What's your favorite bit of sailing tech?

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
Ball bearing cam cleats.   The boats I sailed as a kid had horned cleats for all purposes, and I still think that a smooth cam cleat is a thing of magic.

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
Fiberglass
My grandfather considered fiberglass (he never owned a fiberglass boat, although he could have) a goddam Communist plot to ruin the sport of sailing.

I propose the follow test to see who prioritizes what advances in technology.

Let's give everyone a standardized boat similar to what I started with... wood planks, cotton sails, 3-strand lines, horn cleats.

Do you want- better sails, yeah but first let's not fucking sink. And if we can have a somewhat stiffer hull, that'd be real nice too.

Also a way to hold the lines better. No use in having better sails if the increased efficiency just goes into tightening wraps on bronze hardware.

Better lines to be held better, too. No use in having better sails if all they do is stretch your rope.

Maybe extruded aluminum masts would be considered in this Great Leap Forward level of technology.

Now let's talk better sails. Sails that don't pucker up around the tabling, when wet. Sails that don't rot in the bag. Sails that you don't need to carefully (CAREfully!!) iron before a light-air race.......

Are you all beginning to see why I am less excited about doo-dads with little glowing screens, as an indispensable sailing technology.

FB- Doug

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
Let's give everyone a standardized boat similar to what I started with... wood planks, cotton sails, 3-strand lines, horn cleats.
The boat I started on was a Shannon one-design, a 1920 design. it had all 4 features: wood planks, cotton sails, 3-strand lines, horn cleats.

We upgraded ours to braided ropes, but never made the leap to those new-fangled "terylene" sails which are now universal, or to non-horned cleats.

I loved the cotton sails.  They were so gorgeous to handle, much more poetic than the crinkly new stuff.  A jam cleat for the mainsheet would have been nice, but the real biggie was the braided ropes, which were much nicer to handle ... so I reckon my dad had his priorities right.   I think they should bring back the cotton sails.

hobot

Super Anarchist
5q7gx8.jpg

Ishmael

Fuctifino
59 minutes ago, TwoLegged said:

The boat I started on was a Shannon one-design, a 1920 design. it had all 4 features: wood planks, cotton sails, 3-strand lines, horn cleats.

We upgraded ours to braided ropes, but never made the leap to those new-fangled "terylene" sails which are now universal, or to non-horned cleats.

I loved the cotton sails.  They were so gorgeous to handle, much more poetic than the crinkly new stuff.  A jam cleat for the mainsheet would have been nice, but the real biggie was the braided ropes, which were much nicer to handle ... so I reckon my dad had his priorities right.   I think they should bring back the cotton sails.

Scoots right along, and looks good doing it.

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
Scoots right along, and looks good doing it.
The Shannon One is a gorgeous boat, and v well-suited to the Shannon.

Gybing them in a blow is interesting.  The Lough Derg yacht club used to like setting courses with a gybe mark near the clubhouse, so that the non-sailors could enjoy the carnage.

The Q

Super Anarchist
The Shannon One is a gorgeous boat, and v well-suited to the Shannon.

Gybing them in a blow is interesting.  The Lough Derg yacht club used to like setting courses with a gybe mark near the clubhouse, so that the non-sailors could enjoy the carnage.
Funnily enough our normal gybing point is outside the club house, though our older design Boats have some jib to spread the sail area..

I like that Shannon One design, it would probably do well on our waters..

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
16 hours ago, TwoLegged said:

That's a beautiful boat. I'd sail one of those, and only complain a little bit.

;)

FB- Doug

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
That's a beautiful boat. I'd sail one of those, and only complain a little bit.

;)
Most of the time upwind, the crew's arses are the gunwale, so it's far from comfortable.  The rounded-deck-level buoyancy tank of a 420/470/505 is much much nicer to sit on.  The beauty of the handmade SOD is a good choice only if you like suffering for beauty :D  

Latest posts