What's happened to the VX One ?

oregami 81

Great video. Sportsboats in this wind are the next best thing to dinghy sailing for us old guys.

What’s the ideal crew weight for a VX?

Vgree

Super Anarchist
OKC, Oklahoma
I think the ideal weight is around 400lbs to 440. But in our fleet in OKC we have a wide range of crew weights from 320 to 470 and all boats have been competitive. The lighter boats do well in light air and vice versa. I usually sail at about 320 and we have proven to be competitive in most conditions. Over 18 it starts to get tough for us to hang on.

AussieMick

Australia
In Australia we are starting to think a bit more than that, we must get a bit more wind.

My target now is about 220-230kg, I used to sail @ 190kg but would get chewed up over 15 knots by the heavier crews and while light winds seem to avoid us, never got the advantage in the light stuff.

ultaracer613um

Super Anarchist
Texas
Sarasota had 8 races, avg wind was close to 20 with 25 gusting into the 30s on Sunday.

First place boat won no races at 510 lbs.

Second place boat won 5 of 8 races at 420 lbs

Third place boat won 3 of 8 races at 480 ish?

One boat that was probably less than 400 ahoukd have won the big breeze race. Flat quantum sails and mass rig tensions. They were blazing afar up wind.

Sweet spot is really wide. Lots if gears on this boat, and we did some unique things to hold the big fellas off uphill. Bit also depends on sea state I guess.. But we had some good chop.

Last edited by a moderator:

tedrules

Sydney

Video of four VX One from Sydney sailing 15 nautical miles down the coast fro Pittwater to Sydney Harbour.

Guest helmsman was Iain Murray sailing AUS 155 with the white kite.

It was an awesome trip!

Rodfavela

Anarchist
Texas
Here is another fresh video also from Australia. This video shows some of the features of the VX One in great detail and was really nice put together by one of the early VX One'ers in the big island . Credits to F.K and family for the great clip.

Vgree

Super Anarchist
OKC, Oklahoma
Look forward to seeing it in the fleet. Maybe sometime next year we can convince a few Oklahoma boats to travel to Lake Perry and meet the Kansas boat at his home lake. Perry is a fun place to sail and I have never been there when there wasn't heavy air.

Sounds like there might be another Dallas boat showing up also.

Rodfavela

Anarchist
Texas
Happening now at the Biloxi Yacht Club:

10906173_771141459621077_1185638840917914492_n.jpg

10922671_771173256284564_431543001146854499_n.jpg

Vgree

Super Anarchist
OKC, Oklahoma
Fleet #4 Schedule for this coming season. Lots of events planned, the two in bold are the primary events but all are expected to have a One Design fleet of VX ones.

New boats coming into the fleet and lots of very active current members of the fleet. Gonna be a fun year in this area for the VXs. If you want to have fun get in contact with one of the owners or Rod Favela to arrange getting a ride on the boat.

2015 NOTICE OF SERIES FINAL (1).pdf

Attachments

• 2015 NOTICE OF SERIES FINAL (1).pdf
    186.7 KB · Views: 39

Rodfavela

Anarchist
Texas
25 boats registered for Bacardi Cup to race in a week time...clock is ticking...in the meantime, the Oklahoma City Boat Club has 7 VX's in it's premises together with 7 more between Houston and Dallas (yes, Ultra and Belton) by April.

Kansas has also one boat, this adds up to 15 boats in Fleet #4.

Southern Circuit is ON.

Vgree

Super Anarchist
OKC, Oklahoma
Gonna be a good year for the VX in this region. Growing fast, I think we have added 5 boats in Fleet 4 since last season. Some of them pretty new to the racing scene while some are very experienced.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
VX no.1 looked over at his pals in the fleet and said, "show of hands - who wants to sail in Annapolis?"

None went up.

Vgree

Super Anarchist
OKC, Oklahoma
Wish the VX had caught on in Annapolis instead of the 70...
It isn't to late at all, just find the right group of guys to get together with and make a group purchase. Once a few are on the water more will swarm to them. I think the market for the VX and J70 are quite different, there is crossover but not a ton.