What's in your arsenal??

boomer

Super Anarchist
PNW
If the slide on the CZ being thin was actually an issue, it wouldn't be one of the most successful handguns ever produced haha. Its really all about personal preference. Standing at a bench on the range, its never an issue for me, its while doing a practical shooting course when im tired and awkwardly posed and adrenaline is taking dexterity away from my hands that i notice the shallow slide, and really thats just a matter of training. If i wanted to put in the effort to get a CZ and practice with it and learn what it feels like under those conditions, i could for sure adapt to it, but it doesn't throw a rock different enough from my current pistol for me to spend that time and money. I love shooting other peoples though ^^

In summer 2012 Glock raised their MAP pricing on their base guns from $529, where it had been for about 10 years, to $539, where it stands today (afaik).
The 42 and 43 are MAP'd at 429 and 439, respectively. The 45acp and 10mm were a bit higher than 539, cant recall off the top of my head.
If you're paying over 6 for a standard Glock, you should shop around a bit more.
Glock started falling for this "iphone marketing" trend, a standard set, imo, by SIG (usa) where every year you've gotta have something new and flashy, that does the same thing, but its new!
"The SIG "new one"! This time its brown!"
Haha, and maybe they will give you a "challenge coin" and give you "exclusive rights" to buy overpriced crap from their website. But the gun is still just a P226. SIG makes 30.. 30! Different SKUs for the P226 and they are all the same damn gun haha.
Anyway, the point is, glock started messing up, imo, when they started putting in crappy additive backstraps to keep up with the S&W MP series, and started offering wacky cool colours to keep up with sig.
When really all a glock ever was supposed to be was the firearm equivalent to the Toyota Corolla. Its not flashy, no one brags that they have one, no one is talking about the "specs" but, its affordable and starts up and gets you to work every day reliability.
They should have just let the cold souless Austrian engineers continue to make black cost effective rectangles that made a bullet go forward reliability.

Im starting to rant a bit haha.

I have a glock 32 gen3, and a conversion barrel for .40sw 9mm and .22lr. Its nice to have one gun that shoots 4 calibers. I put a set of trijicon night sights on it, which i do to all my firearms, and its done haha.

Edit:
Oh, and i just had a thought. For your wife, maybe look into getting a red dot mount for her gun. A red dot i found provided a good handle for people that had issues racking a slide. Its made to be slammed backwards with the force of a bullet, so applying a few ft lbs of torque to it while racking isnt going to hurt a well made one.
My wife is small at 5.5' and a 119 lbs, yet she doesn't have a problem racking the CZ 75 P-01 since the upgrades. She did have difficulty racking her new Beretta PX4 Storm when I first bought it new - since breaking in the PX4, using the overhand push/pull method, she's become more accustomed to it. With tax Glocks are right at $600 here. However, it's not really about $$$ with us, when it comes to firearms. With my wife, it's about how the gun feels to grip it, both one handed and doubled handed, and how it handles firing it. She's more of a modern double action revolver type and has been so for many years, and it was at my urging that she took up familiarizing, owning and shooting semi-auto pistols. She's still more of a fan of her revolvers, but given time she appreciates semi-auto pistols more then she once did.

Last edited:

giegs

Arid
@boomer

How shot in was that P-01 before you Cajunized it? My NATO edition was incredibly stiff until I got maybe 1k through it and had worked the slide who knows how many times. One of those kits is on my list of things to eventually do, but I've been pleasantly surprised how everything has broken in.

boomer

Super Anarchist
PNW
Since it was my wife's gun, it didn't see a lot of range time when she first bought it, so not a lot of rounds through it when I did the upgrades. Since then, she's put maybe 400 rounds through it, and the gun now racks and cycles even more smoothly.

Coastal_Fox

New England
My wife is small at 5.5' and a 119 lbs, yet she doesn't have a problem racking the CZ 75 P-01 since the upgrades. She did have difficulty racking her new Beretta PX4 Storm when I first bought it new - since breaking in the PX4, using the overhand push/pull method, she's become more accustomed to it. With tax Glocks are right at $600 here.
>With tax
Ohhhh haha. That makes a lot more sense.
Glad you found a setup that works for her ^^
I had a Px4 sub compact, which didnt have the rotation barrel of its bigger brothers, and yeah, that thing was tight haha.

Have your ever met someone who hates the Px4 but loves the cougar series and then blow their mind by pointing out how is the same design, just with polymer in place of metal? Haha.

I want a ninety-two real bad sometimes.

