What happened to the Open 5.70?

Varan

Super Anarchist
Jerome is why they are in the US, then came marriage and kids, with no one really to pick up the slack. Classes need a champion. Take the viper 640 for example. Great boat that died a way too early death, only to be revived by active class members onto a thriving OD.

Streetwise

Super Anarchist
Lake Champlain
We had an Open 5.70 and Open 5.00 on Lake Champlain briefly.

I convinced the 5.00 to race with our nascent sportboat fleet for a bit, but it got sold to someone in Colorado.

I tried to get the local Open 5.70 owner, (one of the dealer.com founders), to join our sportboat fleet, but he didn’t. I don’t know where that boat ended up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steveromagnino

Super Anarchist
always thought they were a cool boat but needs decent breeze with that conservative sail area + small flat kite; a good starter boat and big breeze boat, the twin rudder set up probably is a bit of a safety margin as well vs. a single.  Coming from France and in that era they probably were ideal for colder water places or juniors/ less crew/experience along the lines of the seascape and the like.  Rather than the slightly bigger Thompson, Shaw, etc sportsboats out of NZ or M24s etc with the bigger masthead kites and such which are wetter and faster but maybe might be a bit much for ppl moving down from keelboats.  The bigger version the 750 looked like the real deal; light weight and sex on water.  The 650 was just a scaled up 570 AFAIK but the 750 was lighter, more powered up and of course, needed much more crew (5 from memory).

One of my new boats is roughly similar to a 570, marginally shorter, a lot lighter, smaller bulb and a masthead kite, similar simple rig and a small bubble cabin to take stuff out and the cat on the boat; so I'm a fan of the idea of a 2 person easy sailing simple boat that can do a bit more for non sailors to go out for a spin etc + fishing, sleep overnight etc in the cockpit.  The open 570 some guy on the other coast put a masthead on it which seemed to address a lot of the issues speed wise, as the fun of these boats is downwind planing.  Not sure that Jerome guy was a fan though from what I remember of that time.

beercanned

'fornia
some guy on the other coast put a masthead
A couple of 5.70s have tried that. 

The boat planes a little earlier with a masthead kite, (but also overpowers earlier), and it needs runners to keep the mast safe, which really over-complicates the boat. 

If you want a masthead kite, you pick a boat with a backstay and without a fathead main.

Steveromagnino

Super Anarchist
A couple of 5.70s have tried that. 

The boat planes a little earlier with a masthead kite, (but also overpowers earlier), and it needs runners to keep the mast safe, which really over-complicates the boat. 

If you want a masthead kite, you pick a boat with a backstay and without a fathead main.
this is what I meant - a similar boat set up with a masthead kite; just needs a different mast in it maybe.  And a slightly longer prod.  THis is short relative to the 650.  Definitely would plane up earlier than the smaller fractional kite.  #kiwisstyle

beercanned

'fornia
Yeah.  I hear you.  You can always optimize a boat for given conditions.

We have ten Open 5.70s in our boat park, which is a nice little one-design fleet.     Our summer afternoon breeze is regularly 18-25 kts and we're flying our frac kites when others don't hoist.

They work well for our local conditions

No different than most any other boat you'd buy.  What kind of support would the manufacturer supply?   The rig is still available and so is all of the hardware put on it.
I agree with this. The best support is active racing fleets and class association. Somebody always has parts, and knows how to deal with the usual issues.

There are many boats that haven't been built for decades, that still have active fleets. Some fleets die, then get resurrected as people start resuscitating old, cheap, unused boats. Coronado 15? O'Day Daysailer? Many others too.

Back to the 5.70 - I always thought it was a cool boat, simple and easy, able to be singlehanded, great for casual sailing, great for windy venues. But for me, prices would have to drop way, way below a Viper or VX, which have much better racing fleets. OTOH I'd rather have it for non-racing than a Thistle or Lightning.

Varan

Super Anarchist
Sooo...  how about 570 owners get together and commission a OD carbon spar capable of a mast head kite with synthetic rigging?

I'm in.

Blether

ive heard that 5.70 has terrible keel vibrations, how do you deal with that?
I took this photo when I had a wooden form in place because I was repairing the aft keel-bolt hole, but it shows my solution for keel fit in the casing:

(Upper) 2mm Delrin, (lower) 2.5mm Delrin; combined with industrial plastic shims that came in 0.2, 0.1, 0.05mm thicknesses. IIRC I ended up on my boat with (upper) 2.75mm total each side; (lower) 2.95mm each side. Countersunk aluminum self-tappers.

Fudge.jpg