What's at stake with NBR Misconduct rule 69?

JimC

Not actually an anarchist.
South East England
Its worth remembering that RRS 69 isn't necessarily the nuclear option. Yes RRS69 misconduct at its worst can lead to a ban from sailing, but at the other end of the scale its the only situation where the PC can find the miscreant guilty, but then do no more than issue a telling off.

221J

CT
Let me guess... you're that guy who always ignores the Owner's request to wear your new crew shirt for a specific day or event to look good for the photos. You also are the last to pay for your shirt, and only after numerous email reminders.
I'll bet you're a great team player!

You don't know that. The OP might be the guy you are speculating his is or he could get along with people outside of this untimely outburst. He has already been punished by missing the race and, it seems, being banned from Bermuda. I hope that he does fit in with others and can partake in our sport with civility.

Expat Canuck

Anarchist
Salish Sea
Let me guess... you're that guy who always ignores the Owner's request to wear your new crew shirt for a specific day or event to look good for the photos. You also are the last to pay for your shirt, and only after numerous email reminders.
I'll bet you're a great team player!

You don't know that. The OP might be the guy you are speculating his is or he could get along with people outside of this untimely outburst. He has already been punished by missing the race and, it seems, being banned from Bermuda. I hope that he does fit in with others and can partake in our sport with civility.
He's posting videos critical of people who "conform". So yeah.. I think we can surmise that it's always about him. We do know that his actions left a boat short on crew just a few hours/days before a mutli-day race. I'll be the owner/crew boss/crew were pretty jazzed about that.

Coastal_Fox

New England
Alas I did not do the race. The boat I was on did, though. No matter how this all ends up, at minimum i'll give the next few NBR's a pass. The thread has been.. well.. it's been SA... but it's also been pretty informative.
Hey man, i know I've taken a shot at you itt, and i dont even know you. But from my perspective, we are the same age, and what i seem to be reading here is that you're possibly throwing away an opportunity that i could never even dream of having, and when asked for a justification for your actions, your saying "look at this 4 minute internet cartoon".
Thats absurdly perplexing to me. Maybe participating in an event like that in your life is just akin to an after school sport you can just blow off, but to me it would be a once in a lifetime opportunity, so i would hope you would be able to justify acting that way with thoughts that came from your own head rather than some "deep think" youtube channel.

Idk. Its just crazy to me, but maybe we are just viewing the world from different positions.

I guess if i have any sincere advice, it would be to consider why flipping over tables and tearing stuff off walls at the customs office of a foreign host country might reflect poorly on the organization you're there representing. I would go to the hearing, especially if you think there is a lack of opportunities to show "courage" in this world, because one is right in front of you.
If you consider your actions and conclude you were in the wrong, then i would go and explain how you came to that conclusion.
If however, you still feel as though it was the right thing to do, then i would say stick to your conviction, but you should definitely have a better explanation than a 3 min PragerU video queued up on your phone.

Last edited:

Howler

What you say would have some validity if he had come on here and said "Wow, I really fucked up and threw a tantrum." But in fact he seems to be trying to defend his behavior as having been appropriate.

basketcase

Fuck you second amendment
a long way from home
Alas I did not do the race. The boat I was on did, though. No matter how this all ends up, at minimum i'll give the next few NBR's a pass. The thread has been.. well.. it's been SA... but it's also been pretty informative.
What a surprise...... And I don't think theres an 'alas' to it, more of a 'get your shit off my boat'. But I could be wrong.....

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
The videos aren't bad. I watched most of both of them but neither held any undiscovered truths.

Unfortunately, the OP either didn't understand the videos, or chose not to. I think the OP just liked the titles of the videos.

My takeaway from the risk video was that taking risks related to obtaining an objective is often absent in todays society. On the other hand, standing in the middle of a freeway just to watch cars swerve around you is all too common these days (IMO).

One is beneficial risk taking, the other is just risk taking.

