What's in your arsenal??

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
Gotta love SA, you can always learn something new here. 
I’d not seen one of those before. 

edit,

Just Googled them, I can see why they fell out of favour, especially with internal chokes. 

Yes, that's what it looks like.  

And as to Ed's vasectomy, I remember that it smelled just like a yummy steak on the Barbie, when they lasered the vas deferens, or whatever it' called... As I was preparing to leave, I told the nurses that it was a piece of cake, walk in the  park and can we do it again?  They laughed!

billy backstay

I'm the Clan's caretaker for a 1849 Colt Pocket Pistol that a GreatX uncle carried during the Civil War while aboard a Union warship. I've been itching to have it repaired and send a few balls downrange to honor the ancestors.  However, the two gunsmiths I've taken it to strongly advised against shooting a relic of that age. The metallurgy wasn't that good back then, and age hasn't improved the early steel.  They recommend getting a modern reproduction to have my fun.  

There are several beautiful Italian reproduction of the 1851 Navy.  https://www.ubertireplicas.com/product/1851-navy/

Charlie,  Can't you use a lighter load, or black powder to safely use this antique handgun?  I also have an antique 12 gauge side by side on display, but it's Damascus steel barrel will not stand up to modern shells, and needs to be black powder only.  I bought it for 50 bucks from a Real Estate client 30 something years aqo, when the kids were little, and Missus BB made me remove the firing pins, in order to allow me to display it on a wall.  I think it's from the 1800's.  At the time, I took it to a local guy who was an expert, and had lots of books, and he found it listed in a book, but that was over 30 years ago..

mad

Super Anarchist
Yes, that's what it looks like.  

And as to Ed's vasectomy, I remember that it smelled just like a yummy steak on the Barbie, when they lasered the vas deferens, or whatever it' called... As I was preparing to leave, I told the nurses that it was a piece of cake, walk in the  park and can we do it again?  They laughed!
Fucker, sitting here with my legs closed and my eyes watering........ and I hope to fuck I never to have that mental image when I cook my next steak.  <_<

mad

Super Anarchist
Charlie,  Can't you use a lighter load, or black powder to safely use this antique handgun?  I also have an antique 12 gauge side by side on display, but it's Damascus steel barrel will not stand up to modern shells, and needs to be black powder only.  I bought it for 50 bucks from a Real Estate client 30 something years aqo, when the kids were little, and Missus BB made me remove the firing pins, in order to allow me to display it on a wall.  I think it's from the 1800's.  At the time, I took it to a local guy who was an expert, and had lots of books, and he found it listed in a book, but that was over 30 years ago..
Put that in a vice with a very long string on trigger before you try that one......and film it please.  :p

Charlie Foxtrot

Super Anarchist
Floriduh
Charlie,  Can't you use a lighter load, or black powder to safely use this antique handgun?  I also have an antique 12 gauge side by side on display, but it's Damascus steel barrel will not stand up to modern shells, and needs to be black powder only.  I bought it for 50 bucks from a Real Estate client 30 something years aqo, when the kids were little, and Missus BB made me remove the firing pins, in order to allow me to display it on a wall.  I think it's from the 1800's.  At the time, I took it to a local guy who was an expert, and had lots of books, and he found it listed in a book, but that was over 30 years ago...
As the gunsmith 'spained it to me, the old steel will often develop iron crystals with use and age. That condition can destroy any strength in the metal.  A charge strong enough to force a lead ball down and out the barrel could be strong enough to destroy the cylinder and the gun. Not worth threatening the Clan's heirloom -- or my hand. 

As for Damascus barrels... they're formed by hammering steel wire together on a mandrel - and it can be as sketchy as it sounds. Fortunately, shotgun shells are innately much lower pressure, black powder ones even more so.  After a gunsmith gives it a good going over it should be fine to be occasionally shot. However, modern guns are so much better, safer and cheaper, I'd leave the old warrior on the wall. (Good call taking out the firing pins with tykes around.)  BTW: I appraised a Fox SxS made before the war, it was worth about $1.5k even in somewhat fair shape -- 5 years ago.  You might have some money on the wall.

At one of our SASS matches we had a new pard show up. After three stages, I got a good look at his SxS shotgun and immediately called a Cease Fire! He was using his Grandpappy's splattergun with modern shells -- and Damascus barrels. He wasn't at all happy to be told he couldn't shoot the gun, and was only slightly mollified when we told him he was damn lucky to still have a hand and a face.  Another pard lent him a shotgun, and he grumpily finished the match. Some people....

Last edited by a moderator:

mad

Super Anarchist
As the gunsmith 'spained it to me, the old steel will often develop iron crystals with age and use. That condition can destroy any strength in the metal.  A charge strong enough to force a lead ball down the barrel could be strong enough to destroy the cylinder and the gun. Not worth threatening the Clan's heirloom -- or my hand. 

As for Damascus barrels... they're formed by hammering steel wire together on a mandrel - and it can be as sketchy as it sounds. Fortunately, shogun shells are innately lower pressure, black powder ones even more so.  After a gunsmith gives it a good going over it should be fine to be occasionally shot. However, modern guns are so much better, safer and cheaper, I'd leave the old warrior on the wall. (Good call taking out the firing pins with tykes around.)