Not for nothing

Super Anarchist
jupiter
just a flare pistol,

on another note, what gun/AR going to do in 2025, can it fix global warming/pollution, can it kill Virus ie: Covid, can it stop forest fires or extreme heat, or feed people when there's no food, and what about stopping hurricanes/tornado's (think Trump thought so) wait it will fix the stock/bond market. I hear they may keep the internet going, and heal the electric grid system or the gas shortage or stop WW3 ? Good video That says better than I could

Last edited:

boomer

Super Anarchist
PNW
>With tax
Ohhhh haha. That makes a lot more sense.
Glad you found a setup that works for her ^^
I had a Px4 sub compact, which didnt have the rotation barrel of its bigger brothers, and yeah, that thing was tight haha.

Have your ever met someone who hates the Px4 but loves the cougar series and then blow their mind by pointing out how is the same design, just with polymer in place of metal? Haha.

I want a ninety-two real bad sometimes.
Most everyone who didn't like the PX4, fell in love with it, once they got a chance to use it at the range. I note how many reviewers who said they didn't like the gun, however, were converts once they shot it. It's quite accurate in the rotating barrel version, no doubt due to quicker reacquiring the target, due to the lack of recoil and reduced muzzle flip - a fun gun to shoot.

Last edited:

Coastal_Fox

New England
Most everyone who didn't like the PX4, fell in love with it, once they got a chance to use it at the range. I note how many reviewers who said they didn't like the gun, however, were converts once they shot it. It's quite accurate in the rotating barrel version, no doubt due to quicker reacquiring the target, due to the lack of recoil and reduced muzzle flip - a fun gun to shoot.

At least around here, there was an unsubstantiated rumor that a local PD got them and the frames melted or something haha, so everyone just kept saying how bad they were with no first hand knowledge.
I find all new firearms, esp if there is a usage of a new material, are almost always panned at launch and need to earn their place haha.
Thats why i think its so funny to ask someone set in their ways "how do you like the Px4?" And get "Stupid gun! They fall apart and the rotating barrel died with colt!" And then ask "what do you think about the cougar 8000" and get "Great gun! They dont make 'em like that anymore ill tell ya!" Haha.

The subcompact was really good at recoil management. It was girthy and substantial and that kept the muzzle surprisingly under control at the (slight) expense of being a little heavy. Very accurate gun. The reason i dropped it was because its stoutness made it sit on my waist oddly and made for an awkward draw.
I carry IWB at the appendix, and there just wasnt enough grip on it (and most other sub compacts) to get a good positive wrap for the draw. Was an awkward "pull it out a smidgen, then get your fingers around it" situation. And since i have no problem concealing a G34 (not that i would) i didnt see the need or the benefit of having something that small for my personal situation.

pbd

Super Anarchist
Ca
Wow! It says that they violated the 14A (Due Process), to overstep the 2A, and that the Two Step Process that the Second and Ninth Circuit Courts use is not valid! This will probably shitcan California’s Assault Weapons Ban, Magazine Limits, The Roster, and the Ammo ID system, along with several others!
Ya gotta hope this is the case

We need to get internet ammo purchases back although I’ll miss doing regular business with my FFL, NOT

silent bob

Super Anarchist
New Jersey
Ya gotta hope this is the case

We need to get internet ammo purchases back although I’ll miss doing regular business with my FFL, NOT

All of the current laws haven’t stopped the criminals from getting and using guns and ammo! The current ammo law was built to be flawed, like the assault weapons registration. If your address gets put in as 123 1st. St., instead of 123 First Street, you get denied! Bacerra knew this, and even promoted it! Bonta is no better.

Then, LA’s DA George Gasćon (Aka Kermit the Frog) let’s a Felon In Possession of a Gun and Drugs off with no magor charges. This shithead went on to kill two cops less than a year later, during a domestic violence call. And Newsom and Bonta won’t call him on it!

Reactions: pbd

pbd

Super Anarchist
Ca
All of the current laws haven’t stopped the criminals from getting and using guns and ammo! The current ammo law was built to be flawed, like the assault weapons registration. If your address gets put in as 123 1st. St., instead of 123 First Street, you get denied! Bacerra knew this, and even promoted it! Bonta is no better.

