maintaining your own stuff. Just don't expect people younger than you to use it.

Reactions: Mid

Grrr...

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰ 100%
Detroit
Luddite status has it's benefits. Namely you actually own/possess what you've paid for and don't have to keep paying or worry about it being removed from streaming service. You also do not require internet for playback.

I have all music (and most DVD, Blu-ray) ripped or MP3s saved and stored on a NAS. The files are synched to my phone and accessible to tablets and computers in the house. Plex runs on the NAS and can serve video and audio to those that want the nicer interface. Chromecast audio devices with optical interface connect to old school ampliers. Stream from phone/tablet/computer to Chromecast.

That said, I'm the only one who uses most of it regularly. The kid uses YouTube and plays via Bluetooth to the amplifier or, more irritatingly, through the tablet or Chromebook speakers.

The point of the above missive is that there are benefits to owning and maintaining your own stuff. Just don't expect people younger than you to use it.

I do the same. I have a NAS as well. My problem lies in that I DO listen to quite a bit online, and I'd like to own what I've listened to. However, for instance - I've paid for pandora now for 15 years ish. I have some insane number of 'thumbs up' and I want to get that list to permanently purchase the music.

But they won't let you.

Yet another form of platform lock-in. Even services that claim to be able to export the list of songs from pandora can't do it.

kgs113

I most often listen to a radio station out of New Orleans. Public radio music only. Jazz, blues, Caribbean, Reggae, Cajun and Zydeco and more. They archive the shows for 2 weeks. I stumbled across this station a couple of years ago just before Mardi Gras when they were playing all Mardi Gras band music. I have Audacity(Paid version) and can record entire shows and rip them to MP3s. And I support the station financially