What will AC75 v 2 look like

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
It's a design race. Who cares about the the crew? There are tons of other sailing skill contests available out there. I hope they leave this last design race alone.
No, it is a DESIGN & SAILING Race. I dunno if you can still call it the AC if you just have to push buttons!

Zaal

Anarchist
Italy
In a recent interview Max Sirena told that there has been an informal chat between teams of the last edition to gather ideas and suggestions for the next AC. He said that the grinders might be reduced and that there is the intention to widen up the AC75 wind range. In a interview made in Auckland during the Prada Cup Checco Bruni said that one possible solution to this was to use different masts, just like in Sail Gp.

Personally, I think that there will be more one design parts in the next rule, since one of the main goal for the next edition should be to attract new teams. Foils rudders and sails will be designed by teams, maybe the hull could be one design ? 

basketcase

Fuck you second amendment
Personally, I think that there will be more one design parts in the next rule, since one of the main goal for the next edition should be to attract new teams. Foils rudders and sails will be designed by teams, maybe the hull could be one design ? 
so..... same as the AC50?

NeedAClew

Super Anarchist
USA
Not sure how that is going to work? Given the new Nationality Rules incorporated by TNZ & INEOS only an American can drive a Boat for an American Challenger in AC37!
Slingers mother is American. Even though he is a proud Aussie, technically he can claim citizenship via her. For all I know, he has a US passport in his sock drawer.  

Gissie

Super Anarchist
Make the boats one design, all built by the company willing to pay the most to Team What Ever Country Pays The Most.

This will ensure dozens, or at least double figures, of challengers. This will enable the country paying billions to hold the event to pretend it is worth it. Or not.

sailman

Super Anarchist
Portsmouth, RI
Make the boats one design, all built by the company willing to pay the most to Team What Ever Country Pays The Most.

This will ensure dozens, or at least double figures, of challengers. This will enable the country paying billions to hold the event to pretend it is worth it. Or not.
Isn't that what SailGP is?

Zaal

Anarchist
Italy
when we had the AC50s, people bitched that there should be no one design component.  the cup is a design/build/race competition.
And I absolutely agree on this. But I expect ETNZ and COR to focus a lot on bringing in new teams, hence the fact they they could impose some more one design components to cut expenses. I don't  think that a "one boat" program could be enough, because you save on boat construction costs, but you have only one shot to get the boat right, so you spend more on designing it (a better simulator, a bigger design team, for example) and you still have to build the smaller surrogate boats. 

Chimp too

Anarchist
Europe
And I absolutely agree on this. But I expect ETNZ and COR to focus a lot on bringing in new teams, hence the fact they they could impose some more one design components to cut expenses. I don't  think that a "one boat" program could be enough, because you save on boat construction costs, but you have only one shot to get the boat right, so you spend more on designing it (a better simulator, a bigger design team, for example) and you still have to build the smaller surrogate boats. 
If they are all the same, they don't have to be right. 

chesirecat

Super Anarchist
Shoebox on M'way
This beastie could fit the bill. Change the format with some passage stuff and round the buoys, Circuit already set up. 

Post launch shakedown showing some impressive numbers 

Trimaran SVR Lazartigue and Francois Gabart

macif_n.jpg

La Zartigue.jpg

idontwan2know

Super Anarchist
If they want to have any challengers, the differences need to be minor enough that v1 boats can be brought up to v2 spec reasonably. Most of the rumors from the teams seem to be along those lines....reduce grinders, maybe some expanded rig options. I'd be surprised if improved FCS isn't on the agenda though that really falls into more of a fix than a design change since they're one design anyway.

Boybland

Super Anarchist
Morioka, Japan
Mandate the code 0 be on board at all times (maybe a deck channel or similar).

Work towards making it easily deployable / retrievable mid race.

On it's own this would massively improve racing in low end conditions.

Clear up what is and isn't allowed as far as deck height goes.

Otherwise as mentioned, ensure any changes are not so drastic that we have to throw away the existing boats, they need to be at least viable as training platforms for new teams.

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Making the boats one design would be the best move to reduce costs and have all the boats built at the same factory. A bit like the VOR65's. The money that is needed to be spent on designing your own boat is so stupid you have NZ going offshore in an attempt to raise the money. If the AC continues in this manner it will capitulate eventually as the costs vs the return simply don't make sense. One Design would see twice as many teams if not more entering the regatta. The best sailors win is what we want to see. 

Terry Hollis

Super Anarchist
Making the boats one design would be the best move to reduce costs and have all the boats built at the same factory. A bit like the VOR65's. The money that is needed to be spent on designing your own boat is so stupid you have NZ going offshore in an attempt to raise the money. If the AC continues in this manner it will capitulate eventually as the costs vs the return simply don't make sense. One Design would see twice as many teams if not more entering the regatta. The best sailors win is what we want to see. 
If you make it one design it will no longer be the America's Cap, in would be just another regatta.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
While rig power and aero-drag reduction matter too, the tastiest 'secret sauce' with the AC75's is in the foils and their shape controls. That's where I'd like to see the Design Rule envelopes opened up wider.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
Exactly the wrong strategy. The AC must maintain its design/sailing competition origins/traditions to remain relevant. "The best sailors win is what we want to see", we already get every 4 years at the Olympics, not to mention World Championship every year.