In the conformity video they say "with regards to the adoption of things considered socially acceptable - the non-conformist adopts them because they understand their utility. The conformist adopts them out of a desire to be accepted." I assert that most if not all vaccinated people did so because they understood the utility of the vaccines

accnick

Super Anarchist
Certainly it is - who want's to die? It just shoudn't be the primary issue. Sailing is inherently dangerous, and being on the ocean is one of the few things you can still do to actually exercise your courage (not that it's dangerous most of the time).

For the last few years, I've found engaging with the safety-focused to be rather taxing and I got pretty good at avoiding them. I really didn't expect to bump into them at an offshore sailing event. Ahh well...

another great video essay for those that might be interested:

If you had bothered to stay up to date by reading the competitor bulletins, you would have known exactly what the protocols would be at check-in in Newport prior to the race.

If you want to participate in the Newport Bermuda Race in the future, you may want to consider what your response will be with regard to the hearing.

shubrook

Anarchist
CT, USA
Hey man, i know ....
You can definitely do it. There's like a hundred boats.

I'm probably a bit older than you, I just like zoomer memes. If you want to get into it, the best way to start is with Wed. night racing. Find the closest Yacht Club on google maps and go there at 6pm; It's perfectly acceptable to just walk the dock and say "hello, got room tonight?". Just bring sun glasses and tennis shoes. You don't actually have to know anything - sitting there and keeping the boat flat is a legit job.

When you know your way around a winch handle, find out which boats do overnight races like the Block Island Race and the Vineyard Race, Around Long Island Race & Offsoundings and again - just ask. There's probably a bunch of weekend events north of cape cod too, someone else would have to tell you what those are though. You can also post on the crew pool here. I met a lot of great sailors that way.

Do those for a couple of years and you'll find a boat that has a spot for the NBR, Anapolis-Newport or Halifax-Nova Scotia.

I can't make you watch the video, and I'm not writing an essay to sum it all up lol.

Last edited:

shubrook

Anarchist
CT, USA
In the conformity video they say "with regards to the adoption of things considered socially acceptable - the non-conformist adopts them because they understand their utility. The conformist adopts them out of a desire to be accepted." I assert that most if not all vaccinated people did so because they understood the utility of the vaccines
It's cool that you watched them - I wasnt going to write all that out.

To be honest I think a lot of people did as the megaphone said because it was holding their vacations hostage.

Coastal_Fox

New England
You can definitely do it. There's like a hundred boats.

I'm probably a bit older than you,
>Imagine taking a few weeks off of work to play sailboat and not losing your job and your house.

If your bday in your profile is correct, then you were only born 5 weeks before me. Also idk if soyjacks count as zoomer memes haha. If they are, its stolen valor.

Point is, you're suppose to read greentext stories and laugh ironically, not emulate them.
You speak pretty respectfully, and you seem like a nice enough person, which is why its odd you acted like you did. Though, also, your being brought up on rule 69? If someone else didnt say they witnessed it, i would just chalk the whole story up as a shitpost haha.

Regardless, if it IS true, then I think you probably have the capacity to understand that acting that way is foolish and extremely disrespectful to the people putting on the race, the people just trying to do their jobs at customs, and the people you were set to crew with that are suddenly short handed because you couldn't be bothered to fallow a silly rule for 20min of your life.
Like i said, you can't stand there and say shit like "there's scarcely any way left to express courage" and not realize courage isn't standing on the bow of a boat made with the strongest modern materials on a cruise to the bahamas, courage is going to a hearing your called to because of your actions and either apologizing because you know what you did was wrong, or, standing up for your principles with your own conviction and reasoning, and not just parroting some BS you saw on youtube.

But courage certainly is NOT going online and asking advice on how to weasel your way out of it.

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
He's a baby of 34, which explains the sophomoric videos if not the bad behavior.
I knew better than that at age 6 or so, YMMV.
Note to the OP - offshore racing is NOT the place for a non-conformist asshole.
You need to conform to the colregs.
You need to conform to the SIs.
You need to conform to the skipper's orders and SOPs.
Likewise with your watch captain.
You need to conform to the traditions and expectations of your host club(s).
You need to get along with a lot of people in a stressful environment in a very small space.
People die on these races. You will potentially have all the danger you can handle WITHOUT acting up trying to create some.