What's in your arsenal??

sledracr

Super Anarchist
PNW, ex-SoCal
 Probably not catastrophic, but not pretty.
Saw a kid with a brand-new .40 1911 at a match a couple of years back.

Somewhere during his run on a stage, heard "bang, bang, bang, <click>, BOOM"

post-mortem (on the gun - the shooter was fine) turned up that he had accidentally loaded a 9mm round into his mag.  The "click" was the firing pin knocking the round about halfway down the barrel, the BOOM was the next 40 round being lit off behind it.

Impressive damage to the gun (pretty much had to hammer it apart to clear it).  Equally impressive, no lost bodily-fluids.

With rifle rounds, that kind of accident would be harder to do... but the pressures would make it messy.

Last edited by a moderator:

sledracr

Super Anarchist
PNW, ex-SoCal
 6.5mm caliber (.260 Rem).  1000 yds on a moderate wind day is almost boring.  
Yup.  I run .260 Rem through both a gas-gun (a re-barreled LR-308) and bolt gun (a rebarreled Rem-700 PSS sitting in an AICS chassis).  compared to .308, they're laser beams.

Next time I rebarrel I may switch to 6.5 Creedmore.  Or not, don't know.  The 6.5 seems marginally better, ballistically, and easier to get to velocity without pressure signs, but I have my .260Rem loads pretty sorted.

G

Yup.  I run .260 Rem through both a gas-gun (a re-barreled LR-308) and bolt gun (a rebarreled Rem-700 PSS sitting in an AICS chassis).  compared to .308, they're laser beams.

Next time I rebarrel I may switch to 6.5 Creedmore.  Or not, don't know.  The 6.5 seems marginally better, ballistically, and easier to get to velocity without pressure signs, but I have my .260Rem loads pretty sorted.
Hmmm, interesting.  I have a .308 GAP-10 rifle that I'm about to rebarrel to a 6.5CM.  I thought about rebarreling it in .260Rem since I already have the dies and brass.  But I don't like mixing brass among different rifles given the chamber differences.  And since 6.5CM is easy to get decent factory match ammo, I thought that would be a bonus for those plinking days when I don't want to bother reloading.  

How does the .260 (or 6.5CM) run in gas gun?  Reliable feed?  I recall at a Tac match a few years back this guy had a .260 gasser that would jam pretty much every 5th round or so.  He was very frustrated needless to say.

Last edited:
G

That's odd.  I have the exact opposite observed experience.  My shooting partner is running two bolt rifles in a 6.5CM and I have a .260 AI-AT.  Same barrel length at 26".  I can easily get mid to high 2800s with 140 gr (Berger Hybrid) with no pressure signs while he struggles to get high 2700s with the same powder and bullet in his 6.5CM.  The .260 has a slight bigger case capacity, so in theory should be able to get more velocity with the same pressure.  And that's what I'm seeing in practice.  

We both shoot suppressed, so I wonder if its a difference in the cans?  

sledracr

Super Anarchist
PNW, ex-SoCal
How does the .260 (or 6.5CM) run in gas gun?  Reliable feed? 
Yes, with some asterisks.  You can't load longer than magazine length, obviously, and you have to play with buffers and springs and adjustable gas-blocks to get things running, like you would with any gas gun   But when it is set up, it runs-and-runs-and-runs, it shoots softer than a bolt gun and much easier to shoot fast.  The only issue I've had - and it's only happened a couple of times - is popping a primer out of the bottom of the case, which is a non-issue in a bolt gun but can tie things up in a gas-gun, expecially if the primer makes its way down into the trigger space.

JP rifles (www.jprifles.com) are the pros from Dover when it comes to sorting things out, and their cryo-treated barrels are amazing.

G

Yes, with some asterisks.  You can't load longer than magazine length, obviously, and you have to play with buffers and springs and adjustable gas-blocks to get things running, like you would with any gas gun   But when it is set up, it runs-and-runs-and-runs, it shoots softer than a bolt gun and much easier to shoot fast.  The only issue I've had - and it's only happened a couple of times - is popping a primer out of the bottom of the case, which is a non-issue in a bolt gun but can tie things up in a gas-gun, expecially if the primer makes its way down into the trigger space.

JP rifles (www.jprifles.com) are the pros from Dover when it comes to sorting things out, and their cryo-treated barrels are amazing.
Haha, Great minds think alike.  I was planning on a JP barrel for this 6.5CM build.  I rebarreled a .223 precision rifle (Mk12 Mod 0 clone) a while back with a JP barrel / bolt and its been a death dot ever since.  Love JP stuff!

Last edited:

Charlie Foxtrot

Super Anarchist
Floriduh
How would the .300Blk even chamber???  The bullet would jam in the throat of the 5.56 and never fire.  The other way around (5.56 round in a .300BO) would be a bitch, though.  Probably not catastrophic, but not pretty.
Unfortunately, there are too many documented cases of firing a 300 BLK in a .223/ 5.56 barrel.  With some bullet setback it is just possible to chamber the 300 BLK round. Pulling the trigger destroys the rifle and can hurt the shooter.  So far, there have been no serious injuries, but the 300 BLK community fears it's only time... 

