What is it?

Icedtea

Super Anarchist
https://www.donedeal.ie/sailing-for-sale/yacht/25362869?campaign=14

A very pretty 28ft wooden yacht - 1975 is supposedly when it was built but the keel looks newer. 

Someone has spent a lot of money on it in the last few years no doubt.

Says it's a David Thomas design, I can't find it on this site

Any ideas?

YjBiMjU5NWY0NmY1ZmUyZDIwZmY5ZWRkYjkzZDM1Y2GPbjWWIUaEPstg-QIncBO_aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hb...jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

boguing

There certainly was a similarly lovely-looking David Thomas wooden boat and despite walking past it at Hamble Point most days for months I can't remember its name... somewhere around 25-27 feet. I don't think it's the boat in the picture. I'm also fairly sure that David never did a rudder like that.

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
There certainly was a similarly lovely looking David Thomas wooden boat and despite walking past it at Hamble Point most days for months I can't remember its name... somewhere around 25-27 feet. I don't think it's the boat in the picture. I'm also fairly sure that David never did a rudder like that.
He did do a similar rudder on the 3/4T Liz of Lymington - at least similar as far as the skeg/rudder combination went,

The boat in the OP has a lot of similarities to a Thomas QT, but I don't think it is.  He usually incorporated a bit of a wraparound transom like on his QT Purple Haze.

The keel is most likely not the original.  Few if any IOR boats had bulbs.  Definitely an early days bulb though because it is pretty atrocious IMO

Thomas 3_4 Tonner.jpg

Purple Haze_1.jpg

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
Weren't bulbs essentially illegal under IOR?

No wider at the bottom than the top or something like that.
Nope.  I think Bob Miller (aka Ben Lexcen) tried one but the boat was such a dog that nobody followed up on it.  There was speculation that with IOR boats bulbs probably created too much pitching moment for the benefit.

But the most likely reason for the lack of bulbs under IOR is because of the CGF part of IOR which didn't like low VCG.  Most boats strove to lower the CGF and made up for the low RM by stacking the rail.  Coincidentally, the Peterson style trapezoidal keel dovetailed with that quite nicely because not only was it an efficient planform, but it  had an inherently  high VCG.

shanghaisailor

Super Anarchist
Shanghai, China
Interesting stern. I don’t immediately see where the outboard hangs.

@TwoLegged may have some info.
You are right, hanging the outboard can be challenging on those sloped sterns. THis arrangement took a lot of thought but works remarkably well although does require a bit of gymnastics at times. This is a Dubois One Off. Design 55. Somewhat smaller than the superyachts he became so famous for but nearly all retained that 'Dubois stern'. A lovely man taken too early. 

_SAM9630.jpg

shanghaisailor

Super Anarchist
Shanghai, China
Is it my ageing eyesight or has she been been re skinned  horizontally.

View attachment 384554 View attachment 384553

View attachment 384555
Purple has IS a David Thomas design. She is the prototype Bolero Quarter TOnner than had a production run of around 35 or so I understand which is way less than the likes of his SIgma 33 or Sonata designs both of which saw literally hundreds built. Purple Haze won the 1st of the rejuvenated Quarter Ton Cups. Happy to say our other boat is a Bolero, lovely boat to sail