What's in your arsenal??

Charlie Foxtrot

Super Anarchist
Floriduh
Love the old iron - they have soul!

iu

This is a sistership to the Remington 241 Speedmaster rifle my Grandfather used to help feed his family during the Great Depression. Rabbits were then plentiful in the alfalfa fields of South Gate, CA. It shot 22 Shorts, Longs and Long Rifle rimfire cartridges. Important, as Shorts were about 1/4 of a cent cheaper than the 22LRs; which was a lot of money when you didn't have any.  The magazine was in the butt stock, it ejected out of the bottom of the receiver, it had a takedown barrel and the 24" length made it very quiet. Family tradition had it as being extremely accurate. 

Several years ago it was given to me for safe-keeping. It's the Clan's Heritage Firearm; my responsibility, but definitely not mine.  

I found the action was all but frozen. As part of the preservation process, the gun was torn down and thoroughly cleaned. The old oil had turned to varnish and almost completely  gummed up the action and the lockwork. Apparently, Gramps hadn't touched his favorite rifle after his electrical contracting firm took off installing electrical plugs for the new-fangled wireless talking telegraphs (radios.) After the 70 years of varnish was removed, the action was as slick as the day it was made, everything else was in perfect working order. Curiosity led me into temptation - and the range - where I found the ol' girl was still able to shoot mouse-ears at 25 yards; a three shot group in the center of the bullseye that a dime could easily cover.   

This firearm is still being made as the Browning SA-22. I might just have to get one so I can add to the Clan's Heritage Collection.

sshow bob

Super Anarchist
Maine
I talked an old college friend from Atlanta through the process of selecting his first handgun yesterday. He went to his LGS and after waiting 2.5 hours to get in his choices were limited to the printed choices. He left with the Springfield. (My recommendation had been an M&P Shield EZ. His wife has small hands) The store was totally cleared out by the time he left. I have drilled into him the need to practice but I don't know when he will have that option. 

Stopped by my LGS to get some 9mm.  All out. They had this SR1911 consignment for cheap, so I rescued it. I figured I needed to be able to talk my friend through things so I ought to have one in hand... yeah, that's it. 

Still pining for a Coonan in .357

signal-2020-03-20-144432.jpg

20200320_165909.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlie Foxtrot

Super Anarchist
Floriduh
Yah, the 50th anniversary of the 10/22 was about 5 years ago. But you can get basically the same rifle as a Distributor Exclusive.  I think Davidson does these special runs. 

https://ruger.com/products/1022Carbine/specSheets/31115.html

The stock is the tits. The black rear comes off and you can put in one with a longer length of pull and a cheek rest for use with an optic. Ruger is now making a Custom Shop competition 10/22 which is supposed to be one hole accurate.  It's about $800 street.  Ruger.com 
Billy Backstay: And what to my wondering eyes did appear:

image.png

CDNN has them on sale for $250!      https://www.cdnnsports.com/rugerr-10-22r-22lr-copper-mica-stock.html?___SID=U

Charlie Foxtrot

Super Anarchist
Floriduh
I talked an old college friend from Atlanta through the process of selecting his first handgun yesterday. He went to his LGS and after waiting 2.5 hours to get in his choices were limited to the printed choices. He left with the Springfield. (My recommendation had been an M&P Shield EZ. His wife has small hands) The store was totally cleared out by the time he left. I have drilled into him the need to practice but I don't know when he will have that option. 

Stopped by my LGS to get some 9mm.  All out. They had this SR1911 consignment for cheap, so I rescued it. I figured I needed to be able to talk my friend through things so I ought to have one in hand... yeah, that's it. 

View attachment 352902
Congrats, SShow Bob! Fine firearm!

Just remember, the 1911 is an experts gun, so your learning curve is going to be pretty steep. The light, single-action trigger can and does bite the unaware. I'd get some new-1911-shooter training.  Always and excellent base for a shooting career; plus, it's essential for safe gun handling skills.  

Congratulations again!

PS: I own a 1911, which I use in the SASS Wild Bunch competitions. If you have questions about the 'Leventy, feel free to drop me a line.

Point Break

Super Anarchist
Long Beach, California

View attachment 352902
Congrats, SShow Bob! Fine firearm!

Just remember, the 1911 is an experts gun, so your learning curve is going to be pretty steep. The light, single-action trigger can and does bite the unaware. I'd get some new-1911-shooter training.  Always and excellent base for a shooting career; plus, it's essential for safe gun handling skills.  

Congratulations again!