The attached picture is the result of a very accomplished shooter chambering a 300 BLK in a 5.56 pistol: the gun was destroyed and he received minor injuries.  You can see the bullet has been fired-formed to roughly 5 times its original length. Then the case web blew out, dumping the pressurized hot gases into the receivers and destroying the firearm.  The shooter didn't believe it was possible -- until he inadvertently proved himself wrong. 

An article about the phenomena: 300 BLK KABOOM!

iu

Firing a .223/ 5.56 in a 300 BLK barrel just leads to a lot of gas bypassing the bullet rattling down the barrel -- loud, but not particularly dangerous. 

I work REALLY hard at keeping 5.56 and 300 BLK completely separated. 

G

Unfortunately, there are too many documented cases of firing a 300 BLK in a .223/ 5.56 barrel.  With some bullet setback it is just possible to chamber the 300 BLK round. Pulling the trigger destroys the rifle and can hurt the shooter.  So far, there have been no serious injuries, but the 300 BLK community fears it's only time... 

The attached picture is the result of a very accomplished shooter chambering a 300 BLK in a 5.56 pistol: the gun was destroyed and he received minor injuries.  You can see the bullet has been fired-formed to roughly 5 times its original length. Then the case web blew out, dumping the pressurized hot gases into the receivers and destroying the firearm.  The shooter didn't believe it was possible -- until he inadvertently proved himself wrong. 

An article about the phenomena: 300 BLK KABOOM!

Firing a .223/ 5.56 in a 300 BLK barrel just leads to a lot of gas bypassing the bullet rattling down the barrel -- loud, but not particularly dangerous. 

I work REALLY hard at keeping 5.56 and 300 BLK completely separated. 
Hmmmmm, I did not know that.  I assumed it would be physically impossible to chamber a .308 bullet into the throat of a .223.  I'm guessing the bullet hits the throat and is setback into the case body itself while the case neck gets squeezed back down to .223 diameter since there is no bullet any longer holding it out.  I wonder if this happens mostly in subsonic loads where there is likely very little powder in the case?  

I have both calibers.... I will be much more diligent now in the future.  

slatfatf

Super Anarchist
Hmmmmm, I did not know that.  I assumed it would be physically impossible to chamber a .308 bullet into the throat of a .223.  I'm guessing the bullet hits the throat and is setback into the case body itself while the case neck gets squeezed back down to .223 diameter since there is no bullet any longer holding it out.  I wonder if this happens mostly in subsonic loads where there is likely very little powder in the case?  

Max case length on the .300blk comes to below the shoulder on the 223, so the case would not even be squeezed. It is easier than one would think to chamber it in a .223 barrel. 

Charlie Foxtrot

Super Anarchist
Floriduh

I've been looking for a line diagram I saw that superimposes a 300 BLK cartridge (125gr if I remember correctly) with the 5.56 chamber. Chilling. A couple of thous of slop and the bolt would close effortlessly.  

I don't allow 5.56 and 300 BLK guns, mags or ammo to be on the shooting bench at the same time. They are separated as much as humanly possible.  And, I STILL know I'm going to eff it up.  As much as I appreciate the 300 BLK - my truck SHTF pistol will be my only 300. 

mad

Super Anarchist
A quick shopping trip and the new purchase is made. 

434C2EEF-EA70-4874-9A73-85758AC649E2.jpeg

DB3B042B-897C-46CE-A7E9-6D49B6326286.jpeg I like the new recoil pad design, not something I’d seen before, specifically right or left handed.

3BA2BF84-5D9E-4D73-8BAB-BE56BE0ECEC7.jpeg

Dorado

Super Anarchist
Nice

Now go see a gun fitter and have them adjust your shims for drop, pull, and sidecast. This is essential for peak performance. 

Autonomous

Super Anarchist
PNW
A quick shopping trip and the new purchase is made. 

View attachment 344692

View attachment 344693 I like the new recoil pad design, not something I’d seen before, specifically right or left handed.

View attachment 344694
Looks nice.  Do you shoot clay or birds?

I tried hunting pheasants years ago but did not really enjoy it even though they tasted good.  My gun was a lowly Western Auto branded 3 shot bolt action 12 gauge.

Autonomous

Super Anarchist
PNW
I am buying a new to me paper punch.  It is a Springfield Armory Professional, the only gun that passed the rigorous FBI trials for a swat-HRT team weapon conducted in the late 90s.

SA is still making them for the public but this one was built at the tail end (2013) of the FBI contract.

Sister ship, not actual photo.

411540169.jpg

mad

Super Anarchist
Looks nice.  Do you shoot clay or birds?

I tried hunting pheasants years ago but did not really enjoy it even though they tasted good.  My gun was a lowly Western Auto branded 3 shot bolt action 12 gauge.
Mostly clays, English sporting, skeet etc. I’m more of a sport shooter, but I don’t mind partridge or duck as a tasty snack. 

My other shotgun is an O/U, really nice for all the above, but not proofed for steel or big loads (fixed chokes) and too nice to get covered in mud and water. 

mad

Super Anarchist
I am buying a new to me paper punch.  It is a Springfield Armory Professional, the only gun that passed the rigorous FBI trials for a swat-HRT team weapon conducted in the late 90s.

SA is still making them for the public but this one was built at the tail end (2013) of the FBI contract.

Sister ship, not actual photo.

411540169.jpg
1911?

I’d really to have a classic pistol or 2, unfortunately banned in the UK.