What's your favorite bit of sailing tech?

eric1207

Anarchist
Seattle
The original cheap Casio digital watch with a countdown timer on it……..
Yes!  Loved my old Casio, now RIP at the bottom of the lake.  I hate having a big clunky watch.  It gets caught on stuff, kind of like not wearing rings if you work with power tools/machinery.  

The Q

Super Anarchist
Cheap Casio Radio controlled watch, the club uses a radio controlled closed clock, no need to mess around with timers. When the strap breaks it can join all the others keeping the fish awake with my morning alarm clock..

PS still have the habit of removing all watches and jewelry at work, courtesy of spending most of my life working on high voltage high current equipment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dino

Anarchist
Ireland
The Shannon One is a gorgeous boat, and v well-suited to the Shannon.

Gybing them in a blow is interesting.  The Lough Derg yacht club used to like setting courses with a gybe mark near the clubhouse, so that the non-sailors could enjoy the carnage.
A lap of Goose Island and a blowy southwesterly was always fun to watch. 

Howler

It's a stupid little thing, but life is made up of stupid little things. In terms of pure sailing joy per dollar spent, I don't think anything beats the laser clew hook, especially if you frostbite, because you can attach and detach the clew without taking your gloves off or fiddling with lines.

Laser_Clew_Sleeve_on_boom__75316.1562946398.jpg

daan62

Super Anarchist
Care to share which gloves those are? I'm hunting for new gloves for frostbite season. 
go to a store and ask what kind of gloves the oppie kids use in winter... (the kids that return to the harbour without tears in their eyes...)

i bought thick GILL neoprene. something like this (just not junior):

https://www.watersportsoutlet.nl/2021-gill-junior-3mm-neoprene-winter-gloves-black-7672j-p-15534.html?products_id=15534&source=googleshopping&lang_ovd=en&currency=EUR&ds_rl=1279491&gclid=CjwKCAjw2bmLBhBREiwAZ6ugo8L7z7HcOl5BHIKt_B0CSLFMeZo-JgF5nTkCCy4jX81m9WAP8ulb-BoChUIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&a={6}174