PS: I own a 1911, which I use in the SASS Wild Bunch competitions. If you have questions about the 'Leventy, feel free to drop me a line.
I have to say, I have always admired and had affection for the 1911 configuration aesthetically. The military version was the first (and only) handgun I ever fired. I just liked the weight and feel. The ones we had in the early 70's were ancient. Bet I could still field strip one though..................

Charlie Foxtrot

Super Anarchist
Floriduh
I have to say, I have always admired and had affection for the 1911 configuration aesthetically. The military version was the first (and only) handgun I ever fired. I just liked the weight and feel. The ones we had in the early 70's were ancient. Bet I could still field strip one though..................
You know da Gubermint is selling off their surplus 1911s through the CMP? About $800, as far as I can recall. Too rich for my blood, but a lot of shooters cherish those old warriors. 

And the 'Leventy is the only gun I actually like to field strip and clean.  Good thing too, as you should do it every time you shoot it.  ;)

Point Break

Super Anarchist
Long Beach, California
You know da Gubermint is selling off their surplus 1911s through the CMP? About $800, as far as I can recall. Too rich for my blood, but a lot of shooters cherish those old warriors. 

And the 'Leventy is the only gun I actually like to field strip and clean.  Good thing too, as you should do it every time you shoot it.  ;)
I had heard that but my showing days are long long behind me. I will admit in the current environment and while contemplating the potential for some dystopian collapse of society......or more realistically a bit of civil unrest :lol: ......I once again pondered the virtues of owning a handgun. Once again I decided against it. I do gaze with appreciation at the old Colt Python revolver though..........

sshow bob

Super Anarchist
Maine
Thanks guys. This is first 1911 I have owned, but not the first I have shot. Won't claim expertise but I have some operational familiarity. The ones I have shot most have had match triggers much lighter than this one. This is factory weight, though polished silky smooth and with the over-travel dialed down. 

The one I have shot most is the unicorn Coonan chambered in .357 for when you absolutely need to kill the guy behind the truck behind the guy in front of you. Somehow it is magically both a tank main gun and smooth and sweet to shoot, with no muzzle flip and a long slow recoil impulse. Fire comes out the end, and you have the real sense of its power, and then you reset the trigger and it's still on the target. Love that thing. 

White Lightning2

Anarchist
PNW
Thanks guys. This is first 1911 I have owned, but not the first I have shot. Won't claim expertise but I have some operational familiarity. The ones I have shot most have had match triggers much lighter than this one. This is factory weight, though polished silky smooth and with the over-travel dialed down. 

The one I have shot most is the unicorn Coonan chambered in .357 for when you absolutely need to kill the guy behind the truck behind the guy in front of you. Somehow it is magically both a tank main gun and smooth and sweet to shoot, with no muzzle flip and a long slow recoil impulse. Fire comes out the end, and you have the real sense of its power, and then you reset the trigger and it's still on the target. Love that thing. 
These two don't come out to play often. But when they do, they attract a crowd

8354-DEFAULT-l.jpg

34.jpg

sledracr

Super Anarchist
PNW, ex-SoCal
I'm a petty, petty man.

After watching the liberal mob vote in Bloomberg's list of wet-dream gun laws here in Washington State.... now that the zombie apocalypse is a real possibility many of those same liberal voters are thinking they'd like to own a gun.  Just in case.

And they're shocked - SHOCKED - that they can't order one online and have it shipped to the house, like the politicians told them people could do.

When the go to the gunstore and find out about paperwork, background checks, waiting periods... they're downright dismayed.

Maybe, just maybe, they'll think about that next time they decide to vote for something just because a talking head on TV told them that buying a gun was "too easy" and required stricter laws.

White Lightning2

Anarchist
PNW
1900 ftlbs.  I hope it's well balanced!
The Freedom Arms is a beautifully machined work of art with very tight tolerances. Pulling the hammer back is like listening to the tumblers on a lock. Only revolver I've ever fired  that requires two hands for all loads.

The Alaskan is just punishing. But if the bear is on you, you hope you can get your hand on it long enough to make a difference.

WL

warbird

Super Anarchist
lake michigan
15848538140354463689506773617736.jpg 15848537463491105099899546773245.jpg 15848540946857739425690174858223.jpg 15848536255408309949830800287755.jpg 15848537463491105099899546773245.jpg 15848536255408309949830800287755.jpg 15848536868405053879550259198756.jpg Old atyle pistol box. Pistols retained either side of central ammo and cleaning supply compartment. Each pistol, nestled in a side rack jas a dowel through the trigger guard so it cannot be removed. The compartment is lockable so the firearm cannot be freed from the box unless you have a key for the compartment.