What is considered running a "Good Program"?

stayoutofthemiddle

Super Anarchist
Chicago
Curious on thoughts around running a "good program"....

1. The Boat: Is it reasonable to assume anyone who is putting effort into a "good program" maintains their boat to a suitable level? Lines refreshed, sails competitive, bottom in good shape? How about the boat type? OD vs. a mismatched PHRF toy?

2. The Crew: If the owner puts the effort in to have a good boat, is the expectation to have good crew? I'm not necessarily talking about pros, but crew than can or have done all positions bow to stern and have some small boat history such as high school or college. Roll tacks, boat weight placement, and sail trim are second nature instead of walking around the rum party in a Mount Gay hat introducing yourself as the "Guy Trimmer".

Chicken and Egg discussion or perhaps good boats begat good crew? 

Last edited by a moderator:

Matagi

Ambassador of the Republic of R'lyeh
'Good' is always subjective.

Depends on the goals YOU set out, don't let outsiders define it.

Can be measured in silver won, laughs had or beer drunk.

Rare to excel in all categories at the same time, though.

stayoutofthemiddle

Super Anarchist
Chicago
'Good' is always subjective.

Depends on the goals YOU set out, don't let outsiders define it.

Can be measured in silver won, laughs had or beer drunk.

Rare to excel in all categories at the same time, though.
Well put. Your last statement is definitely true. 

SailRacer

Super Anarchist
Overall, it depends on your goals.

It is nice to be on a well prepped boat with all the fancy stuff BUT it is also good to be on a beater that has potential to kick butt.

Owners need to proclaim early on what type of program they plan to run and advise any expectations up front.

I also thing that it is important to have at least one JR. sailor on board for EVERY race.

Sail Safe!! 

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
Many years ago I realized I had 3 things I wanted in a sailboat race

1. Have fun

2. Be competitive

3. Learn something

Has served me well

JoeO

Super Anarchist
Chicago
The smart-ass answer is a good program achieves 75-80% of its goals,  a great program achieves 95+% of its goals, while a mediocre program achieves 50% or less of it's goals. Kind of like employees....

As others have said, the context/criteria are provioded by what the specific goals are...

stayoutofthemiddle

Super Anarchist
Chicago
The smart-ass answer is a good program achieves 75-80% of its goals,  a great program achieves 95+% of its goals, while a mediocre program achieves 50% or less of it's goals. Kind of like employees....

As others have said, the context/criteria are provioded by what the specific goals are...
Why do so many "beer" programs proclaim they are hard core racers then and surprised when they don't do well?! Beers on the dock in the morning or between races. Old rags, full fuel tanks, ect...

ctutmark

Super Anarchist
PNW
Why do so many "beer" programs proclaim they are hard core racers then and surprised when they don't do well?! Beers on the dock in the morning or between races. Old rags, full fuel tanks, ect...
This gets back to the matter of having honest goals. For some, spending a day on the water with their buddies is the win and this is fine but that is not always the same thing as doing well on the race course

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
Curious on thoughts around running a "good program"....

1. The Boat: Is it reasonable to assume anyone who is putting effort into a "good program" maintains their boat to a suitable level? Lines refreshed, sails competitive, bottom in good shape? How about the boat type? OD vs. a mismatched PHRF toy?

2. The Crew: If the owner puts the effort in to have a good boat, is the expectation to have good crew? I'm not necessarily talking about pros, but crew than can or have done all positions bow to stern and have some small boat history such as high school or college. Roll tacks, boat weight placement, and sail trim are second nature instead of walking around the rum party in a Mount Gay hat introducing yourself as the "Guy Trimmer".

Chicken and Egg discussion or perhaps good boats begat good crew? 
At club level the best program is the team who has the most fun 

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
Not sure some would agree. At the club level the egos are sometimes the biggest, misguided as they might be. Lot's of Wednesday Night experts! 
We've got a few like this in Mass Bay. Boats that think they're better than they are just because they've been racing against and beating the same people for the last 30 years. The really good boats in my area are a good balance of boat prep and good crews who go out and do their thing. They're quiet about it, they're humble in victory and gracious in defeat. They sail with skippers that trust them to do their jobs, and they trust the skippers/owners to bring a boat that isn't falling apart. 

climenuts

Anarchist
PNW
Having fun and achieving goals are the most important factors for a club program IMHO.

Little goals that are easily checked off to reach a long term vision are important and make everyone feel valued with a clear intent.

JoeO

Super Anarchist
Chicago
This is an example of behaviors not matched to the goals, compounded by a failure to objectively assess performance against the goals.

We've all met the posers, dressed out of he pages of an old Team 1 Newport catalog, loud of mouth, short of knowledge, bereft of humility.  I just smile, nod my head at them, and walk on by, carrying my old Line 7 duffel bag, stuffed with dividers, protratctor, hand-bearing compass (analog) , coupla paper charts, waxed twine, spare hydraulic oil...

Wemedge

Detroit
Like others have said, a good program defines itself by meeting its listed goals. For me, a good program would include having fun with a competent crew who are enjoyable to be around, reasonably meticulous boat and equipment prep., always learning/striving for improvement, and some success on the racecourse.

stayoutofthemiddle

Super Anarchist
Chicago
This is an example of behaviors not matched to the goals, compounded by a failure to objectively assess performance against the goals.

We've all met the posers, dressed out of he pages of an old Team 1 Newport catalog, loud of mouth, short of knowledge, bereft of humility.  I just smile, nod my head at them, and walk on by, carrying my old Line 7 duffel bag, stuffed with dividers, protratctor, hand-bearing compass (analog) , coupla paper charts, waxed twine, spare hydraulic oil...
There has to be an old Mount Gay hat in there somewhere. You have been around long enough to have one from the old days when they were legitimately cool (<2000)!

maxstaylock

Anarchist
Bringing the same number of people back to the dock, as what left in the morning.  The ability to reuse the boat gets bonus points.