What gets rid of unwanted phone calls?

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
Phone rings. Answer it? I'm on call to save the world but I've been fooled before. You and I know what's coming but I've already bought the extended warranty, supplemental health coverage, pills to make my dick hard for several hours, blood thinners, and whatever it was Joe Namath hawks cuz Broadway Joe wouldn't fuck a fan, amirite?

I started like everyone, innocently answering when on call. It occurred to me that the act of answering indicates a valid phone number saleable to spammers, so I began not answering and did that weird thing with my finger swiping the screen downward, and damn! it disappears the call. Then I began to wonder if the immediate turndown by me is itself a signal that mine is a valid number.

Now, a ringing phone causes much angst. What to do?

I also wonder how many of you prefer Rocna over other new-fangled anchors in spite of their poor showing in Steve's tests?

130lights

Super Anarchist
Lake Michigan
Check out your phone. I have mine set up so that all unknown, not in my contact list, automatically go to voicemail and the phone never rings. Most of the trash calls don’t leave messages.

Reactions: Mid

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
Check out your phone. I have mine set up so that all unknown, not in my contact list, automatically go to voicemail and the phone never rings. Most of the trash calls don’t leave messages.
Thanks, will try to find online manual. Nutin much in "User Guide," and half of it is in Spanish!

mikewof

mikewof
Simplest solution.

Change your phone number to an area code where you know nobody and nobody knows you. For instance Fairbanks, Alaska, or Davenport, Iowa. Pocatello, Idaho, or Cherokee, South Carolina.

90% of spam call systems will either use a generic area code (like 888, 800, et al.) or else they will match the send number to your receiving number. When you see the ocean of calls coming from Fairbanks, Davenport, Pocatello or Cherokee, you will know that it is someone with whom you have no need to speak.

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
I read an article, back before cell phones, where golfer Fred Couples said if he doesn't feel like talking on the phone he doesn't answer it. It was then I knew there were two of us in the world.

Today I only answer the phone when it's someone I know, or when I'm in the mood to fuck with a telemarketer. All unknown numbers that leave no message get blocked. Silence is golden.

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
When you see the ocean of calls coming from Fairbanks, Davenport, Pocatello or Cherokee, you will know that it is someone with whom you have no need to speak.
Funny, you named four of the cities with outstanding warrants against me. What else ya got? My old, lost, Samsung gave you the option block on each call. Moto doesn't.
eta: That isn't true. I can block after the fact, and have, but the Samsung was more convenient to block as the call was coming in.

Last edited:

mikewof

mikewof
Funny, you named four of the cities with outstanding warrants against me. What else ya got? My old, lost, Samsung gave you the option block on each call. Moto doesn't.
eta: That isn't true. I can block after the fact, and have, but the Samsung was more convenient to block as the call was coming in.

If we don't have the luxury of @Jules or Fred Couples to ignore phone calls due to a handful of business calls each day, I've found the obscure area code to be the biggest time saver yet. If you don't have the cujones to change your number and you have to rely on electronic countermeasures, then best of luck ... if a human built it, a human can defeat it.

My current phone is the Samsung, as were my previous three, they block sufficiently well, but most of these numbers are burners and the any half-decent marketer will rarely use the same phone number twice on the same person.

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
I get about 3 spam calls a month.
I answer: "Office of the superior court of Florida. How may I help you?" and 99% of the time they hang up.
the other 1% are pre-recorded messages telling me that the warranty on my 20 y/o truck is about to expire....

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
I read an article, back before cell phones, where golfer Fred Couples said if he doesn't feel like talking on the phone he doesn't answer it. It was then I knew there were two of us in the world.

Today I only answer the phone when it's someone I know, or when I'm in the mood to fuck with a telemarketer. All unknown numbers that leave no message get blocked. Silence is golden.
There are at least three.

I've never understood people who can't ignore a ringing phone - to most people they seem as irresistible as a crying baby to a new mother.

I have always been able to ignore a ringing phone and I've never had a single negative experience or consequence as a result.

If it matters they'll leave a message.

130lights

Super Anarchist
Lake Michigan

I've never understood people who can't ignore a ringing phone - to most people they seem as irresistible as a crying baby to a new mother.

I have always been able to ignore a ringing phone and I've never had a single negative experience or consequence as a result.

+ 1

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River

As much as I'd like to punch anyone who actually did this in the throat..... I always thought that the best ring tone would be a squealing, bawling baby.
People who ignore their damned phones playing goddamn movie sound tracks while wandering aimlessly around the supermarket, gazing vapidly at the rows and rows of canned vegetables in June, are very lucky that I'm no longer fleet of foot.

Mirror16

Tennessee
Just get rid of your phone. Email and internet access and television too. Until 1963 our household relied upon radio and newspapers for news and all communications were on paper delivered by the postal service. No phone or TV. You should consider returning to those halcyon ways of the past.

Latest posts