What's the story behind the (sunken?) twin-masted boat south of the SM Bridge in Foster City?

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
Remember, your goal as a sailor is to never, NEVER, have a rock named after you.
If you're not hitting rocks, you're not racing.

Hopefully not that hard; and/or only rocks that somebody else has already hit and named. Yes?

Different for your area, around here there are no rocks to hit except for the rare artificial jetty at some channel mouths.

Chris in Santa Cruz CA

Super Anarchist
earths surface
If you're not hitting rocks, you're not racing.
ooohhhhhh, I don't know, I once looked down off the port rail of an Express 37 as we tried to clear Alcatraz to windward on Stbd tack in light air without tacking and looking at rock 1.5 meters to leeward and .5 meters below the surface is a pucker moment I did not enjoy.

Foolish

Super Anarchist
Victoria, BC
ooohhhhhh, I don't know, I once looked down off the port rail of an Express 37 as we tried to clear Alcatraz to windward on Stbd tack in light air without tacking and looking at rock 1.5 meters to leeward and .5 meters below the surface is a pucker moment I did not enjoy.
1.5 meters to leeward? You could have adjusted your course by 1.4 meters to get a better line?

floater

Super Duper Anarchist
quivira regnum
ooph. that is exactly the rock that came to mind..

somewhere there is a photo of a stinkpot high and dry on that thing.

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
1.5 meters to leeward? You could have adjusted your course by 1.4 meters to get a better line?
Ha!
From what I hear, you're lucky there wasn't a J-105 trying to drive between you and the rock.

rstone

Mobile, AL
Off center companionway.
Now you know the rest of the story.

_20220927_175340.JPG

Chris in Santa Cruz CA

Super Anarchist
earths surface
Ha!
From what I hear, you're lucky there wasn't a J-105 trying to drive between you and the rock.
Thats funny, this was the 90's and it was a one design fleet. Without the updated deeper rudder we were seriously handicapped along with the others without the hot rudder. It was like two fleets really. That's how much impact that update had. It didn't hurt that the top 4-5 boats were also very well sailed and rarely made any errors. Good fleet overall. No J109 silliness at all.