What's the deal with California telling me PFDs cause cancer?

Schnappi

yes, but if you drown,  wouldn't get the chance to die from cancer, so I guess they've got a point.

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
Proposition 65 warning got you down again?

Do what everyone else does. Ignore it. IT has no useful meaning. IT is plastered on everything to preemptively protect you from lawsuits.

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
Yep.
image.png

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
OFFS
All based on junk science. That's the problem with CA. They don't vet with good science. They believe the worst often junk science studies. image.png

MR.CLEAN

Not here
OFFS
All based on junk science. That's the problem with CA. They don't vet with good science. They believe the worst often junk science studies.
IS this junk?

Styrene is widely used in the manufacture of synthetic rubber, resins, polyesters and plastics. Styrene and the primary metabolite styrene-7,8-oxide are genotoxic and carcinogenic. Long-term chemical carcinogenesis bioassays showed that styrene caused lung cancers in several strains of mice and mammary cancers in rats and styrene-7,8-oxide caused tumours of the forestomach in rats and mice and of the liver in mice. Subsequent epidemiologic studies found styrene workers had increased mortality or incidences of lymphohematopoietic cancers (leukaemia or lymphoma or all), with suggestive evidence for pancreatic and esophageal tumours. No adequate human studies are available for styrene-7,8-oxide although this is the primary and active epoxide metabolite of styrene. Both are genotoxic and form DNA adducts in humans.

Go to:

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
IS this junk?

Styrene is widely used in the manufacture of synthetic rubber, resins, polyesters and plastics. Styrene and the primary metabolite styrene-7,8-oxide are genotoxic and carcinogenic. Long-term chemical carcinogenesis bioassays showed that styrene caused lung cancers in several strains of mice and mammary cancers in rats and styrene-7,8-oxide caused tumours of the forestomach in rats and mice and of the liver in mice. Subsequent epidemiologic studies found styrene workers had increased mortality or incidences of lymphohematopoietic cancers (leukaemia or lymphoma or all), with suggestive evidence for pancreatic and esophageal tumours. No adequate human studies are available for styrene-7,8-oxide although this is the primary and active epoxide metabolite of styrene. Both are genotoxic and form DNA adducts in humans.

Go to:
Yes. In this context. Most definitely.
Even when building boats, styrene exposure when done in normal ways is not carcinogenic,.
We don't have "cancer clusters" around every fiberglass shop.

Note that it causes trouble in mouse studies, Specifically mentions no adequate human studies. for 7,8 oxide.. and then the sort of business about adduct and genotoxicity.
That sounds bad until you look at what else does that all the friggin time. Like all sorts of "natural" stuff....

Last edited by a moderator:

spankoka

Super Anarchist
Actually,  new car smell is a real health hazard for commercial drivers who are in the new car for fifty hours a week. I do not think my PFD is the same risk as I am obviously using it in the presence of lots of fresh air. 

California doesn't dissociate finished goods carcinogenicity from the feedstock/production process carcinogenicity. So, if you happen to be on fire while wearing a PFD, the melting styrene might give you cancer if you breathed the fumes for 8hrs a day for several years while being on fire. 

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
IF you want to do styrene

Actually,  new car smell is a real health hazard for commercial drivers who are in the new car for fifty hours a week. I do not think my PFD is the same risk as I am obviously using it in the presence of lots of fresh air. 
I hate new car smell in large doses. IT is pthalates. Take crappy cheap polymers and add small moelcules to them to make them get the target durometer. That's the Walmart smell. Also new shower curtains.

Nobody debates the problems with these things but California's ham-fisted litigious-enabled approach leads to a loss of credibility. And that is a real crime.
We could be making progress to better products. Instead we just get labels. Because if you are going to make "amusement parks" a "hazardous chemical category" well then it is off the reservation. Once product acceptance is assured even with a label (it is) then it is easier that way.

spankoka

Super Anarchist
Sawmill workers actually do get occupational lung diseases from sawdust. I'm pretty sure if your goal is just to be handy if you can't be handsome, it's not such a hazard.