What's happened to the VX One ?

orca99

Right there with you believe me, sail with the fiance, nothing has ever happened faster when you tell your fiance to pick up the pace.
I know a guaranteed way to get that kite up and down as quickly as you like.......let the GF steer

sailhmb

half moon bay
Simple mod for slippery tillers. I got this tip from Jack in Long Beach who got it from I14s. Run a bungie from the hiking strap over the tiller and back down to the opposite hiking strap. It slows the tiller movement down just enough that if it slips from your fingers during a tack it is still there for a few seconds and you can grab it before it goes to leeward. Works good.

Varan

Super Anarchist
So what's happening with the VX1? Y'all been awful quiet lately. Is the class growing? Where are the most active OD fleets? I really like the boat. So what's going on? Any boatshow demos in the PNW?

sailhmb

half moon bay
Just got two new boat owners in LA and formed Fleet 7. We trailered up to Friday Harbor from SF and sailed the Shaw Island Classic, which was more fun than PITCH.

From the Helm

Anarchist
Michigan
Sailed with 6 boats this weekend in Holland, MI doing some tuning, racing, practice and enjoying some high speed blasts down the harbor. This is a great boat, sailed in light and breeze conditions, in waves, salt water, and cold spring days. Nothing breaks, all the bits and pieces work like they are supposed to, we have fun with 2 or 3.

Looking forward to Nationals and then parking her in FL to race all winter.

sailhmb

half moon bay
Sailed with 6 boats this weekend in Holland, MI doing some tuning, racing, practice and enjoying some high speed blasts down the harbor. This is a great boat, sailed in light and breeze conditions, in waves, salt water, and cold spring days. Nothing breaks, all the bits and pieces work like they are supposed to, we have fun with 2 or 3.

Is it likely that the VX One NAC will be in the bay or out in Lake Michigan? What will the weather be like in mid September?

Rodfavela

Anarchist
Texas
Most likely outside in Lake Michigan.

Don't leave your warm clothes behind, if you don't have warmer gear, I know a guy..... ;)

Seriously, it can be beautiful weather, but we can have a front coming. We will be racing in fall season. The water is not that cold this year, but still stingy.

From the Helm

Anarchist
Michigan

Is it likely that the VX One NAC will be in the bay or out in Lake Michigan? What will the weather be like in mid September?
Water temps in Lake Mich have been really high so far this year, still 75 today. Expect water temps in high 60's unless wind is strong from East (rare occasion and great for racing).

Weather in September is less stable, you can have temps from 50's-70's, if waves are under 5' we'll race "outside" on the big lake. If they get over 5' they need to be from the right direction to allow us to get out on the lake. Lake Macatawa is big enough for good racing so we're not venue challenged. Also, the RC will go out in whatever wind the class wants. MBYC has a stout committee boat and RC that is not worried about weather.

sailhmb

half moon bay

The 2016 NAC was a great event. 23 entries. Strong wind for 3 days made for exciting runs and challenging upwind legs. The race venue was lovely and the race organizers all pro. The racers were all skilled and civil. This was an event where new owners and vets could get together and learn more about the boat, the national organization, and asymmetrical racing techniques. Thanks to all who worked behind the scene to pull this off.

Rodfavela

Anarchist
Texas
We have been quite for a while. Fleets are growing nationwide and want to let sailors in the Charleston area that the flee is growing strong and there is lots of enthusiasm looking forward to the North American Championship this coming fall.

Here is a good write up from a friend who saield the boat a couple of weeks ago in Newport, RI:

https://northsails.com/sailing/en/2018/07/my-first-time-on-a-vx-one  

The used boats are around $26k in top shape conditions, so it is getting even more affordable to jump in the class.

Rodfavela

Anarchist
Texas
UK Nationals report...what a great venue!

https://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/209566/VX-One-UK-Nationals-at-Torbay?source=email

yandy221159.jpg