What is it?

yachtie2k4

Super Anarchist
Hey guys

Wondering if any of you have seen this boat as the pic popped up on a Facebook group I am members of.

I think it's based on a rowing skull with some mods obviously A Class rig with a jib and I think I see some wings that the guy is trapping off

Cheers

Rob

FB_IMG_1534509637971.jpg

yachtie2k4

Super Anarchist
Hey Dave.

Is that been down this path before about the picture being posted on here before (if so do you know where I could find some more info about it)

or about the boat being way overpowered in light winds

Thanks

Rob

Dave Clark

Anarchist
Rhode Island
Hey Dave.

Is that been down this path before about the picture being posted on here before (if so do you know where I could find some more info about it)

or about the boat being way overpowered in light winds

Thanks

Rob
View attachment 123619 View attachment 123620

Been down it on a boat with similar dimensions. Also one with a shroud base that makes sense, sufficient displacement and a wake coming off the stern. I think the photoshop comment must be valid.

The boat in these pictures was originally a three-point configuration z-foil boat in the vein of brett burvilles early foiling moth, but Dad got bored with that part at a point and decided to take the foils off of it and make it the world's most ferocious boat stabilizing trainer. It fulfilled that design brief in spades, teaching me never to take stability for granted ever again.

The overwhelmingly dominant issue is the outright absence of any innate roll stability. When you build a moth, you get away with it because the sailor is so much more massive than the boat that a couple steps one way or another on the tramps is enough to actively stabilize the boat in displacement mode when not hiking. When you make it heavier, your ability to keep it level with small motions goes down. At about double the weight what was a light step becomes a hard stomp. Less skilled users have to bodyslam it back and forth. Once you get to triple the weight (about like the locust above and probably the rowing shell further up as well) your manpowered control regime doesn't entirely cover all the types of roll the boat can exhibit. In motion with wind on the sail it's fine, so long as the wind is fully consistent. Getting going is a real hassle. Most of this is about weight in the rig which is a big heavy moment arm that you'll need to fight constantly. Boats like this tend to be a really informative design lesson in 1) the importance of all the other states not covered in the basic RM calculating free-body diagram and 2) the full capacity/limitations of the human sailor on the boat in making all those other states work. You're not looking at easy sailing.

DRC

Latest posts