What will AC75 v 2 look like

Piet56

Anarchist
Dumbjockistan
Assuming that ETNZ / INEOS are the next defender challenger combo - how or what do these boats look like? How do you improve on these things?

hoom

Super Anarchist
Orkland
No bowsprit or allow some kind of underway code-0 deployment/retrieval system.

Foil arm revision for more span/thinner profile (if there is margin?)

FCS revision for better reliability/less weight based on experience in use.

Probably either ban TNZ style sunken deck or make it more viable.

Maybe adjustment to the min waterplane area to help them be less sticky in displacement? (Verdier seemed to be not happy about that in the recent French interview or did I misunderstand?)

IMO should allow a 4th pair of main foils & similar limit on rudders.

I think an option for smaller mast has been mentioned for better moding.

Some kind of crash/capsize proof VIP pod? This class was supposed to have the return of the VIP passenger but that got abandoned. IMO I think they're better off sticking to no VIP though.

Personally I reckon a bit of a down-scale could help cut costs/attract more competitors.

Alternately/also an AC45-style easily transported OD variant for ACWS & start-up teams.

Change the helm setup so that teams aren't having to choose between going with two-person steering and scampering across the deck at 45kts. 

NotSoFast

1) FCS revision to automate a foil in full up position to gradually move downwards relative to the boat, to compensate for excessive heeling angles, thus keeping the foil at the position to continue producing maximum righting moment. Currently the foil heels with the boat, until it's located right above the centerline, see the American Magic case where the boat got seriously damaged as a reference. The required movement of the heavy foil does not require electric power in that case, only power for electronic unit of FCS. In fact the electric motor adjusting foil cant could even be used as a generator to produce necessary power for FCS electronics should the battery fail or be empty in such situation. But I don't see that last one as important, just as a possibility.

With that kind of system modification of FCS, the center of gravity of the foil will not be allowed to raise higher than the cant axis due to increasing heeling angle, as the current status.

2) Ban movement of crew members across the centerline above deck during a race. There were several times during racing then crossing took place in front of another boat coming close from behind at fast speed. Should a crossing crewmember fallen over board he would have been run over by the other boat with no time to avoid. Potential death as a result. There is no need to risk killing crewmembers due to such practice, as it provides nothing to improve racing.

JALhazmat

Super Anarchist
Southampton
not sure its a potential death more like certain, being hit by 6.5 tonnes through a small surface area, (Foil or rudder leading edge) moving at 35+kts, you would burst on impact 

alphafb552

Super Anarchist
Fryslan boppe!

Personally I reckon a bit of a down-scale could help cut costs/attract more competitors.

Down-scale to 60 feet. 
Downscaling will only save a few square meters of carbon - none of the expensive technology and development costs will be affected so savings will be minimal.

Unless you suggest also reducing crew sizes, then there might be a few savings on personnel costs

alphafb552

Super Anarchist
Fryslan boppe!
Not necessarily related to the boats, but the penalty system needs to be revised to make the competition more like match racing, less like pure speed trials

amc

Anarchist
Auckland
Not necessarily related to the boats, but the penalty system needs to be revised to make the competition more like match racing, less like pure speed trials
Personally I prefer it to be a design race, there are lots of other match racing regattas in identical boats to watch if that is your preference. Nothing wrong with watching match racing I might add, it is super exciting when things are close. 

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
Terry Hutchinson in an Interview suggested that the Crew will be reduced and "Grinding" will entirely done by Batteries just like the SailGP Boats.

There are also Rumors that Team New Zealand might incorporate a "Self-Tacking Jib" so the Jib Trimmers will fall over the wayside.

Basically you only have to push some buttons to win AC Races and hang onto the wheel.

Not sure if that's Sailing anymore then!

Terry Hutchinson in an Interview suggested that the Crew will be reduced and "Grinding" will entirely done by Batteries just like the SailGP Boats.

There are also Rumors that Team New Zealand might incorporate a "Self-Tacking Jib" so the Jib Trimmers will fall over the wayside.

Basically you only have to push some buttons to win AC Races and hang onto the wheel.

I thought Terry said that the grinders will be cut about in half - 3 to 4 grinders.  I suspect all teams go to the dual helmsman so that nobody is running back and forth.  There is a rumor swirling in at the Sail GP event in Denmark - TH may be talking to a helmsman who may or may not drive the Aussie boat.

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
I thought Terry said that the grinders will be cut about in half - 3 to 4 grinders.  I suspect all teams go to the dual helmsman so that nobody is running back and forth.  There is a rumor swirling in at the Sail GP event in Denmark - TH may be talking to a helmsman who may or may not drive the Aussie boat.
Not sure how that is going to work? Given the new Nationality Rules incorporated by TNZ & INEOS only an American can drive a Boat for an American Challenger in AC37!

pusslicker

Super Anarchist
Paris

It's a design race. Who cares about the the crew? There are tons of other sailing skill contests available out there. I hope they leave this last design race alone.