What's up with that?

Thorvald

Puget Sound
I've been sizing wire for my new mast on my Garden yawl. Got it all figured out per Skene's but then when I look around on the web a bit I see values substantially lower than what Skene's gives. For instance 1/4 " wire per Skene's is 8200# but only 6900# per Worst Marine and a few others. Defender has all the old values that I'm familiar with. WM has 316 stainless and 304 at the same values, others say 316 is less. Defender has 316 at the same values as Skene's. So basically it depends who you ask. I'm inclined to just go with the Skene's values and forget the rest since we've been using it for all these years. Has anyone else noticed this?

Figment

Super Anarchist
high and dry
A few years ago when shopping for some blocks and other hardware I noticed that they publish lower load numbers than others.

At the time I assumed that they were trying to get people to bump up to the next (more costly) size, but that could just be wild paranoia I suppose.

Soñadora

Super Anarchist
I would guess it could be a question of liability.

Those numbers are the result of safety factors, not actual material strength. The safety factor can be whatever you want it to be. I'm guessing West Marine cranks up the saftey factor for CYA reasons (and to get you to upsize)

I see a problem with this, though. There was a thread here recently about folks upsizing their rigging without corresponding upsize in components. This could cause major stress and failure of the components.

Weyalan

Super Anarchist
FWIW, my trusty Harken catalog lists "typical rigging breaking strengths" of

AMERICAN wire as follows:

302 1x19 1/4" 8200 lb

316 1x19 1/4" 7090 lb

316 1x19 Dyform 1/4" 8844 lb

EUROPEAN wire

316 1x19 1/4" 7100 lb

It does not list Chinese / Taiwanese product... draw your own conclusions. Back in the dim & distant past, when I worked in the steel industry (in Scotland), I was taught that we always specifified European stainless, not Chinese.

sam_crocker

Super Anarchist
PNW
I see a problem with this, though. There was a thread here recently about folks upsizing their rigging without corresponding upsize in components. This could cause major stress and failure of the components.
As well as increasing the load on the mast, reducing its safety factor. Assuming of course that they knew how to tune a rig in the first place. Masts are delicately balanced systems when designed right.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ease the sheet.

ignoring stupid people is easy
when my chinese tv plays up i just get another one, when my mast goes over the side because i bought questionable quality rigging, well.....

Thorvald

Puget Sound
Is Skene's talking stainless or galvanised?
bingo!

What version/publish year is your Skene's there mr. thorvald?

If sufficiently old, they assumed galvanized steel.

-M
It's not that frigging old,only about ten years. Eight edition I believe, although I don't have it w/me at present. Clearly they are talking stainless, as it states, although they don't specify 304 vs 316. Just from memory the values from 3/16" through 5/16" are 4700,6300,8200,10300,& 12500. Increments of 1/32 ".

Bingo, my ass!