What makes a boat sell on SA's classifieds?

Black Jack

Super Anarchist
Will be buying a cheap ad on Sailing Anarchy in the next day or two. An old girl that I absolutely care for and saved from the dumpster came back to me last week. If you could not guess, I already own a great daysailing sloop. This makes 2 or one too many. I poured already 20 hours this week in scraping, paint, general clean up. She is beginning to shine and after a good sail, she is tight as a drum. Since I am working on bring her back for a positive reaction and desirability i want to use her. Very fun to sail too. She is a lovely wooden racer with a great history and record; in fact she will racing her this weekend in the Master Mariners Regatta and be parked at the Encinal yacht club over the holiday.

I am not interested in making any real money on her and am looking for the next caretaker rather than next "owner".  She will need to go in the next month or so. What do you think makes an attractive boat ad and how do I find the right person for her in the years to come? The last guy I sold her to two years ago is now a good friend. I am hoping that I find another one like that again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sail4beer

Usual suspect
Toms River,NJ
Being the proud owner of a 40’ wooden cutter, I’d say that you list it as you described and have a few pictures of it in it’s present condition and maybe a syndicate of young guys would consider it if not a buyer with a retirement boat in mind. WoodenBoat has a classified section for free boats as well…

guerdon

Anarchist
If you make as much information available as possible buyers will come to you.  Lots of folks want special water craft with history and you only need one buyer.  SA add worked for me because people are knowledgeable here.  Prompt response is vital.

Black Jack

Super Anarchist

IMG_8224.jpeg

I have posted her in the classifieds. Folks have already shown interest. She is a gem waiting further polishing. I have a question - if someone offers you a cashiers check sight unseen. How would you proceed? I am a prudent man and want to find the right person for the boat.

Last edited:

danstanford

Anarchist
Lake Ontario
Great question, are there any scams like this going around?

I have seen some where they want you to pay for the freight which they then put back on the deal (but never pay for any of it and the freight costs go to them) but that was for other things.

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile

View attachment 534601

I have posted her in the classifieds. Folks have already shown interest. She is a gem waiting further polishing. I have a question - if someone offers you a cashiers check sight unseen. How would you proceed? I am a prudent man and want to find the right person for the boat.
sounds scammy but I'm not sure how they're running the scam.

Good luck!

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas

View attachment 534601

Take it to your bank, and make certain it's good
before you do anything else. Most (99.9%) people making offers sight unseen are scammers.

Sail4beer

Usual suspect
Toms River,NJ
A cashier’s check should be enough. Both boats I sold through SA classifieds offered cashiers checks. I took the first one in person to the bank with him and the second one opted to direct deposit into my checking account. A cashier’s check is more secure. I wouldn’t give anyone my account information to just anyone. The second boat buyer sent a friend from MI to survey the boat, so I knew he was serious, and most likely, honest.

If you haven’t spoken with the person offering you the check, I’d think it might be a scam. As far as selling to the right person, it’s a piece of plastic, sell it to anyone that comes up with the money.

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
selling a boat is selling a dream. Folks will gravitate to boats, etc that have a story. Document that story, get it out in social media, etc, and when the boat (or whatever) is for sale, someone who's been following the story will buy it, likely with little extra work.

The only 2 boats I sold that didn't go quick or for an amount that wasn't a discount were just generic boats. No "passion" for these, they will sell on a boat to boat comparison to other boats, and there will always be a "doesn't have a this, or a that, drop the price"

The other ones were unique enough that the buyers searched me out.

I think Lively Lady has that buyer out there, if that buyer knows about her...

pudge

selling a boat is selling a dream. Folks will gravitate to boats, etc that have a story. Document that story, get it out in social media, etc, and when the boat (or whatever) is for sale, someone who's been following the story will buy it, likely with little extra work.

The only 2 boats I sold that didn't go quick or for an amount that wasn't a discount were just generic boats. No "passion" for these, they will sell on a boat to boat comparison to other boats, and there will always be a "doesn't have a this, or a that, drop the price"

The other ones were unique enough that the buyers searched me out.

I think Lively Lady has that buyer out there, if that buyer knows about her...
This is very true, well put sir.

danstanford

Anarchist
Lake Ontario
Great question, are there any scams like this going around?

I have seen some where they want you to pay for the freight which they then put back on the deal (but never pay for any of it and the freight costs go to them) but that was for other things.
My Sweetheart did some research and found that there is a scam where they send you a check for the boat that is for too much accidentally. They then ask you to refund the difference and when you do the check they sent you bounces.
Not sure what else is happening on this front but I have two serious responses to my ad and 2 that look like scams.
Dan

Black Jack

Super Anarchist
My Sweetheart did some research and found that there is a scam where they send you a check for the boat that is for too much accidentally. They then ask you to refund the difference and when you do the check they sent you bounces.
Not sure what else is happening on this front but I have two serious responses to my ad and 2 that look like scams.
Dan
me too.

Ted

Black Jack

Super Anarchist
Well the SA ad didn't work. Rather than deal with scammers further I did not continue paying a listing fee. 10 scammer attempts and no interest. Here is this awesome, secure, strong, fast sailing boat with such great history for pennies and few even notice. Times, buyers and sailors surely have changed. I still believe she is the best boat ever designed by Gary Mull and more significant than any of the love threads of rebuilds of classic IORs posted. Diane Beestons famous photo of her.

IMG_0691.PNG