what will the Republican party look like after Trump has done with it?

dylan winter

Super Anarchist
I have been watching Mercan politics with interest.

I was wondering

Once the Trumpists/Bannonites and the teaparty  etc have finished with the Republican party I assume it will be a million miles from the old Reagan/Bush party.

What will it be like. Will it be further to the right or will it move back towards the centre ground?

Will it split?

In which case.... which way will the Dems go - towards Bernie? or to the centre ground.

Maybe a three party system in the States?

D

PS I hope after today's developments Trump and his cronies are shitting in their pants.

Sean

Super Anarchist
Sag Harbor, NY
It's a good question. A few days ago the political cognoscenti had the Party firmly in the grip of The Donald. I'd be surprised if you don't see some of the recent converts backtracking after yesterday's circus. Come Mueller Time, it will be a stampede. You'll see Congress Critters declaring it's time to get back to the Republican ethos of the Reagan era.

At the end of the day, they will do what the polls tell them to do.

dylan winter

Super Anarchist
I am assuming it will get a kicking in 2018....

but then most pundits were wrong about Trump getting in

damn our politics in the UK is dull compared to yours

but......

it is just dawning on some of the Brits that our little EU knife edge difficulty might have been helped over the threshold  by a few Ukranian sock puppets.  We are now wondering if Nigel has been on the receiving end of some foreign beer money

genelec2015-nigel-farage-confused.jpg

Timmys_Trick_Turkey

Super Anarchist
Is Trump naieve in thinking he can run amok unchecked and undo hundreds of years of decisions, or has he just become bored with the umpire and  taken his bat and ball and gone home.  Push the button and nuke North Korea and be remembered for something other than 'Youre fired" and Fake news.

Last edited by a moderator:

dylan winter

Super Anarchist
Is Trump naieve in thinking he can run amok unchecked and undo hundreds of years of decisions, or has he just become bored with the umpire and  taken his bat and ball and gone home.  Push the button and nuke North Korea and be remembered for something other than 'Youre fired" and Fake news.
fek I hope you are wrong

dylan winter

Super Anarchist
Trump's a businessman. He's bringing the hostile take over to a new level.
not that hostile

like Zombies with the smell of blood  Republicans appear to smell tax cuts for their backers

- they just can't help themselves as they follow the dollars

what amazes me is the republican base still thinks Trump is doing a good job

D

Dog

Super Anarchist
He'll probably do for Republicans what Obama did for Democrats. Leave them out in the cold.

learningJ24

Super Anarchist
A lot depends upon the white working class (white males without a college education) realizing that the R's sent to office are NOT working in their interest.  While enraged, these people are NOT stupid.  When their voting pattern begins to change from anti-Hillary (she's not in an elective office, not running and not in a position of direct influence), social issue and supply side, the Republican will be in a much tougher spot by having to choose between their big money donors and the actual voters. At that point the Republican party will be forced to move to the left on infrastructure, opioid addiction support and some sort of medical care support.  The "Never Democrat cooperation" crowd would be left behind to form a third party

Or

The R's will quit pretending to be concerned about working class voters and throw in completely with corporate/mega-donors and use their gerrymandering, judicial appointment and state government advantages to isolate political challengers to insignificance, restrict voting rights in opposing populations and expand control over education and media.  Call it the New Southern Strategy (just like the ante-bellum South).

Sean

Super Anarchist
Sag Harbor, NY
A lot depends upon the white working class (white males without a college education) realizing that the R's sent to office are NOT working in their interest.  While enraged, these people are NOT stupid.  When their voting pattern begins to change from anti-Hillary (she's not in an elective office, not running and not in a position of direct influence), social issue and supply side, the Republican will be in a much tougher spot by having to choose between their big money donors and the actual voters. At that point the Republican party will be forced to move to the left on infrastructure, opioid addiction support and some sort of medical care support.  The "Never Democrat cooperation" crowd would be left behind to form a third party

Or

The R's will quit pretending to be concerned about working class voters and throw in completely with corporate/mega-donors and use their gerrymandering, judicial appointment and state government advantages to isolate political challengers to insignificance, restrict voting rights in opposing populations and expand control over education and media.  Call it the New Southern Strategy (just like the ante-bellum South).
That’s why they do stuff like this -

https://www.axios.com/scoop-pro-trump-group-plans-8-figures-ad-campaign-for-tax-cuts-2504820915.html

One of the biggest pro-Trump outside groups of 2016, backed by the Adelson and Ricketts families, plans to spend "eight figures" — at least $10 million — backing tax reform. The 45Committee is launching "The Middle Class Project," a 501(c)(4) with an opening TV spot, "What's In It For You," that will debut nationally with tomorrow's bill introduction. See it here.

dylan winter

Super Anarchist

Or

that is why I come to this forum - to seek enlightenment and perspective

well written that man

D