What will AC75 v 2 look like

Terry Hollis

Super Anarchist
I got the impression, Te Rehutai's full potential was never on display during the AC36 match, while Luna Rossa was fully tapped out. There was more to that speed edge than just aero-drag, that's for sure.
I am sure that you are right but I was merely quoting their main competitor ..

Interview with Max Sirena in the Luna Rossa thread ..

"Q: What would you take from the other boats?

Horacio : The aerodynamics of Te Rehutai. Anyway, I'm confident that we have both the people and the means to develop this sector a lot, perhaps the only one we were a little behind on. We are already active right now to improve ourselves."

Priscilla

Super Anarchist
I got the impression, Te Rehutai's full potential was never on display during the AC36 match, while Luna Rossa was fully tapped out. There was more to that speed edge than just aero-drag, that's for sure.
Gotta wonder wether the teams lining up for a tilt at AC37 will come within a bulls roar of licking Te Rehutai’s rather broad ass considering they are limited to campaigning only one new boat…

6816AF3A-C19C-4D47-9803-C6162C8675FB.jpeg

A955AA4F-4EF4-4229-A7A0-45E7E840ABE8.jpeg

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Yes the one boat rule will mandate some varying degree of a "roll of the dice" when it comes time to press the GO button.

How far out on that limb is a team prepared to go...
A lot will surely be loosened up on hull mods you can make, foils you can build, masts, sail cards etc.

atwinda

Anarchist
I recall the ETNZ sail designer mentioning how difficult it was to measure the sails in (specifically the mainsails) as they had to fitted and loaded on the spar.. I'd bet they change that up to measure off the rig somehow.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
I recall the ETNZ sail designer mentioning how difficult it was to measure the sails in (specifically the mainsails) as they had to fitted and loaded on the spar.. I'd bet they change that up to measure off the rig somehow.
Sounds like a good idea too.

The sails must surely be a cost-saving are too though. Fewer parts allowed maybe, to simplify things.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Hah Stinger this is the AC "cost saving" and "simple" just ain't in the vocabulary.
Hah, true. But if this double-mainsail thing is supposed to trickle down then maybe simplify the contraptions? Better yet, go with practical and more-efficient solid wings somehow?

Last edited by a moderator:

atwinda

Anarchist
Sounds like a good idea too.

The sails must surely be a cost-saving are too though. Fewer parts allowed maybe, to simplify things.
I'd be willing to bet the primary cost saving factor for the sail inventory will be the elimination of the code zeros. Other refinements might be a wider range of tolerances on the main sails to accommodate the excessive hollow AM were running with their bat wing main. ETNZ at least tried it, so they'll likely have modeling data, and real world data to asses that. I doubt they would open it up to multiple height rigs, doubling the rig and sail inventory wouldn't cut any costs- but it might be justified to sail in the lighter air days that saw the boats glued to the water.

atwinda

Anarchist
Hah, true. But if this double-mainsail thing is supposed to trickle down then maybe simplify the contraptions? Better yet, go with practical and more-efficient solid wings somehow?
Care to explain practical? the solid wings are only more practical in a modular sense, but are far more complex to build, store, and fix when you capsize.

At least when the AC75's capsized they could be righted with help and join the next race. The solid wing sails are always going to break.

enigmatically2

Super Anarchist
Earth
Alternately/also an AC45-style easily transported OD variant for ACWS & start-up teams.
Well you certainly got that pretty bang on.

I think most of your other suggestions were also good. Though I would allow even more foils and allow them to pick on the day

The_Alchemist

Super Anarchist
USA
Making the boats one design would be the best move to reduce costs and have all the boats built at the same factory. A bit like the VOR65's. The money that is needed to be spent on designing your own boat is so stupid you have NZ going offshore in an attempt to raise the money. If the AC continues in this manner it will capitulate eventually as the costs vs the return simply don't make sense. One Design would see twice as many teams if not more entering the regatta. The best sailors win is what we want to see. 
Oh, you mean like SailGP?

The_Alchemist

Super Anarchist
USA
Well, we at least know what the racing protocol and hosting negotiations looks like:

Last edited by a moderator: