What sunglasses do you wear?

loneshark64

Super Anarchist
Maine, USA
I need prescription and have had the same pair of Costa hammerhead frames for 15 years. I have sent them in to Replacealens about 10 times and the frames are still fine. Rayban frames hold up well through multiple replacements also. Some others I have had do not like having the lens replaced a bunch of times and are prone to breakage.

Replacealens is a bit inconsistent though; I will try Tajima, never heard of it. Where do you get the discount code?

giegs

Anarchist
Arid
Hadn't heard of them, but they look damn near identical to the Smith Lowdowns I've been wearing for a fraction of the price. Just ordered a pair, I'll try to remember to update after they arrive.
After a couple of months: At least they're cheap.

Decent build quality, comfortable enough and no issues with them staying on when doing stuff, but the lenses are junk. Lots of chromatic aberration to the point where it seems like there's a projection inside the lens. Fatiguing and distracting to wear, but at least you'll look sorta good doing it. They're polarized, so probably better than what you'd pick up in a gas station, maybe. An alright option if you expect to lose or destroy them. They'll stay in the truck as an extra pair.

Black Jack

Super Anarchist
I have three. One for everyday.
images-4.jpg

Maui Jims for bike, deck, beach work.

local-kine-ig-j.espinosa.kennedy.jpg

My other sunglasses are Bose that link up to my phone for countdowns, notifications and turn by turn directions. I have back up lenses plus yellow tint for low light. I even have set of lenses that are readers...

cwelch_200927_4359_0001.jpg

Sail4beer

Usual suspect
Toms River,NJ
I wound up with Maui Jim Watermen. They have a built in headband(obviously), and vented so moisture doesn’t accumulate and fog over. They won’t walk like my other MJ’s if they’re hanging around my neck…
image.jpg
image.jpg

Goodvibes

under the southern cross I stand ...
Anybody tried the blue or green Maui Jim lens?

Getting a new pair and reluctant to switch from the brown lenses I have used for ten years. But the colours are 'eye-catching'.

After a couple of months: At least they're cheap.

Decent build quality, comfortable enough and no issues with them staying on when doing stuff, but the lenses are junk. Lots of chromatic aberration to the point where it seems like there's a projection inside the lens. Fatiguing and distracting to wear, but at least you'll look sorta good doing it. They're polarized, so probably better than what you'd pick up in a gas station, maybe. An alright option if you expect to lose or destroy them. They'll stay in the truck as an extra pair.

They're nowhere near that bad but they're not quite as good as, say, basic Ray Bans. For 25 bucks they're great. I have a pair I leave in the car.

Top marks for being light and staying put as advertised. They were comfortable for bike riding when I forgot my usual cycling glasses. They're good enough for Phil Gaimon!

In the fancy glasses department, I'm thinking of putting Tajima lenses in my Persols. The stock lenses in those are about like polarized Ray Bans.

Rantifarian

Rantifarian
Anyone tried these? My daughter (Navy Helo Pilot) wears them anytime she doesn't want to risk losing/damaging her good wayarers. Says she can't tell the difference...

https://goodr.com/
I like them for the price, the weight and the comfort, but they are no Maui Jim's.
The lenses scratch quickly, and they don't start off amazingly clear. The rubber nose pieces seem to dissolve with extended sunscreen use. The reflective coating in particular seems to be incredibly fragile.

Despite all the downsides, I'm on my third pair and about to get a fourth, they are on par with Oakley running gear 5x the price, and you don't look like a triathlon wanker when wearing them

Grande Mastere Dreade

Snag's spellchecker
whatever is left in the lost and found after the last regatta.. :cool:

bolle's / sunclouds on the less expensive end... got some maui's in a polycarbonate frame that seem to work well..

but the bigger question... other than polerization... what lens color / tint is best of sailing... i've always found the rose / vermillion tints to be easiest on the eyes.. but no current glasses with that..

Reactions: Mid

Jud - s/v Sputnik

Super Anarchist
Canada
I just got contact lenses and am looking to buy a good quality pair of polarized sunglasses for this season. What might you recommend?
I kept getting these annoying ads (are ads ever not annoying?) on Facebook, took a screenshot, blocked the ads, and have a plan to check these out. I like the idea if the side covers - important on a glacier to keep sharp reflection off snow out of your eyes. As in the water - but I wonder about peripheral viz suffering unduly?

1C72CBF2-E13D-432E-9FCE-21E8118126D7.jpeg

H-77

My criteria:
1) <$30
2) Polarized
3) Polarization angle such that I can still read my Velocitek
4) Don't fall off when I lean forward
5) Not weird.

Usually #3 is the hardest one.

Slick470

Super Anarchist
Virginia
I have a pair of the Gill Marker polarized. I bought them on a whim after I lost my last pair of boat sunglasses. Intended on wearing them just on the boat but ended up wearing them as everyday sunglasses. Looks like they are currently $75 and they have other styles available now including a version with upgraded lenses. They float too! (haven't tested that part)

Sail4beer

Usual suspect
Toms River,NJ
After several months I can state that I like my odd looking Waterman glasses. The can’t fall off, block sunlight and wind from the sides and the venting around the lenses is good for hot days

Blue Crab

benthivore
Outer Banks
My criteria:
1) <$30
2) Polarized
3) Polarization angle such that I can still read my Velocitek
4) Don't fall off when I lean forward
5) Not weird.

Usually #3 is the hardest one.
I use $20 Solar Shields over my clear trifocals' and frame for everything outside. They fail on #5 for sure but I really like the side protection and the extra layer of safely all around my eyes. They've taken many an incoming hit out and about. I put my wearovers on just now and think they are easily clear enough to read anything you can get in focus.

That said, after I buzzed Maui Jim's site, I will admit to a lingering lust for real glass lenses.

Goodvibes

under the southern cross I stand ...
After several months I can state that I like my odd looking Waterman glasses. The can’t fall off, block sunlight and wind from the sides and the venting around the lenses is good for hot days
I have been using MJ Peahi's for years, nice wrap, broad side arms for protection and virtually bullet proof for normal use and don't fall off. Not one scratch on them after almost ten years. The matt black coating on the frame long gone.

However I went into a store the other day while waiting for someone, I picked up (with the assistant unlocking the cabinet) a pair with carbon fibre frame, new model. Glass lenses but half the weight of the ones I have been using. Considering lashing out for them. You know how it goes, just bubbles away inside you until you have to have them!

EDIT: Oh and I had a polycarbonate lens pair of MJ's a while ago that I forgot to swap off for the glass ones one sailing afternoon. I could not see the next mark as I usually could. I don't care what the numbers say, the clarity is not the same. I suspect that the plastic lenses attract salt film more than glass. A couple of minutes is all it takes to take the edge off them. The glass just stays cleaner. I like the poly lenses for driving, really light and comfy.

Last edited: