What's wrong (really) with Bavaria's?

eliboat

Super Anarchist
I think people diss Bavarias because they have a reputation for poor quality, as others have pointed out. The other thing that has really be mentioned so far is that they had a keel or two fall off, which is not a good look for any builder. Even if you are value engineering so as to meet the price point required for a certain market, you can not have keels falling off.

Joakim

Super Anarchist
Finland
First one should define which Bavaria models and era are we talking about and to which boats are we comparing them.

Bavaria has been around since 1978 and e.g. in early 90's a new Bavaria was more expensive than a X-Yachts of the same size. During the late 90's they began to automize production with J&J designed boats and late 00's went to Farr designed models.
Built by robots and cheap labour.
Yes with robots, but there is no cheap labour in Germany. X-Yachts and many others are buit in Poland etc. with much cheaper labour.

Hey, other than the Match models, most don't sink stupidly, partly because owners don't push them out of comfort zone.
Having owned a Bavaria 35 Match since 2011 I have to dissagree. About half of my sailing is racing and I do push the boat. Of coarse the conditions in the Baltic are not as hars as in some other places.

I was quite worried about the Bavaria 42 Match loosing its keel before I bought the boat. Here in Finland it's quite common to run into aground and it's mostly granite. I know a couple of boat yard owners doing grounding repairs and one of them did the reinforcement on all Finnish Bavaria 38 Matches after the 42 Match accident. According to them the keel structure of Bavaria is better built than Jeanneau and Beneteau and many others.

Bavaria laminates the grid, bulkheads and all interior to the hull (not to the deck) and doesn't use inner modules.

I had many options when I was looking for a boat in 2011. X-332, Dufour 34, First 36.7, Dehler 32 etc. I have never regetted the choise I made.

Then again I wouldn't by a Cruiser Bavaria. Although they sail much better than most think.

I don't remember hearing about a Bavaria that sank. One Match 42 lost its keel and one Cruiser its bulb. Maybe there are others. Bavaria made more than 3000 boats in a year during 00's so not that much percentually, but of course it should be zero.

Somebody Else

a person of little consequence
PNW
"Volvo driver" used to be a pejorative around here for a certain type of self righteous, semi intellectual yuppie who had the unspoken holier than thou attitude that driving a Volvo (or Saab) made them a better, more aware person than those who drove other cars - like they polluted less or something.

The pejorative "Volvo driver" has been supplanted by "Prius driver".
For all the same reasons.

Somebody Else

a person of little consequence
PNW
...not really.
In the USA, Tesla drivers are more like '70s-'90s BMW drivers.
They spent the extra bucks, they got the extra performance, they ain't afraid to use it, and they are smug.

The '70s-'90s Volvo drivers in the USA were -- as a class -- all scared half-wits.

"I can't drive worth a shit because I've got the attention span of a gnat and I'm scared I'm going to crash and/or someone is going to crash into me, ergo, I will use logic to buy the safest car built and I will always drive 10 MPH slower than the speed limit."

Expat Canuck

Anarchist
Salish Sea
The '70s-'90s Volvo drivers in the USA were -- as a class -- all scared half-wits.

"I can't drive worth a shit because I've got the attention span of a gnat and I'm scared I'm going to crash and/or someone is going to crash into me, ergo, I will use logic to buy the safest car built and I will always drive 10 MPH slower than the speed limit."
Unless it was the kids out on Friday night. Volvo wagons are a lot of fun in empty parking lots in the snow!