Then, LA’s DA George Gasćon (Aka Kermit the Frog) let’s a Felon In Possession of a Gun and Drugs off with no magor charges. This shithead went on to kill two cops less than a year later, during a domestic violence call. And Newsom and Bonta won’t call him on it!
In a similar vein, during NY’s governor’s rant/meltdown over the ruling she said something along the lines of “because of this ruling, now people will be able to bring guns onto our subways and kill our citizens”. Did she mean just like Frank James did last month when their concealed carry restrictions were still in place?? Yeah that law was certainly working

Liquid

NFLTG
Over there
On a lighter note, the kid and his girl requested a shoot day at the range!

kids.jpg

Reactions: pbd

Liquid

NFLTG
Over there
Anyway...

I love my PX4 Storm, sub 4", DASA. It's a 'small' gun that grips and shoots big. It's what I do my training courses and can IWB carry it.

I and everybody that shoots it loves my legacy Beretta 92FS but I'm in the market for a 'modern', red dot ready, I hate to say it, striker fired gun, knowing out of the box I'm going to spend extra on achieving an acceptable trigger... My FFL is pimping the S&W M&P M2.0, 4.25" or 5" cause I won't buy a Glock!

Liquid

NFLTG
Over there
That looks like a really fun day! Precision shooting is the unsung hero of couples activities haha.
Thats a nice range too. Looks like a sturdy baffle.
50yds?

That's 50 - 100 yards, also her first rifle shots. We'll do the 2-300 yard range next!

I peeked in on the 600 yard range competition one evening. I recognized 1 of 16 long guns. Those fuckers dent the first bullet hole with all subsequent shots heard with target speakers and seen via camera feeds to the device of your choice! Not a suppressor to be heard or seen...

The club was established in 1940 among tree farms in the middle of nowhere. Now, it's surrounded 60% by residential housing! An over the burm 9mm can go about 1.7 miles and the club is no more. It's a club that is not easy to join but once in - !!!!!

Last edited:

Wet Spreaders

Super Anarchist
SF Bay
Internet seems to be conflicted about antique lever action lube - grease or oil on the bolt slides? Elsewhere? Modern replica manufacturer consensus seems to be "oil", but in the 1880's, I suspect that grease was more common. What's the recommendation of this august body?

Coastal_Fox

New England
Internet seems to be conflicted about antique lever action lube - grease or oil on the bolt slides? Elsewhere? Modern replica manufacturer consensus seems to be "oil", but in the 1880's, I suspect that grease was more common. What's the recommendation of this august body?
Grease is more prone to hold dirt and grime, become abrasive, build up and take tolerance away from moving parts, and in general, "gum up the works" or create a barrel obstruction. There is not a manufacturer on earth that would advise using grease in the action of a modern firearm (which includes lever actions from the late 1800s), but there are a lot of fudd lore proponents on the internet that will.

A light coating of oil, enough to show a sheen, but not as much that it would create a pool or trap dust and make mud, or leak into the chamber is all that is required in 99% of situations.
A high amount of malfunctions on the range can be attributed to over oiling.
Read your manual to see at what points of contact your mfg suggests applying a drop of oil. If you dont have the manual, most mfg have legacy manuals available as a pdf on their website, (keeping in mind that many models and designs from the 1800s are still in production today) and if they dont, a good rule of thumb is a toothpick dipped in oils worth applied to spots where wear is evident (such as seeing a strip of shiny metal), if you're using an open container such as a bottle of hoppes. Most purpose made oil applicators are a syringe to help prevent (or at least discourage) excessive application. Then just work the action to spread it.

You are correct that grease was used long ago because it was cheap and available, but gun oil can be had at most any walmart now for a few bucks, and is a much more proper lubricant for your firearm.

Hope that helps ^^

Edit:
If you are preserving a firearm with no intention to shoot it again; that would be an appropriate use of grease being used on it today. Especially if there is an uncommonly high exposure to salt air haha.
But i would leave instructions stored with it to clean it very thoroughly before use, incase you forget, or someone else takes possession of it.

Last edited:

Wet Spreaders

Super Anarchist
SF Bay
Stripped, cleaned, repaired a couple of cracks in the forearm wood (perfect, seamless, no wood refinishing needed) and reassembled the 1886 45-70 Winchester (built in 1894). First trip to the range today to sight in. Had an epiphany on Friday that it's probably not a good idea to have my face next to a newly rebuild piece of ancient history - hence the contraption of electrical conduit and 3D printed plastic. Shooting 3" groups using the rest at 50 yards and 4" when just using a block. 405 grain hard cast (1425 fps). Not special by modern standards, but porky pig better look out because I think I can ethically hunt with this thing.

The other barrel in the image is my friend loading his 1990's 30-30 replica. It was fun to be the only two guys at the range with iron sights.

IMG_1092.jpg