At one of our SASS matches we had a new pard show up. After three stages, I got a good look at his SxS shotgun and immediately called a Cease Fire! He was using his Grandpappy's splattergun with modern shells -- and Damascus barrels. He wasn't happy at all to being told he couldn't shoot the gun, and was only slightly mollified when we told him he was damn lucky to still have a hand and a face.  Another pard lent him a shotgun, and he grumpily finished the match. Some people....
Good call on stopping that one!! That’s pretty scary, especially if wasn’t aware and had lent it to a kid!!

Also worth noting, older black powders are generally way more corrosive than modern ones. Clean the barrel(s) properly. 

mad

Super Anarchist
As the gunsmith 'spained it to me, the old steel will often develop iron crystals with age and use. That condition can destroy any strength in the metal.  A charge strong enough to force a lead ball down the barrel could be strong enough to destroy the cylinder and the gun. Not worth threatening the Clan's heirloom -- or my hand. 

As for Damascus barrels... they're formed by hammering steel wire together on a mandrel - and it can be as sketchy as it sounds. Fortunately, shogun shells are innately lower pressure, black powder ones even more so.  After a gunsmith gives it a good going over it should be fine to be occasionally shot. However, modern guns are so much better, safer and cheaper, I'd leave the old warrior on the wall. (Good call taking out the firing pins with tykes around.)

At one of our SASS matches we had a new pard show up. After three stages, I got a good look at his SxS shotgun and immediately called a Cease Fire! He was using his Grandpappy's splattergun with modern shells -- and Damascus barrels. He wasn't happy at all to being told he couldn't shoot the gun, and was only slightly mollified when we told him he was damn lucky to still have a hand and a face.  Another pard lent him a shotgun, and he grumpily finished the match. Some people....
For those few that maybe interested, Damascus barrels.  Heard of them, but had to google the process. It’s definitely not a home hobby that for sure. 

https://youtu.be/K7eacS2oDcs

Charlie Foxtrot

Super Anarchist
Floriduh
Good call on stopping that one!! That’s pretty scary, especially if wasn’t aware and had lent it to a kid!!

Also worth noting, older black powders are generally way more corrosive than modern ones. Clean the barrel(s) properly. 
Nah, it's actually a SASS rule: NO Damascus barrels - even if you're using black powder shells. I was just the first to recognize the barrel's construction.

Yep, black powder is bad juju. The guns get cleaned immediately after shooting with a hot water and Ballistol douche.  When I shoot BP, it's always with a BP substitute, in reality Ascorbic acid - Vitamin C. Much better for the guns. Much better for me.  :rolleyes:

mainsheetsister

Super Anarchist
Good information about the integrity of the metal over time.  Takes away my temptation to try to fire it.

76695075_2498433370481357_5660257916733620224_n.jpg

Charlie Foxtrot

Super Anarchist
Floriduh
Good information about the integrity of the metal over time.  Takes away my temptation to try to fire it.

View attachment 333202
BEAUTIFUL piece!

And MSS, I believe that's a Remington 1858 New Army or Navy. The Navy was in a .36 caliber, the Army shot a .44 ball. Remingtons had the solid top design which was much stronger than the Colt's.  I'm no expert, but I think the 5 1/2 barrel makes it less common and more desirable to a collector.

billy backstay

chinabald

Super Anarchist
As the gunsmith 'spained it to me, the old steel will often develop iron crystals with use and age. That condition can destroy any strength in the metal.  A charge strong enough to force a lead ball down and out the barrel could be strong enough to destroy the cylinder and the gun. Not worth threatening the Clan's heirloom -- or my hand. 

As for Damascus barrels... they're formed by hammering steel wire together on a mandrel - and it can be as sketchy as it sounds. Fortunately, shotgun shells are innately much lower pressure, black powder ones even more so.  After a gunsmith gives it a good going over it should be fine to be occasionally shot. However, modern guns are so much better, safer and cheaper, I'd leave the old warrior on the wall. (Good call taking out the firing pins with tykes around.)  BTW: I appraised a Fox SxS made before the war, it was worth about $1.5k even in somewhat fair shape -- 5 years ago.  You might have some money on the wall.

At one of our SASS matches we had a new pard show up. After three stages, I got a good look at his SxS shotgun and immediately called a Cease Fire! He was using his Grandpappy's splattergun with modern shells -- and Damascus barrels. He wasn't at all happy to be told he couldn't shoot the gun, and was only slightly mollified when we told him he was damn lucky to still have a hand and a face.  Another pard lent him a shotgun, and he grumpily finished the match. Some people....
What is a sass match? 

Charlie Foxtrot

Super Anarchist
Floriduh
What is a sass match? 
Opps, sorry.  SASS: Single Action Shooting Society.  AKA: Cowboy Action Shooting. It's a timed match, employing 2 single action pistols (from whence the sport gets its name), a lever action rifle, and a shotgun. All firearms must be -- roughly -- from the time of about 1850 through 1903 and manually operated (no Mauser Broomhandles.) Competitors dress in -- roughly -- period correct clothing.  They shoot a variety of steel targets with real bullets, with scoring based on time, additional seconds added for misses or other infractions.  There are only two basic guiding principles: Have fun and don't hurt nobody.  All else follows.

Quite frankly, it's the most fun you can have with your spurs on.