What Is This Knot?

Jules

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda
A book I have calls it a Sylvain knot.  An Internet search comes up with no such thing.  Is there another name for it?

Sylvain_004.jpg

Sylvain_003.jpg

Sylvain_002.jpg

Sylvain_001.jpg

Rambler

Super Anarchist
East Coast OZ
I thought the whole point of the bowline was that it didn't shake apart.

I've never had it happen. I've never even had one loosen.
I think the point of the bowline is that it can (nearly) always be undone whatever load it has been under.

My understanding it is recognized as being subject to being shaken out, depending on the rope and use. Some people put a longer tail on shaken lines (spinnaker sheets) to counter this.

Snaggletooth

Morrelle Compasse
astro said:
I have had a bowline shake apart on a dinghy jib clew that was flogging while sorting out another problem between races.
Nevere heared of that happeneng......     nevere                                    :)

Ishmael

Yes, we have no bananas
Fuctifino
astro said:
I have had a bowline shake apart on a dinghy jib clew that was flogging while sorting out another problem between races.
Nevere heared of that happeneng......     nevere                                   
It can happen if you don't take up on the knot properly and have too short a tail, or if you're using yellow polypropylene 3-strand.

Snaggletooth

Morrelle Compasse
Mabey I juste wasente lisseng when evereybody tolde me it wase possibelle...........            :)

LB 15

Cunt
Can you take this discussion to 'Sailing and Cruising' or one of those other sites were sailing nubies post shit about knots and Anchors. This is SA. At the very least incorporate the words 'fuck', 'cunt' and 'cock smoking dickwad' into the post.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Can you take this discussion to 'Sailing and Cruising' or one of those other sites were sailing nubies post shit about knots and Anchors. This is SA. At the very least incorporate the words 'fuck', 'cunt' and 'cock smoking dickwad' into the post.
Take it to PA.